current us events

AHHHHH!!!! DUDE WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO? am i gonna get busted... oh wait i don't use irc... but still what are we gonna do?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@June 26 2002,20:48

AHHHHH!!!! DUDE WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO? am i gonna get busted... oh wait i don't use irc... but still what are we gonna do?

Take your cyanide pill...after you send me your valuables.

serously though, i thought the admins were saying sega was happy this was here since we are actually going out and buying the games and systems.

Truth is like a blind man explaining an elephant. Depending on which part he has his hands on, the elephant is a different animal entirely.

The greatest most compelling truths in life are the ones that you discover for yourself. I think education is good as it gives you a working foundation for explaining things, but to really be satisfied, you can never be satisfied with what someone else tells you is so. You need to experience it and come to your own conclusions. Things you discover in this way are much more satisfying.

WHAT THE HELL? I'm worried. SX is gonna be shut down isn't it...
sad.gif

eh what ever all things come to an end i'll just ramble about things somewhere else. since that's all i do on here is ramble on about nothing.

FLEABttn - I don't know that a God did it. I was asking the question of those believing in creation.

falstaff - I see where you are coming from with science demanding proof, but it does make proper debate difficult. ???

You address my point exactly when you refer to the bible for who it was that created the world. There are many different religions and cultures, some older than christianity, that have their own gods and creation stories. How do you know that your god created the world?

Is it just because the bible says so? What would you say to someone who believes as strongly in another god or creation story?

i wonder why nobody hasn't jumped in with other views on religion besides either aithiests(i can't spell) christians or me an agnostic.

and for the other topic that's going on in this topic of many topics Skank or anyone else that knows what the hell is IRC anyway i read that article you posted the link for what is IRC a chatting/file sharing program?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@June 26 2002,22:57

WHAT THE HELL? I'm worried. SX is gonna be shut down isn't it...
sad.gif

this isnt good
devil.gif
i wont be able to give Gallstaff hell anymore ???

Sigh, okay, since nobody seems to understand something as blatantly obvious as the previous picture, I'll step in for real.

There is no journalist employed anywhere outside of Appalachia who could ever write such an abso-fucking-lutely horrible story.

1. There are more spelling errors than any copy desk editor worth their salt would EVER allow past their desk. Having things in print written by a 3rd grader tends to mar a paper's reputation.

2. We journalists (and journalism students) have this thing called an inverted pyramid story structure. It is standard in all English-speaking countries. This article does not use it at all. The inverted pyramid is a block paragraph format (2-3 sentences per paragraph only) style that goes from ascending to descending in importance. It also require the entire story to be told int he first 3 sentences and the rest of it all accessory details. Example:

"The crisis over the sexual abuse of minors that is rocking the Catholic Church led to the removal of a popular Trenton priest this week, though his misconduct involved adults, church officials said Tuesday." (taken from June 26th Detroit Free Press).

At that point you can stop reading and know the entire story. WHO? - A Trenton priest. WHAT? - was removed. WHERE? - Trenton. WHEN? - This week. WHY? - sexual misconduct with adults.

In block paragraph formatting that is your entire first paragraph. This story was obviously written by someone with absolutely no journalistic background, so obviously they're not employed to write stories for a major news organization
tongue.gif

3. They named names. You cannot name people as under investigation. All you can say is "an Oakland Township area man is under investigation tonight...". By naming them, if they are found innocent you just set yourself up for a huge libel charge because that kind of print damages someone's reputation. Typically in crime related stories, you try to refrain from naming names unless the police have enough evidence to arrest them and arraign them on charges.

4. Nobody would ever print this story. It is missing the name of what representative at Sega told them this. You cannot simply omit these things. The article will lack any credibility and will never make it to the print desk. Even saying "an anonymous source said" is heavily frowned upon by most trustworthy news sources. One of the first things they teach you in journalism school is that a source who won't give you their name, age, or where they live is not a source at all. The only papers who would run with an anonymous source in criminal stories are the National Enquirer (see: The OJ trial).

And finally, did you notice the URL is techtvfansite.com yet all links are full links sending you back to techtv.com? Did you bother to see what's actually at techtvfansite.com?

Thank you and goodnight.

Back onto the real topic. I seriously hope that the 9th district ruling is reviewed and accepted by the supreme court. I would like to see it applied nationally.

Originally posted by mal@June 26 2002,21:24

FLEABttn - I don't know that a God did it. I was asking the question of those believing in creation.

Oh, it wasn't aimed at you. I'd consider it more of something that tried to build on your question.

On the creation thing...

Some really interesting point was mentioned... that maybe God created the world in an already "maturated" state.

Anyone seen Bladerunner? In that movie, they could put memory implants into the replicants, so they'd think they were real humans. Even being newly created, they had a whole life worth of memories. Unless they could find the facts that would prove that those memories were fake (i.e.: trying to research things about their past), they would never know it.

Now onto universe-scale: If a whole universe were created at once, but were created with a "built-in" past, how could the creatures living in it EVER find it out? How could they know that a 2-week old mountain is really 2-week old, if it has rock layers that requires millions of years to accumulate, and it has fossile samples that are already "aged", in all physical ways?

God could've implanted "memories" on our universe to make it look convincing (and make it work properly as well...).

But on the other hand... hmm... I do not doubt the existance of something as God. I speak for personal experience, that something far beyond our physical nature has influence over us. But, seriously, I wouldn't put my hand on the fire for the bible, as the "book-o-truth".

It wasn't written by God directly.

It's a collection of several "books", written (and re-written) by different persons, in different times, then packed together later. I do believe many parts of it actually express their authors' personal opinions (do they actually intended their text to be included there?).

I see it as a good book about God, and maybe the best self-help book ever (mostly due the new testamente), if you can get it right. But "God 101"? Hmmm... no, not for me.

Originally posted by DBOY@June 26 2002,02:53

Sigh, okay, since nobody seems to understand something as blatantly obvious as the previous picture, I'll step in for real.

There is no journalist employed anywhere outside of Appalachia who could ever write such an abso-fucking-lutely horrible story.

1. There are more spelling errors than any copy desk editor worth their salt would EVER allow past their desk. Having things in print written by a 3rd grader tends to mar a paper's reputation.

2. We journalists (and journalism students) have this thing called an inverted pyramid story structure. It is standard in all English-speaking countries. This article does not use it at all. The inverted pyramid is a block paragraph format (2-3 sentences per paragraph only) style that goes from ascending to descending in importance. It also require the entire story to be told int he first 3 sentences and the rest of it all accessory details. Example:

"The crisis over the sexual abuse of minors that is rocking the Catholic Church led to the removal of a popular Trenton priest this week, though his misconduct involved adults, church officials said Tuesday." (taken from June 26th Detroit Free Press).

At that point you can stop reading and know the entire story. WHO? - A Trenton priest. WHAT? - was removed. WHERE? - Trenton. WHEN? - This week. WHY? - sexual misconduct with adults.

In block paragraph formatting that is your entire first paragraph. This story was obviously written by someone with absolutely no journalistic background, so obviously they're not employed to write stories for a major news organization
tongue.gif

3. They named names. You cannot name people as under investigation. All you can say is "an Oakland Township area man is under investigation tonight...". By naming them, if they are found innocent you just set yourself up for a huge libel charge because that kind of print damages someone's reputation. Typically in crime related stories, you try to refrain from naming names unless the police have enough evidence to arrest them and arraign them on charges.

4. Nobody would ever print this story. It is missing the name of what representative at Sega told them this. You cannot simply omit these things. The article will lack any credibility and will never make it to the print desk. Even saying "an anonymous source said" is heavily frowned upon by most trustworthy news sources. One of the first things they teach you in journalism school is that a source who won't give you their name, age, or where they live is not a source at all. The only papers who would run with an anonymous source in criminal stories are the National Enquirer (see: The OJ trial).

And finally, did you notice the URL is techtvfansite.com yet all links are full links sending you back to techtv.com? Did you bother to see what's actually at techtvfansite.com?

Thank you and goodnight.

Back onto the real topic. I seriously hope that the 9th district ruling is reviewed and accepted by the supreme court. I would like to see it applied nationally.

dude if you didn't notice that site was written by a civilillian. It's on tech-tv fan site meaning that THEY watch techtve and write down what they said that day. You are wright that the names on the show weren't mentioned, but he probably was doing a bit of reasearch on his own as well. it doesn't have to look professionl since he's just writing down what he heard...

Some really interesting point was mentioned... that maybe God created the world in an already "maturated" state.

Anyone seen Bladerunner? In that movie, they could put memory implants into the replicants, so they'd think they were real humans. Even being newly created, they had a whole life worth of memories. Unless they could find the facts that would prove that those memories were fake (i.e.: trying to research things about their past), they would never know it.

Now onto universe-scale: If a whole universe were created at once, but were created with a "built-in" past, how could the creatures living in it EVER find it out? How could they know that a 2-week old mountain is really 2-week old, if it has rock layers that requires millions of years to accumulate, and it has fossile samples that are already "aged", in all physical ways?
That does not affect the debate one bit. It does not matter if the universe has developed to a state over a period of time, which is by itself a shaky subject, or if it appeared spontaneously exactly the same as if it developed over a period of time.

dude if you didn't notice that site was written by a civilillian. It's on tech-tv fan site meaning that THEY watch techtve and write down what they said that day. You are wright that the names on the show weren't mentioned, but he probably was doing a bit of reasearch on his own as well. it doesn't have to look professionl since he's just writing down what he heard...
Whoa! Are you really taking this seriously? Don't you think FBI has more important things to do than busting a SEGA game FTP alliance? FBI does not even deal with this sort of things. Who shut down Napster, FBI?

and all these things and more are why i'm agnostic.

I don't understand it all i will never understand it all so i don't try to understand it. I mean i have more complicated thinking on this subject but i mean that basically sums up some of my stance on religion.

Originally posted by Rumata@June 26 2002,13:52

Whoa! Are you really taking this seriously? Don't you think FBI has more important things to do than busting a SEGA game FTP alliance? FBI does not even deal with this sort of things. Who shut down Napster, FBI?

i don't think the fbi so much as that millium copy right act or whatever would.

I'm sure this is what everyones waiting for, yeah Some old skool Judaism,. I attend a pretty conservitave service, and i talk about this with our Rabbi's all the time.

I' have to belive that the bible is directly the word of god, but once more i like to give god more credit then giving us a direct message. I see the bible (Old Testment only!) as a a set of ideals or guidelines not as a history textbook.

As for currency and the pledge, in both cases the god part was ADDED, for currency during the Civil War inorder to inspire moral support for the Northern Forces, hmm taking god's name in vane(for war!) not a good value to hold our nation too.

As i see it Evolution is how life was the created but when i get so far back and i wonder what sparked everything off, what was the very begining, i have to belive in something supernatural.

Go Judiasm!

Originally posted by jim993@June 27 2002,09:54

and all these things and more are why i'm agnostic.

I don't understand it all i will never understand it all so i don't try to understand it. I mean i have more complicated thinking on this subject but i mean that basically sums up some of my stance on religion.

Do you ever think that maybe you should at least try to understand it -- you don't have to understand it all -- nobody does. After all, as many believe, "religion" (a term I don't especially like, personally) may have an influence on your eternal destiny (aka heaven, hell, or [insert other eternal state here]).

If you are even remotely interested, I would be glad to share my beliefs in more detail to anyone on a personal level.

Until then, I gotta get back to work
smile.gif

Back