Daytona CCE (US-EURO) Versus Daytona CCE (Jap)

vbt

Staff member
I read yesterday that the Japanase release of Daytona CCE had more improvements than I thought. It seems there are smoother textures and a better playability. I played mainly on Daytona CCE (EURO) and remember that cars are above unplayable except the daytona car. Did someone notice those great changes between those two releases (excluding night races and link mode) ?

Yes there are a bunch of changes. In the japanese version, for example, you can drive at night. So it's basically the same version as Daytona CCE Netlink Edition.

edit : oops sorry I didn't notice that you worried strictly on the gameplay aspects. Therefore, heck, no idea. For sure, still, even the Jap version sucks compared to Sega Rally's gameplay.

I played my US copy of Daytona USA CCE extensively before I was able to get a hold of the Japanese CCE version. Mind you I'm not talking about any of the regular "non-CCE" Daytonas here, although I played that one briefly as well.

Between the US and Japanese CCE versions, there is no difference other than the Japanese version has Netlink and the hidden dusk/night/dawn racing modes. Nothing else - textures etc. look the same, cars handle the same, just the main menu is laid out slightly differently because of the inclusion of Netlink (a mere detail).

:blush: ok, ok I asked those questions beceause I read Daytona CCE review at Shinforce. Here is a little extract :

> One interesting addition to the Japanese version is the camera panning around the car before a race begins. A polished demonstration of the in-game 3D graphics. Also present in the Japanese version are even smoother textures in and throughout the courses. These smoothened textures are prominent on the Dinosaur Canyon track; the mountainous trackside detail has gotten a coat of polish....

> The car handling is improved over the American/PAL versions, and thus makes for a very maneuverable racing game. The powerslides are easier to initiate, maintain, and much easier to pull out of than before.

When I read this review I have the feeling the game was really improved and I was agreably suprised but it seems it's not fully right :( .

I'll try to test myself if I find a little time (I have Euro and Jap releases but played only at Euro version) . :driving: :driving:

Think they might've been comparing the Japanese CCE version to the American *regular* version? That or they were just full of it. I swear by my left index finger, all the CCE versions are the same (save for Netlink).

> One interesting addition to the Japanese version is the camera panning around the car before a race begins. A polished demonstration of the in-game 3D graphics. Also present in the Japanese version are even smoother textures in and throughout the courses. These smoothened textures are prominent on the Dinosaur Canyon track; the mountainous trackside detail has gotten a coat of polish....

> The car handling is improved over the American/PAL versions, and thus makes for a very maneuverable racing game. The powerslides are easier to initiate, maintain, and much easier to pull out of than before.

I think that when talking about the textures, they compare CCE to the Original Daytona.

Although CCE was released last in Japan, wasn't it? Seems strange to compare it to the original Daytona when the new one was out all over the world when Japan got theirs.

I've only played the PAL-version of CCE, but after this topic I would like to see it. Altough I like the original version, the windows with cloudreflections looks alot better in the original Daytona, IMO. And that's what's important when it comes to racinggames, isn't it? ;)

I have EURO version of Daytona CCE and the Japanese version which is called Daytona Circuit Edition. The graphics in the Jap version are a little better because of improved textures, this is more noticeable in the Dinosaur Canyon track, the bridge of the canyon is much better done, etc. But both versions are basically the same.

Back