BioHazard4... on PlayStation2!

Who the hell says that a genre in videogame on describes the GAMEPLAY? This makes no sense at all. Genre by definition is a style of art described by its content and similarities. May it be paintings with there themes (i.e. gothic) there look (i.e. surrealism, cubism) there topic (i.e. fiction, non fiction, political, biographical). Video Games, like music or movies or paintings, is creative ART.

Art - Human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature. (dictionary.com)

Videogames are art for the fact that it is humans trying to immitate real life through; drawings, 3d, story, interaction with the player, music, immitation of physics(i.e. half life 2), need i continue!

In such it should also be categorized like art would be. Thus keeping in mind its look, feel, and gameplay. Survival Horrors are usually third person perspective shorters with puzzles and a horrific atmosphere usually portrayed through cinematic angles. Seen in the still shots in games like RE or AitD and SH... This draws emotion out of the viewer of the art.

genre - A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, marked by a distinctive style, form, or content. [dictionary.com] for further proof... thats conitinue with composition

composition - Arrangement of artistic parts so as to form a unified whole.

So to continue... a genre of video game would be - A categorized arrangement of natural immitating or alerteration created by humans to create a videogame.

And many genres are defined by there creators - Cubism was developed between about 1908 and 1912 in a collaboration between Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque.[artcyclopedia.com] They chose to name it so, the creators of survival horror decided on that name!!!!!!!

OH OH OH, my logic is based on that of FACT and RESEARCH and general intuition you confrontational dick weed!

And I am sorry if this sounds like a flame to anyone else other then schmuck her crazygoon... but he just pissed me off when he wanted to judge my LOGIC by criticizing a stupid little post of mine that was also there to show how LITTLE I admittedly knew about MMORPG's. What the hell else would of I asked the question back there if I knew what one was?... I am an old school console gamer.

after playing the demo im really not shure that the ps2 will be able to pull it off. I defineatly think though that the gamecube version will be technically superior to the ps2. I hope that the ps2 programming staff are REALLY good at assembly language.

Originally posted by Ammut@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 11:46 PM

bailout.jpg

[post=122266]Quoted post[/post]​

Ha!

Well said Ammut! That just cheered me up big time!

:lol:

But I still must know one more thing...

WHY?!

Who the hell says that a genre in videogame on describes the GAMEPLAY? This makes no sense at all. Genre by definition is a style of art described by its content and similarities. May it be paintings with there themes (i.e. gothic) there look (i.e. surrealism, cubism) there topic (i.e. fiction, non fiction, political, biographical). Video Games, like music or movies or paintings, is creative ART.

As you just said, genre is described by its content and similarities. Would one not define video game genre by gameplay, then? We're talking about games, after all. Would you classify one piece of music with another because they were written with similar handwriting? Or one put one movie in the same genre as another because they share the same lead actor? In a few cases, perhaps, but generally not, because those aren't the defining elements of their respective arts, unlike the relationship between gameplay and games.

And many genres are defined by there creators - Cubism was developed between about 1908 and 1912 in a collaboration between Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque.[artcyclopedia.com] They chose to name it so, the creators of survival horror decided on that name!!!!!!!

Actually, I think most would consider cubism a movement, rather than a genre. IMHO an artistic genre would be more along the lines of 'pictures of nudes descending a staircase, ramp, or other incline-like object'. Of course none of this really matters in the least. ;)

ummm it290 i think i said that its MORE then just gameplay. and cubism is a movement and STYLE or (thesaraus at work here) GENRE.

Originally posted by it290@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 10:35 AM

As you just said, genre is described by its content and similarities. Would one not define video game genre by gameplay, then? We're talking about games, after all. Would you classify one piece of music with another because they were written with similar handwriting? Or one put one movie in the same genre as another because they share the same lead actor? In a few cases, perhaps, but generally not, because those aren't the defining elements of their respective arts, unlike the relationship between gameplay and games.

[post=122314]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes. If that was a genre trivia question then you would progress to the next round! :smokin:

And I've aswered your question about genres in your Is PSO a MMORPG thread, lordofduct. (if you really care)..

If anybody else wants to learn about game design, click the link - this ones a doozy! :banana

Well, to be really picky, this is no straight definition to what a genre is . A genre really relates more to audience interaction. For example, what are elements that define a horror genre? Now, couldn't these elements also intermingle with other genres as well? If so, then what is the "pure" form of the genre, per se? If anything, a genre is a set of conventions an audience follows and intuitively recognizes in a specific medium (books, games, paintings, music, etc.)

This , I all learned in Film Theory. What is bullshit, what is not in what I said... who knows. All I really know is that these pseudo-intellectual "my dick's bigger than yours" arguments are so yesterday, and the topic of this post was really about RE4 coming to the PS2.

If I sound pissy, it's because I go to small liberal arts college, and I've had it up to here with these academic pot shots everybody seems to be taking.

I like videogames. Who else here does?

Getting over my bit of depression, I got to thinking.

Why announce this now? Why not wait until after the GC version comes out? Why not wait until the six-month exclusivity period is up?

I mean, if Capcom can make more money this way (which they will), then this can be a good thing. The 'Cube fanatic in me is pissed, but the other parts of me not so much.

What I wanna know his how Mikami feels about this. He has publicly stated his dislike for $ony, and he made such a high claim that he will "cut off his head" if RE4 ever got ported.

At least I'm getting my version a year before others....

I know Capcom isn't a second party to Nintendo, but with this announcement also got me thinking

Does the GameCube even have any 2nd Party exclusives anymore?

Sure, you could count Rogue Squadron II and III, Eternal Darkness, and Twin Snakes, because they were second party when released, but Factor 5 and Silicon Knights have since gone third party. Who knows? Eternal Darkness could appear somewhere else someday...

PIEEEEEE, key lime PIEEEEEEE!... thank you alexvrb!

im sorry im sorry, fact geting in the way of others opinions

@tsumake-definition, its a DICTIONARY.... dictionaries give strait to the point DEFINITIONS!

im shutting up now, you know what im gonna ignore crazygoon and his whatever... bye bye! I am further ambarassed that I allowed you to irritate me, but atleast i can admit it!

Ladies and Gentlemen...

I present to you...

The first screenshot of Bio Hazard 4 on the PlayStation 2!

res4ps2.jpg

:lol: :p :thumbs-up:

C'mon, it's Capcom. They're willing to sacrifice anything to port a popular game to the system with the most users.

X-men Versus Street Fighter anyone?

*flashback* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Edit: Marvel vs Capcom PSX

*another flashback* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yeah, they might get it later, but does anyone remember the DC code:Veronica debacle??? So-called exclusive goes to PS2... with EXTRAS!!! The biggest slap in RE fans after going out and buying DCs just to play it... Let's face it... as much as we love CAPCOM... they are after only one thing... our CASH... and they'll get it by hook or crookery... :angry:

Back