C4 - 2008 discussion

RockinB said:
Hello dear Saturn devvers,

Since everyone has requested an extension and since I have to spent some more time on moving to my new flat before I can organize the judging proceedure, I'd suggest that we extend the C4-2008 deadline until 30th of april.

Hooray! :D

Just to be clear every entry must be a port of an existing game? Nothing else is allowed?

cgfm2 said:

Just to be clear every entry must be a port of an existing game? Nothing else is allowed?

you could do a port of one of your emus like c2 emu, tg16, ... or port a demo :)

Only one week left until the deadline on 30th april 2009. Entry submissions are accepted until 23:59 CET via e-mail to C4@rockin-b.de. For large Saturn disc images, please upload it to a free file hosting service like www.megaupload.com and then send me the link via e-mail.

It's best when you submit a ready-to-burn multi-region Saturn disc image. However, for devvers who only deal with binary executables (PAR upload), you can send me just the binary and tell me the RAM location were to upload it to.

cgfm2 said:

Ports in general are allowed, that includes games, demos, emulators and applications that have been developed for something else but Saturn (e.g. run on PC or some other videogame console, handheld videogame or some mobile phone, ipod, digital camera or the like).

Porting is quite fun, since you only need a few days to get an entry done. Everyone interested is invited to port cool stuff to SEGA Saturn. Seven days to go!

RockinB said:
Many thanks for your entry, Piratero!
NP. You should be one to thank! Thanks for having C4 :)

I didn't finish, so I might not have followed all the rules. Hopefully I won't be disqualified!

I submitted mine as well, not sure if it was late or not, but it was just a quick interface change.

Thanks everyone for submitting so much entries this year! I'm very happy that we got more entries in the contest than ever before :). So one positive effect of porting games as a contest goal has become true.

I'm sure the judges will like the entries, I'll play them myself the whole next weekend. The judging procedure will start as soon as possible within the next two weeks.

Thumbs up to the contestants, you've been very busy :bigthumb:

RockinB said:
Thanks everyone for submitting so much entries this year! I'm very happy that we got more entries in the contest than ever before :). So one positive effect of porting games as a contest goal has become true.

Great news, I hope to see many good ports, maybe it's the start of many ports coming to the Saturn like we can see on Dreamcast.

I'm sure the judges will like the entries, I'll play them myself the whole next weekend. The judging procedure will start as soon as possible within the next two weeks.

Thumbs up to the contestants, you've been very busy :bigthumb:

I can't wait to see all entries.

vbt said:
Great news, I hope to see many good ports, maybe it's the start of many ports coming to the Saturn like we can see on Dreamcast.

I can't wait to see all entries.
I doubt there will be as much commotion as the Dreamcast scene. But at least you're enthusiastic about it.

The Porting Party has been the most successful SEGA Saturn coding contest, there are 50% :rock: more entries than in the years before!

Now I'm looking for people who like to evaluate the entries intensively and finally give them a rating. The entries cover a broad range of game types, including:

• emulators
  • 2d shooter
  • puzzle game
  • 3d first person shooter

The judges need to have a SEGA Saturn and need to be able to run CD-Rs on it (either via swap-trick, or modchip). In addition, for one entry a RAM expansion cart would be nice. However, for the first time this year, not all judges need to judge using a real Saturn, some of them can use a good Saturn emulator (SSF), too.

If you'd like to be among the first to play the newest Saturn homebrew games, please contact me via PM or e-mail: C4@rockin-b.de

Piratero said:
Any updates? It's been a while.

Yes. There are eight judges currently judging all twelve :rock: entries. I expect that the judges will finish their rating sunday 13th september. Some days ago, I've received the first rating, it's very well done!

I'm currently recording videos of the entries and I find myself playing longer than I need to for the videos. Hopefully the DVD-R is big enough :)

Back