Danger Danger Mac People

And you all thought MS was bad when it came to OS'. Read here for an interesting look at the wonderful stuff Apple has cooked up with it's latest OS upgrade (this is what like the 3rd or 4th one this year?)

well it's better than not fixing it at all.

how many times has MS released patches this year? a lot

that's why there's Windows Update :)

although, as I've heard one person say, using Mac OSX is basically like being in a beta testing group :)

software is always rushed out the door these days incredibly quickly it seems. No matter what you're doing on a pc, it feels like a beta test. with that said I was in a radio shack last week with a computer on display that was BSOD'd lmao.

It all comes back to the "on time, within budget, working. pick 2."

It's just a glitch. Okay... sure it's a BIG glitch, but it's only one glitch. What did M$ do with WinME? And with all these Windows patches, that's what they exactly are: Patches that help patch holes up, that'll keep hackers and shit from coming in. Do they add to the stability of the OS? No. How about improve performance? No. Apple will solve this problem. They aren't like $ony, where they just shrug it off, and continue what they do.

I kknow $ony has nothing to do with this, but that's still a good example.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Oct 31, 2003 @ 11:28 PM

They aren't like $ony, where they just shrug it off, and continue what they do.

great... I think you just called Des-Row into this thread....

I lost faith in Apple, hardcore. They can't seem to do anything right anymore. From making new OSs, to programs that don't work, not to mention the browser I'm using right now...

:damn: :damn: :damn:

Only one of those emoticons is animating for me right now. If I set that picture as the background for a table, it wouldn't animate at all. And it's other big things like iDVD can't burn a DVD, you know, the thing iDVD was made to do.

Originally posted by Cloud121@Oct 31, 2003 @ 06:28 PM

It's just a glitch. Okay... sure it's a BIG glitch, but it's only one glitch. What did M$ do with WinME? And with all these Windows patches, that's what they exactly are: Patches that help patch holes up, that'll keep hackers and shit from coming in. Do they add to the stability of the OS? No. How about improve performance? No. Apple will solve this problem. They aren't like $ony, where they just shrug it off, and continue what they do.

You've gotta be kidding me...

Windows Updates can update ANYTHING in Windows, they aren't limited to just patching security holes and stuff. Very often, stability issues will be ironed out by patches too.

And at least one patch I remember checking off, did relate to performance.

That reminds me, need to update again soon...

Then there is the little fact that it appears that Apple will not be providing patches for OS 10.2.8 (which is the latest just before Jaguar) that fix 3 LARGE security holes in the OS. Their solution...upgrade to Jaguar at a retail price of $120 or so. At least MS provides the patches free of charge. Hell they still patch old OS' (within reason) while Apple makes you BUY a whole new "upgrade" just to patch security holes. I mean come on who the hell is gonna BUY so many damn OS upgrades that Apple just seems to love to release. At least MS waits a few years before charging you for a new version.

I agree that the rate at which Apple releases new versions and sells them for full price is ridiculous (especially considering the OSX series has not been great for software compatibility during its brief lifespan so far), but I was under the impression that the security holes to which you refer only effected 10.3 anyway.

Originally posted by it290@Nov 1, 2003 @ 01:44 AM

I agree that the rate at which Apple releases new versions and sells them for full price is ridiculous

If you want to talk about ridiculous, let's talk about how most PCs come with "restore CDs" and not the actual release of the Windows OS, unlike Macs which come with the actual MacOS disc. You get what you pay for.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Nov 1, 2003 @ 09:43 AM

Then there is the little fact that it appears that Apple will not be providing patches for OS 10.2.8 (which is the latest just before Jaguar) that fix 3 LARGE security holes in the OS.

Untrue.

Hmm...another way to look at the cost of the upgrade is that they are usually more than just a few patches. Sure they only increment the version number by .1, but usually they added a whole host of new features and improvements. Some aren't all that obvious (like Quartz Extreme), while others (like the iApps suite) far more so. Why they choose rate these featues only a .1 increment on the version number I can't fathom.

That said, most of what Apple does in it's new upgrades for $100+, MS provide for free. However, some of the OSX "upgrades" are more of a pain in the arse (I HATE finder). Curious strategy they have there...

If you want to talk about ridiculous, let's talk about how most PCs come with "restore CDs" and not the actual release of the Windows OS, unlike Macs which come with the actual MacOS disc. You get what you pay for.

Eh? I've never seen this. OEM versions, sure, but it's still a full version of Windows. Then again, I've never bought a PC with an actual OS included anyway. Besides, that has more to do with the manufacturer of the PC (it's their choice what to include) than Microsoft. Not that I have any love for Microsoft. I haven't met anyone who actually likes Apple's upgrade policies though. Since you paid the premium for Apple hardware, don't you feel you should be entitled to a free OS upgrade or two? Especially if you bought your Mac only a month or so before the new release? Or is that extra cash just the penalty for not waiting?

Also, I saw someone mention on Slashdot that if Apple wants to get into the server market (as they have been trying to do), failing to support older releases of the OS is a bad idea. Admins don't want to continuously install new versions and risk breaking things.

Originally posted by it290+Nov 1, 2003 @ 12:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(it290 @ Nov 1, 2003 @ 12:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Eh? I've never seen this. OEM versions, sure, but it's still a full version of Windows. Then again, I've never bought a PC with an actual OS included anyway. Besides, that has more to do with the manufacturer of the PC (it's their choice what to include) than Microsoft.[/b]

No, I didn't say you don't get the "full" version of Windows, I just said you don't get the actual release, you know, in the official MS Windows box.

<!--QuoteBegin-it290
@Nov 1, 2003 @ 12:32 PM

Also, I saw someone mention on Slashdot that if Apple wants to get into the server market (as they have been trying to do), failing to support older releases of the OS is a bad idea. Admins don't want to continuously install new versions and risk breaking things.[/quote]

Yeah, that's one thing they haven't been smart about, while most Windows things support legacy, and lots of stuff can still run on Win95.

Besides, many PC boxes are cheap either because they can mass produce the hardware at a low. With Macs, you're paying for style.

Which is not really a good thing. It's like comparing scooters to motorbikes.

Scooters go in and out of style all the time (the Mac), while motorbikes stay around and don't really lose or gain much style unless the owner mods them.

Maybe that wasn't a very good analogy, but I didn't want to get into a Mac vs. PC discussion anyways.

Nah it was fine.

Someone said you cant install windows on more than one machine but i've installed my legit 2k on i think like 3 comps (only 1 being mine). Now why should I not be able to do this? I never heard of that before. I paid for it and I think I should be able to use it whatever the hell way I want, why wont micorsoft let me do that?

Try it with a legit copy of Windows XP, the product activation wont let you. And yes, its illegal to install windows on more then 1 pc, they think you should have to buy seperate copies for each machine. Like licensing at a school.

Oh... well they can suck my sloppy man meat because there's no way in hell i'm doing that :)

Plus, how would they even be able to tell?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Nov 1, 2003 @ 08:50 PM

Someone said you cant install windows on more than one machine but i've installed my legit 2k on i think like 3 comps (only 1 being mine). Now why should I not be able to do this? I never heard of that before. I paid for it and I think I should be able to use it whatever the hell way I want, why wont micorsoft let me do that?

It may be possible to physically install copies of Windows, but it's against MS's licencing policy and is illegal.

for the Mac it is not

Back