Diversity in Gaming COmmunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by ExCyber@Aug 21, 2003 @ 11:27 PM

Whites just prefer to seperate into even smaller groups

Sweet! Now I just need to find the United Anglo-Franco-German-Probably-A-Couple-Other-Undetermined-Western-European-Countries-And-One-Sixty-Fourth-Cherokee College Fund and I'll be on my way to that EECS degree. :cool:

Cousin ExCyber!? :eek:

oh, . I misread that. :blush:

I thought you said "United Anglo-Franco-Scotish-Probably-A-Couple-Other-Undetermined-Western-European-Countries-And-One-Sixty-Fourth-Cherokee College Fund"

.. ohh, so close. ;)

Why can't you learn to be more like these white people:

http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com/

sure :)

Originally posted by Jeff+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Tindo@heart

and maybe even the "United White people college fund" for the poor kids. ..

There already is! Black just happen to be the largest ethnic group. Whites just prefer to seperate into even smaller groups:

For example, http://polishscholarship.com/[/b][/quote]

No there is not. That's polish! not skin color! Please don't misinterpret my comments. I'm not racist; one of my best friends is Black. :p I love to touch my black best friend's silky smooth hair.

There are groups for EVERY white ethnic group. Why do you have a problem with Black people who have an education giving money back to students who may share a similar desire? You don't give to the fund; black do.

it seems more to me like African Americans (to be politically correct) are trying to bank on what their ancestors had to go through.

This is the same tired argument:

Natives should stop whining about genocide-- that was a hundred years ago. We gave them reservation! Blacks should stop whining about slavery. We let them go.

Just be patient enough to forget that you are white and that you are supposed to disagree with me. Don't you think that a native american or african american may have some difficulties due to the history that you do not have? That they may have special needs based on a historical obstacle?

Do white honestly believe natives and blacks have the same opportunities they have? A "backlash" is an emotional reaction (resistance) to change. But change is healthy. Taking away someones land or freedom or pride can cause damage that takes generations to recover from.

You're different and articulate, you're not like other Black people! You said "Taking away someones land or freedom or pride can cause damage that takes generations to recover from" . .

.but aren't organizations like the NAACP(National Association for the Advancement of Colored) trying to do that just that. No disrespect, bro. . . but this organiztion would never allow an "All-white" organiztion to ever form. They have recently took away the South Carolina State flag! A Flag of US history, of land, of freedom, and of pride. A flag that "black" people themselves have fought for! That does cause damage.

Do not complain about a special African-American History Class at your school. The "regular" history class is focused on a particular culture. You don't have to take the black class. But let it be an option for students who want to learn more about it. The "White Entertainment Network" is every other channel.

Whoa! bro. you be actin' like black is a handicap when ya'll always be raising the roof. "regular" class is not centered on skin color. "Black history" is. Does this honky sense an inferiority complex? . . Nah, I just be playin.

If you don't see Martin Luther King as a hero, there are plenty of holidays celebrating white men. George Washington even had slaves and Blacks still respect his holiday. So why can't you see equality doesn't mean blending in with you or seeking pity. We just want you to respect our differences.

Everytime I ask to be heard, you hear "pity". Respect is not pity. It is being open-minded to entertain the possiblity that you are not always right.

Hey bro? you remember what Martin's Luther's dream even was? For little black kids to play on the same playground and hold hands . . or somthin'. That sounds like blending in.

My own mother had to watch a lynching.

Don't tell her to get over it. She has a right to say she doesn't want you to say "######" even if you are just doing it for your own personal amusmement. You simply do not have the right to decide she is "too sensitive". Stop typing the N word to make yourself a more considerate person. It is not your concern if others use it. Just respect someone if they ask you to stop.

It is not pity. It is called being a decent human being.

Word to yo momma. :cool:

"If you don't see Martin Luther King as a hero, there are plenty of holidays celebrating white men. George Washington even had slaves and Blacks still respect his holiday. So why can't you see equality doesn't mean blending in with you or seeking pity. We just want you to respect our differences.

Everytime I ask to be heard, you hear "pity". Respect is not pity. It is being open-minded to entertain the possiblity that you are not always right."

I NEVER hear about when it's washington's b-day...but EVERYONE hears about martin's. What I am getting at is that his is a more celbrated holiday...now white ppl might not rejoice on the streets and shit, but do u really exspect them to?

and about the "N word", how is it good for a black guy say to his black friend "sup nigga'?" but if a white guy says the same thing to his black friend, it's a hate crime. everyone call call mexicans wetbacks, call white ppl crackers, etc. and they dont get in trouble. why can't I say "sup nigga'?" to a black friend? why is that bad? I think the only reason it's an issue is ppl have to keep on treating it like it's a HUGE deal. that's why "cracker" isn't rlly considered an insult, cuz ppl just laugh at it. THEY DONT TAKE IT TO HEART! Now if a guy is saying it in a derogitory(sp¿) manor, then yes he is in the wrong but I dont think it should be any worse then callin u a pig fucker, bastard child, (add insult here), etc.

For some reason I feel the need to address the arguments made here, too.

No there is not. That's polish! not skin color!

I think you're getting caught up in the word 'black' - it's not simply a color but can be used interchangeably with 'African' - in which case, how is that different from Polish?

but aren't organizations like the NAACP(National Association for the Advancement of Colored) trying to do that just that. No disrespect, bro. . . but this organiztion would never allow an "All-white" organiztion to ever form.

There are a number of all white clubs, most notably the KKK. Such an organization is allowed to exist under a number of amendments, including the freedom of speech. NAACP is primarily black, but does not preclude other ethnicities - colored persons (you missed a word) includes any non-white entities.

They have recently took away the South Carolina State flag! A Flag of US history, of land, of freedom, and of pride. A flag that "black" people themselves have fought for! That does cause damage.

This one made me laugh. It wasn't the state flag. The state flag is blue, with a crescent moon and a palmetto tree. The flag that was taken down from the courthouse was the Confederate flag, which is the complete opposite of what you just stated (re: the worst period in the history of the U.S.) .

Whoa! bro. you be actin' like black is a handicap when ya'll always be raising the roof.

It's simply a matter of statistics. This isn't anything new, and it's moot to argue, ostensibly, facts.

Hey bro? you remember what Martin's Luther's dream even was? For little black kids to play on the same playground and hold hands . . or somthin'. That sounds like blending in.

Sounds more like the end of the Jim Crow laws, which stated 'Separate but Equal' - when it really and truly wasn't. And I think the line you're thinking of is: "I have a dream... my four little children, will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" (I have an audio tape of the actual speech - very moving).

and about the "N word", how is it good for a black guy say to his black friend "sup nigga'?" but if a white guy says the same thing to his black friend, it's a hate crime. everyone call call mexicans wetbacks, call white ppl crackers, etc. and they dont get in trouble. why can't I say "sup nigga'?" to a black friend? why is that bad?

The word was essentially reclaimed, like 'queer' and 'faggot' have been by the gay community, and 'dyke' and 'cunt' by feminists. As cliche as it sounds, it's a sign of universal struggle. Something along the lines of a white friend calling another 'cracker' (in the way of the lack of offensive, not symbolic of struggle).

As for calling people wetbacks and crackers - you should do a search on google as to how many people have lost jobs because of such slip ups. There was a notable one recently, I can't remember who or where it was.

If a black friend finds it offensive that you say it, then obviously, don't say it. In the same way you don't go around calling all your friends 'motherfucker' and expect them to be happy with it, calling black friends '#######' requires... ahem, some discretion.

This thread started as a way to APPRECIATE diversity here...

But now it could be retitled "What White Men Don't Like about People Who are Not Exactly Like Them."

I give up. If you refuse to acknowledge African-Americans as an ethnic group just as Polish-Americans, it is obvious to me that you have already decided what you believe and no facts opposing can change your mind.

Just as the KkK has a right to exist (I am sure they allow non-whites), you have a right to be selective in what you see in this world.

I confess, the whole Rodney King beating, MLK, and Negro College fund was all just faked as part of a conspiracy to annoy you guys. Pretty good, huh?

So, I'll just hit on your women to piss you off in the meanwhile... Hey fisted justice, You know you're curious... All the stereotypes about Blacks are not true EXCEPT for those about dancing, sports, and sex. Lemme phone you and we'll discuss it some more over candlelight and cornbread.

Originally posted by jeff-20@Aug 22, 2003 @ 12:43 PM

This thread started as a way to APPRECIATE diversity here...

But now it could be retitled "What White Men Don't Like about People Who are Not Exactly Like Them."

I give up. If you refuse to acknowledge African-Americans as an ethnic group just as Polish-Americans, it is obvious to me that you have already decided what you believe and no facts opposing can change your mind.

Just as the KkK has a right to exist (I am sure they allow non-whites), you have a right to be selective in what you see in this world.

I confess, the whole Rodney King beating, MLK, and Negro College fund was all just faked as part of a conspiracy to annoy you guys. Pretty good, huh?

So, I'll just hit on your women to piss you off in the meanwhile... Hey fisted justice, You know you're curious... All the stereotypes about Blacks are not true EXCEPT for those about dancing, sports, and sex. Lemme phone you and we'll discuss it some more over candlelight and cornbread.

What in the FUCK are you talking about? You're just trying to make us seem like these insensitive cracker-ass racists. We're trying to tell you again and a-freaking-gain that we do understand where you're coming from but we're also trying to tell you that we just have different views because we are white...er.

You dont have to get all pissy and shit and treat us like we're all members of the KKK and say like we all follow the stereotypes that, it seems like, you want us to actually believe to get pity for you.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Aug 21, 2003 @ 10:45 PM

What in the FUCK are you talking about? You're just trying to make us seem like these insensitive cracker-ass racists. We're trying to tell you again and a-freaking-gain that we do understand where you're coming from but we're also trying to tell you that we just have different views because we are white...er.

I understand Jeff's concern, as well as all others; perhaps it's a better way to look at the situation:

Rather than point out small inconsistencies, look at the big picture as to what it really means. These small things, like Affirmative Action, NAACP, etc, are only sub-issues of a bigger whole.

A Black 'business fair' on it's own may seem separatist, but given all that was said, it's my belief that a number of you could come to a different conclusion (even if you don't agree with it). And the same goes for a lot of things.

Again, it's really a big picture issue. Getting lost in 'well they can...' and 'they're have...' and 'they're allowed to...' does no one any good. Obviously the other side of the coin has blacks saying the same thing about whites. And so it goes on. And on.

Finally, I think that this thread should probably be locked before it turns into a flame war. I think this thread has run its course.

No really, I don't think you're "crackers". You really got us. I knew we couldn't cash in on that slavery thing forever...

In fact, the Black Business Expo is where we all get together to make fun of how white people talk, dance, etc. Occasionally we even conspire to steal your hubcaps.

The government for years has been secretly compensating us for your White guilt with Food Stamps and NBA draft positions. White Guilt = the assumption that Blacks and Indians want pity for all the sick-o stuff you guys did ... (we actually just want your chicks). :p

No, really -- I'm done. It's all cool now. Let's just talk about games and forget we ever dug deeper than that. This IS a game site. ;)

Originally posted by MTXBlau+Aug 22, 2003 @ 08:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTXBlau @ Aug 22, 2003 @ 08:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
They have recently took away the South Carolina State flag! A Flag of US history, of land, of freedom, and of pride. A flag that "black" people themselves have fought for! That does cause damage.

This one made me laugh. It wasn't the state flag. The state flag is blue, with a crescent moon and a palmetto tree. The flag that was taken down from the courthouse was the Confederate flag, which is the complete opposite of what you just stated (re: the worst period in the history of the U.S.)[/b]

Glad I could make you laugh. You'll bust your gut when you learn what my current home state is! :D Yup, I have the flag you mention on my car's tag. :auto

I'll pay more attention at the next klan rally. :sarcasm:

I actually know it is the Confederate flag, I just didn't know I worded my sentence so poorly. "They have recently took away the South Carolina State flag!" should have read more like "They have took away the State of South Carolina's flag" . . or somethin' . but you got it.

I know it's not SC's flag, but it's on every government building in Columbia. I actually see Confederate flags now more than ever. The very act of trying to remove this piece of history has caused it to spread to the point you can buy $1 Confederate flags at every corner. My neighborhood alone has several flag poles not for the American flag, but the Confederate flag. There are flag poles like that in many yards throughout this state.

. . . . and here's a BIG shocker!!! Black people buy and wear them!!!

Yes!! it's true!! Some black people do respect the history behind the Confederate flag! I have even spoke to some black people who's families (yea! black family) has fought under that flag. These black people are just as upset at the atrocities of removing a symbol of history and progression.

That was my point. That both Jeff and I agree at the damage done from people trying to remove pride, history, and heritage from people.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@

I think you're getting caught up in the word 'black' - it's not simply a color but can be used interchangeably with 'African' - in which case, how is that different from Polish

I'm getting caught up in the word black? . . now that is funny. Black entertainment television, Black history month, Black movie awards, black black black black. Why can't it be called African-American. I don't understand why skin color or any color defines a nationality.

From my Native-American heritage I would feel really uncomfortable if I was described as red-skin. "Red History month" :lol:

I'm just saying if African-Americans wish to be known more than their skin color, then they need to be the ones to stop separating themselves by it. I would really be more interested in "African American month" than "Black History Month" simply from the name alone. The name alone is offensive.

Imagine Asian's having "Yellow History Month"?? :huh

<!--QuoteBegin-Jeff

confess, the whole Rodney King beating, MLK, and Negro College fund was all just faked as part of a conspiracy to annoy you guys. Pretty good, huh?

[/quote]

You've got real probs bro. First you want to explain how you want to be different and separated from whites. . . . but then you make this comment. I'm sure it's not a serious statement and meant only to try to piss someone off. . . Not me. I could care less. If you date an opposite race mate that makes you truly happy, Great! . . but if you do it in the vengeful manor that you claim . . then that is just sad and neglectful.

With all seriousness, honestly, and kindness from my heart I say this:

I think the main problem here is self-esteem and self-image. With a healthy self-image you can go anywhere and be anything. It is NOT how the world perceives you, it's how you perceive yourself.

PS. I'm still curious why you use a white dutch boy for your avatar? :huh

First you want to explain how you want to be different and separated from whites. . . .

What?

Where did you get the idea I wanted to be seperate??? Did you think I brought this topic up to chase away all the white gamers? This is just getting goofy.

Hitting on the girl was obviously a joke. I say let's drop the topic because I honestly don't think it is possible to understand and be understood. This is a game site. I don't want to learn anymore about you that is non-game related. :)

And by the way, the avatar is white because the MAN wont allow any Black avatars on the internet! No, I don't know what that thing is... I just thought the eyes were funny. Just cuz I'm black doesn't mean my avatar has to be a Zulu warrior or somethin' :p

At this point I think it's safe to say that this thread has run its course. As jeff and others have noticed, it's just getting goofy. Let's end it on an up note, shall we?

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back