Beats of Rage for DC, PS2, and Xbox

I have had no luck downloading this , are there any other places to get it, i.e. bittorent or DC? .. but anyway it really looks nice.... I know I can't wait :cheers

racketboy is my id, but just do a search for "Beats of Rage"

mine is 'Beats of Rage - DC'

BTW, for anyone that's interested, I'll host this (if I remember) on the two DC Sega hubs from 8:00am - 4:30pm Pacific Time for a few days.

I'm on a T1 and usually have plenty of slots open.

I'm pretty impressed with the game.

Very polished and it runs flawlessly on the DC as far as I can tell.

Like mentioned before, a few more moves would be nice.

Also, the characters move too slow -- especially without dashing.

Very nice play though!

Look forward to new versions and mods in the future.

BTW, does this only support 2 players? If so, 3 player support would be awesome!

After playing it last night, I have to say first off, it's a very good game.

I have a couple gripes with it, but let me first put it in perspective: I'm comparing this game to other games because it's just that good. It's so well done, I'm amazed. Realistically, this game could be packaged and sold as is, and be better than most commercial titles.

First and foremost, the game plays a lot more like Final Fight than Streets of Rage. The music does fit the SoR theme.

The other issue is the actual gameplay. The characters are too unbalanced. Max is obviously slow, but on top of that, his moves don't always connect. His jump kick is strangely high (try hitting those guys on the motorcycles with him!) Combo'ing with him is a pain, because his double tap move will pass right through/over the enemy (which happens often, since his regular punch has a really short range).

The blond haired chick is overall really weak, and unathletic (Mandy? I think). She has some pretty weak attacks. Her special is kindof annoying (it's very SNK inspired). She's slow on top of that. She really doesn't offer anything except a 'bounce' factor ala DOA, but it's a beat 'em up and eye candy really isn't eye candy when she's too busy getting her arse kicked.

The white haired chick (Mala?) is absolutely awesome. She combos brilliantly, has a really nasty double tap move, very fast, and takes damage really well. Her special is also pretty neat. That being said, even on hard using her makes the game pretty easy.

As a matter of preference I use Max from SOR2 exclusively when playing that game, so I guess my biggest gripe is that this max, even though designed to whup ass, is unintentionally weak. The Mandy person is definetly Skate redux, but is slower than Mala which is kind of a surprise. Mala is awesome.

The only moves that I could think of that would be necessary to add is a behind-attack (reverse punch, mule kick, etc) and behind-hold attacks. It takes some work to get behind a character, might as well make it worth it, right?

But again, I need to stress I really, really like the game. I wouldn't say it's better than SOR2 as some on other message boards have claimed, but it would have been a great commercial title for the DC. It's certainly better than almost all beat 'em ups from Capcom (exception - Alien v. Predator).

Konami makes the best Beatemups.

Maybe someday we'll see BOR get close to as good as TMNT, Simpson, or maybe even X-Men :D

It's Kula. And the reason the special attacks are SNK-inspired is that all the sprites are taken from KOF. ;) .. the 'Mandy' character is actually Blue Mary.

Personally, I think the game needs a 'forward+A' special like SOR2/3, not just the 'clear em out' thing which isn't that useful. Also, the special should only take life off if it actually connects.

I gotta disagree with you about those Konami beat 'em ups though, Racket. They are fun, but get wayyy too repetitive after awhile due to the lack of moves. And don't even get me started on X-Men. I like the game a lot, but what's up with Colossus' "mutant power" attack? Colossus never had any power like that! And who in their right mind would ever want to play as Dazzler, anyway? Why didn't they put a popular X-Man like Psylocke or Gambit in there?

X-Men might not be "technically" the best, but the feel was great. The dual-screen setup was mega sweet, the style was excellent, and the soundtrack was top-notch for the time.

The problem with X-Men is that you basically only have your regular attack, jump attack, and mutant power. There aren't even any throws in the game if I recall correctly. As I noted above, I still like the game, but it has failed the test of time IMHO. Play through the whole thing in an emulator and you'll realize it's just not that great.

Also, I never liked X-Men games that limit your use of mutant power. Like what, Cyclops can only fire his optic beam a couple times before he gets tired?

there are throws -- there's also attack on opponents that are down.

I like it and you can't change my mind :p

I'm glad that people like the game :)

Now to address some of your suggestions. First, people want more moves, and rightly so. However, because the characters are taken from kof, we are somewhat limited to what animation those games have to offer. In fact, we've already edited/redrawn a lot of sprites in order to use them in BOR. (E.g. biker-K', and grabbing people, kneeing them etc.) However, instead of making more moves in a game with ripped sprites, we've decided to make a new game that's better in every aspect (including more moves and totally new sprites). But making a game takes a loooot of time, so you'll have to wait quite a while for it.

Also, I was a bit supprised when I read this by MTXBlau

The Mandy person is definetly Skate redux, but is slower than Kula which is kind of a surprise.

The reason for my supprise is because Kula and Mandy have the same walking speed, and the speed of the moves is about the same too...

Back