current us events

I think I'm about as well educated on it as I can get
smile.gif

4 years of catholic school religous ed classes (no, I'm not catholic)

HST101, history of europe & middle east from pre-history to 1600

HST102, history of europe & middle east from 1600 to present

AN110, evolution (more than you ever wanted to know)

After all that you know a lot more than you ever wanted to about the topic and more than any one website will explain >_<

there's a thing called "the flood" too that can explain a lot of that. Heard of Noah? I personally believe that dinosaurs could have existed. They just became extinct eventually just like a lot of former endagered species.
If so, there must have been a lot of floods. at least eleven, in fact, as you can see from almost any high school biology textbook. Another interesting fact is the number of fossilized people dating to more than a million years ago - zero.

Also, racketboy, what about the second and the third sentences of my post?
The fact that plants and animals can change over a period of time, the fact that DNA can change over a period of time, that DNA changes are hereditary and that changes in DNA controls the development of a plant or animals prove the theory of evolution completely. All of the preceding facts have actually been proven in laboratories, something Creationists have been asking for a long time.

to throw out pro-evolution support (since I threw out that note about the flood theory). The human genome project proved that 50% of your DNA is shared by a bannana. 80% of it is shared by a house cat. About 95% is shared by a chimp. 99.8% is shared with every other person.

What's this say? Everything shares much of the same coding for all the fundamental processes of life. That would tend to suggest one of two things:

1. Everything evolved fromt he same simple unicellular lifeform

2. God is a lazy programmer and constantly cuts and pasts from his Visual Life++ code base

wow i go to class and come back to 3 pages of posts. wow tha's all i have to say wish i was here when they were being posted since it would have been more easier to read(i didn't read most of page 3 skimmed it but what ever)

all i have to say is i agree with a lot of people's opinions i'm not going to say who but look at my avatar look at some of my sigs and piece together a picture of the type of person i am.

i'm going to just put in short points of view on things

1. religion- can't understand it. i don't try to understand it. but i learn as much as i want about it for i can respect everyone

2. humanity- when .2% is the only difference between me and you then what the fuck let's just all get along(damn hipie type thinking)

3.politics- It'll never be perfect. man went wrong when we were able to store stuff(that is where government comes in to alocate resources. politics is how resourses are alocated)

4.Earth- I think we should really start trying to save it.

5.Us(yes i mean us not U.S.)- We're all fucked if we can't accept everyone for what we are humans. Also we're all fucked because we place too much importance on things that we shouldn't.

To Jim:

"The Possesed," also known as "The Devils" by Dostoyevski deals extensively with points 2,3 and 5 of your post.

Politics is the study of power relationships and the manipulation of them, not necessarily allocation of resources, that's just one thing that governments handle. It's all about who has to bow to who. Making it absolute horseshit.

If people could just learn to respect each other, we'd be able to have a happy anarchy.

Originally posted by Rumata@June 26 2002,16:15

Also, racketboy, what about the second and the third sentences of my post?
The fact that plants and animals can change over a period of time, the fact that DNA can change over a period of time, that DNA changes are hereditary and that changes in DNA controls the development of a plant or animals prove the theory of evolution completely. All of the preceding facts have actually been proven in laboratories, something Creationists have been asking for a long time.

Sorry -- I'm not much of a DNA expert to know better.

But like falstaff said, just because I scientist says something, doesn't mean it's true.

If you are wonding about figuring that something (like trees) are millions of years old, it is possible that God created this world with living things that were already matured. Much like Adam and Eve are believed to be adults when they were created.

Anyway, I'm not going to keep ranting. I'm not an expert enough on certain things to keep debating forever. But I know what I believe. Like I said, it's just a faith thing.

I'm glad that we can all discuss our beliefs and still be able to respect each other. I commend you all for that.

If you are interested in discussing Christianity at all, just send me a private message..

Thanks again to all for sharing your thoughts.

That's all from me on this thread.

Have a good night!
smile.gif

i only like to get info off of people that know a lot about religion so racket if you know a lot about your religion i might have to question you in a debate style mannor till i get enough of that info off you. (i always debate things with highly religious people because most of them are full of their faith and give you way too much info over a simple debate, but that is a good thing for me since i learn what they tell me)

I think it's great, I hope they start changing the minting processes too soon.

Mind you, this is only in california, and not federal.

I'm just picturing an American public school heavily populated by people of Indian heritage changing the line to something like "under Vishnu", and having the very people pushing for this jump on them because it's "a perversion of the pledge" and "promotes a religion we do not want our children to practice". Or something like that.

when it comes down to it most amercains would say we're open minded towards things when in fact they're all looking through a pinhole towards things.

Originally posted by racketboy@June 27 2002,08:30

I have yet to see or even hear about any scientific "evidence" that proves evolution to be true.

God, however, is not "something" that can be proven. It is mearly a faith issue.

This is the one thing that really bugs me about debates regarding creation and evolution.

Those for creation have to offer no proof as they have faith.

Those for evolution are expected to have proof. That makes good sense.
sarcasm.gif

Just out of interest. Say the Earth and everything else was 'created'.

How do you know it was your God that did it?

Originally posted by mal+June 26 2002,19:55--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ June 26 2002,19:55)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@June 27 2002,08:30

I have yet to see or even hear about any scientific "evidence" that proves evolution to be true.

God, however, is not "something" that can be proven. It is mearly a faith issue.

This is the one thing that really bugs me about debates regarding creation and evolution.

sarcasm.gif

How do you know it was your God that did it?[/b][/quote]

Hell, how do you know a God did it at all?

Originally posted by mal+June 26 2002,19:55--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ June 26 2002,19:55)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@June 27 2002,08:30

sarcasm.gif

How do you know it was your God that did it?[/b][/quote]

Thats because science is the one that always says it has the proof. Religion only claims to have liturgy. But as I stated earlier, I believe an open minded examination of the fact would show they compliment each other on this creation issue.

As for the second point about who actually created the earth, if indeed it was created? I guess that would make that other person God or a God. Actually, from the bible's standpoint, this is in fact what took place. It states that God used a being that he created first to effect the creation, suppying this being with the necessary power and materials. It clearly states, "let us....".

But as I also stated earlier, Others have been argueing this point for decades. I doubt we here will find the "truth".

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@June 26 2002,19:34

I think it's great, I hope they start changing the minting processes too soon.

Mind you, this is only in california, and not federal.

Yes! I feel the same way.

Actually, this affects 9 states. Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.

Then again, even if it was only California, it still would affect me, and that still would make me a very happy boy.

To Mall:

How do you know it was your God that did it?
There are many reasons. First, many people believe that the only true belief is trusting into every word of the Bible. Others believe that turning away from one aspect of their religion endangers their belief as a whole. God brings meaning to life, and so it is foolish to expect someone to change his or her belief because of something someone says.

To FleaBttn:
Hell, how do you know a God did it at all?
Because it is an explanation. It is just as valid as any other, for there are really no facts in life. Everything that you know is a result of your interpritation of your senses. Someone else might have a different interpritation. Always. People used to think that time had a constant flow. What can be more difficult to dispute, considering our way of thinking relies havily on that fact (trust a cognitive science student), but were they ever wrong.

I do not say there is no God, my stand here deals solely with evolution. If there is God, it might be the cause of evolution, but saying that the theory is wrong is not a right thing to do, in my opinion.

Back