Diversity in Gaming COmmunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do ppl even have to bring race up? If you notice...it's the white ppl who dont rlly care about it and usually drop it and it's always the minorities that always bring up "poor picked on me, blah, blah, blah"

Matter of perspective, essentially. Being 'white' isn't a stigma, but for other ethnicities living in the U.S., it's a poignant reminder even if it's not actually referred. That being a case of oversensitivity is a matter of opinion (and/or debate elsewhere).

I should get in the same ammont o trouble if I call my white female secretary a whore or call my black female boss a ###### whore (sorry for the bad language, I just perfer things blunt and how they are opposed to beating around the bush)

Unfortunately, one says something about a person's sexual history, and the other (historically) says something about their sexual history as well as mental capabilities in reference to the insulter. It's a matter of perspective - the receiver can't know the intentions of the giver without being explicitly told... if a black employee were to refer to her black boss as such, the intention would be implicitly different.

Basically I am just trying to say a slur should be taken as it is....a slur and not taken to the next level....if sumone thinks themselfs superior to you then good for them, let them.

Again, that's a matter of perspective. One could argue by allowing it continue, it won't die down but simply go on. Even in some areas of the United States that is true (sadly enough).

doing so is just as bad as demanding white ppl to pay you $$ for what your ancestors went through....there is no reason why ppl should get money for such a thing, they never had to go through it.

The argument for reparations is multi fold. Firstly, those ancestors were forcibly 'imported' by slavers and the slave trade. Because of this, the earning potential of those people (since being slaves) were completely limited. Even after the disestablishment of slavery, those former slaves, without training in other fields (and for a large majority, lacked proper english capabilities) had to continue working on the same fields for a pittance. Since money is short in coming, and laws, while disallowing slavery, were severly geared toward downward mobility of blacks, the earning potential is still lacking. Given that, moving with little or no capital seems irrational compared to staying put and actually being able to eat.

Granted, that's a fairly extreme case. But it highlights one argument. And it in a sense argues that they do have to go through it.

Moving along, the United States Gov't never actually formally recognized the slave trade or the damages that were inflicted. The clamor for reparations serves as a cry for recognition of such. And finally, and most importantly, when Japanese Americans were rounded up for internment and finally freed, they were paid reparations for being wrongly held.

That being said, reparations should probably be directed to Africa itself, as tribal warfare and lack of unity made the slave trade feasible. And proximate causation would probably indict the British, Spanish, and Dutch for giving guns in trade for slaves. Etc. etc.

And to answer the intial question, I'm a male gamer, but not white.

Originally posted by gamefoo21@Aug 20, 2003 @ 02:07 AM

isn't fistedjustice the violent type i seem to remember her saying that somewhere. better watch out aaron :ph34r:

your comment alone probably got her an additional 20 similar PMs. :D

I haven't posted here in months...

I actually stopped posting here after the first racial insult. I was suprised to see that this topic was still alive, but I am annoyed as well...

Here is the summary of what's wrong with all of humanity:

Why do ppl even have to bring race up? If you notice...it's the white ppl who dont rlly care about it and usually drop it and it's always the minorities that always bring up "poor picked on me, blah, blah, blah"

This is like saying:

"Why do Jews always talk about the Holocaust? I don't see the Germans whining about it -- and they lost the war."

or

"Why do women always whine about rape? They've had sex before. I don't see any men complaing."

I am not trying to insult you guys, but this, to me, is the sign of a selfish, spoiled America. Of course, the crippled kid brings up the topic of wheel chair accesibility! Abled bodies never think about it. They don't have to!

For white america, race is a non-issue because they do not have to put up with the actions of others based on race.

Calling someone a "###### wore" is not the same as a "whore". YOu shouldn't use either word. Stabbing someone twice is twice-as-wrong. Don't we have enough problems. Have respect! People have given their lives to remove that hate from the world.

Unless your mother was raped, or your grandpa was burned alive in a concentration camp, your selfish, comfortable life leads you to believe these things are not important. As long as those damn JAPs make your videogames -- and you live in the richest country in the world after centuries of free slave labor -- what's the problem? I don't blame you. But it's naive.

If you really think we are all of the same blood, the next time you see starving kids on tv "whinig" about food, while your fat ass is sitting on the sofa ... put yourself in their shoes (or lack there of)... Try to be sensitive and understand WHY the topic is brought up. Even if it doesn't seem to affect you.

They are humans JUST like you. They may have a valid issue in wanting to discuss it.

Unfortunatly you cannot get away from it no matter where you go. Someone always hates someone else for who knows what. I hate to say it but it's a fact of life and just something you have to deal with. Some people it's almost impossible to change them.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Aug 20, 2003 @ 06:49 AM

Unfortunatly you cannot get away from it no matter where you go. Someone always hates someone else for who knows what. I hate to say it but it's a fact of life and just something you have to deal with. Some people it's almost impossible to change them.

The trick is to not let those people teach other people. If you get rid of the tumor, the cancer stops spreading.

what bugs me about minorities...

(specifically blacks -- but I have nothing against any race -- I'm just calling it as I see it)

is that they claim they want to be equals with whites, but yet they still have organizations and such for only their race. Just a month ago I saw a big article in the paper about a job fair for black businesses. Still sounds like they want to be separate to me.

Racket I know exactly what you're talking about. Now I dont want to offend anyone here either but recently a group of black people in my area all changed from their "Slave Names" to their African names. Now this bothers me for one reason. How many black americans were actually born in Africa or even been there at least once in their life.

Psh slave name. It's not a slave name it's an american name! If you were a black japanese person named akira it wouldn't be a slave name then now would it?

I hope I didnt' offend anyone I'm just saying...things.

EDIT: I'm sorry I didn't want to drag this thing even further off the topic of diversity in the gaming community I just wanted to express my views.

How can you guys be so socially insensitive?!?

Would you say Blind people want to be equal? Then why do THEY get to bring there dogs with them everywhere they go?

Blacks have special efforts to achieve equal balance. A program for black business is an effort to overcome hundreds of years of set-backs. Some White families have amassed large fortunes due to America's history. I think special programs for women, minorities, etc. are good ideals for making america balance out.

Video Game Expos are seperatist functions. Does it mean game Nerds want to be seperate from the rest of society? NO! We are sharing a common interest or shared experience. After that, we rejoin everyone in regular life. Can't ethnic groups have the same occasions to share experiences?

You do not complain when an Irish man wears a shirt that says "Kiss me, I 'm Irish". He is taking pride in his heritage. If a black person wants to reconnect with a cultural history, how does that affect you? Let everyone do whatever they feel without judging them! YOu are not one of them, so maybe you don't understand it.

A slave name means that we were given the names of our owners. Koreans have reclaimed there cultural language and names. They no longer use the Japanese names given to them by their captors. Perhaps you should go to Korea and tell them they are stupid....?

You guys are so judgemental. But not fairly so. You would complain about Puerto-Rican parades, but you have no problem with German Oktoberfest?

Can't you just possibly accept that, even as a non-white person, some of my points are valid? I really think you are not looking at all sides of the issues. Racketboy, I have great respect for you from talking to you in the past, but it really sounds like you came to a decision (perhaps something you heard from others) without asking someone involved "why?" Understanding requires open-minded communication.

Originally posted by jeff-20@Aug 21, 2003 @ 12:46 AM

Would you say Blind people want to be equal? Then why do THEY get to bring there dogs with them everywhere they go?

Blacks have special efforts to achieve equal balance. A program for black business is an effort to overcome hundreds of years of set-backs. Some White families have amassed large fortunes due to America's history. I think special programs for women, minorities, etc. are good ideals for making america balance out.

Video Game Expos are seperatist functions. Does it mean game Nerds want to be seperate from the rest of society? NO! We are sharing a common interest or shared experience. After that, we rejoin everyone in regular life. Can't ethnic groups have the same occasions to share experiences?

You do not complain when an Irish man wears a shirt that says "Kiss me, I 'm Irish". He is taking pride in his heritage. If a black person wants to reconnect with a cultural history, how does that affect you? Let everyone do whatever they feel without judging them! YOu are not one of them, so maybe you don't understand it.

A slave name means that we were given the names of our owners. Koreans have reclaimed there cultural language and names. They no longer use the Japanese names given to them by their captors. Perhaps you should go to Korea and tell them they are stupid....?

You guys are so judgemental. But not fairly so. You would complain about Puerto-Rican parades, but you have no problem with German Oktoberfest?

Can't you just possibly accept that, even as a non-white person, some of my points are valid? I really think you are not looking at all sides of the issues. Racketboy, I have great respect for you from talking to you in the past, but it really sounds like you came to a decision (perhaps something you heard from others) without asking someone involved "why?" Understanding requires open-minded communication.

I think I'm going to start a television channel, and call it "White Entertainment Network." Yeah! :) Great idea! "WET" sounds really catchy.

and maybe even the "United White people college fund" for the poor kids. .. Hey, I can get many ideas here! :p

Really Jeff, lighten up. Are you not aware of the backlash that race centered organizations like this cause? It will always cause the other races to feel abandoned and unwelcome. That doesn't help much with unity.

I am not trying to insult you guys, but this, to me, is the sign of a selfish, spoiled America. Of course, the crippled kid brings up the topic of wheel chair accesibility! Abled bodies never think about it. They don't have to!

For white america, race is a non-issue because they do not have to put up with the actions of others based on race.

You seem to display the same behavior that you claim to disgust.

What is "white america" jeff?

Well, 'white america' has to suffer the stereotypes that we are some ignorant spoiled fat kid that hates non-americans.

Because we obviously ahre different views than you it's not being socially insensitive it's just having a different perspective on things.

That's totally different. Is being black, mexican, asian or what have you a physically debilitating handicap? No therefore you really shouldn't have special needs for physical accessibility.

I see where you may be coming from on this but it seems more to me like African Americans (to be politically correct) are trying to bank on what their ancestors had to go through. It's not like when a grandparent of mine dies I want to get paid for them getting kicked in the nuts when they were 6. These special efforts you speak of, to me, only seem to re-enforce the idea that thsese groups are in fact different from everyone else. It's like seeing a store that's called "Bobs Toys" and then underneith it, the sign saying "Owned by a black man." It's the same Idea.

Hm what ethnic events are you refering to in particular? What I picture is a black pride rally or something in which case you would get the distinct feeling you weren't wanted if you weren't black which is not the case at a game expo.

Right here I would like to point out that I respect your opinions in every way, I just disagree with them.

This is true and I agree I have nothing against people trying to reconnect with their heritige it just seems that sometimes it goes a bit to far. Heh and when was the last time you saw an Irish person wearing a Kiss me I'm Irish shirt who wasn't wearing it in a jokular fashon... or in the bag.

Maybe I should.

No but seriously... wait holey crap you're black? Hm news to me. Well I hope i'm not offending you with my opnions here then. Anyway, I think that it shouldn't be considered a slave name because are you a slave (I dont mean you I mean just in general people who want to change from their slave name)? It's not a slave name it's the name that your momma' gave you. The least you could do is honor her and keep the name she saw fit to give you when you popped out of her after hours of painful labor.

The German what?

In conclusion, I dont want to sound like I dont respect your opinions and views on these things, but I do believe that sometimes to get recognition ethnic groups will go too far and thus pushing them selves backwards and seeming less like they are different due to their backgrounds.

you're all stupid, except for jeff-20. he's the only one making any sort of sense.

let the pity party begin.

(ps. fisted justice - i was totally kidding. i would actually take you out on a nice date, with candles and food and everything, then i would drive you home, open your door like a gentleman, walk you to your steps, and not even expect a kiss on the cheek. then in a few days i would try and call you and maybe we could follow up on that first date with something else, like mini-golf, or a trip to the movies [my treat, of course, since i'm the one trying to do the impressing here]. then after all of this i would probably ask you if you would be interested in seeing me on a semi-regular basis. then, much to my dismay, you would punch me in the face and spit on the wounds, leaving me all alone with my gaping heart dying for your sweet caresse once more.)

actually, i take that back, iceman2k and mtxblau said some good stuff too. so, only a select group of you are stupid within the confines of this thread and this thread alone.

Originally posted by aaron@Aug 21, 2003 @ 01:10 AM

(ps. fisted justice - i was totally kidding. i would actually take you out on a nice date, with candles and food and everything, then i would drive you home, open your door like a gentleman, walk you to your steps, and not even expect a kiss on the cheek. then in a few days i would try and call you and maybe we could follow up on that first date with something else, like mini-golf, or a trip to the movies [my treat, of course, since i'm the one trying to do the impressing here]. then after all of this i would probably ask you if you would be interested in seeing me on a semi-regular basis. then, much to my dismay, you would punch me in the face and spit on the wounds, leaving me all alone with my gaping heart dying for your sweet caresse once more.)

...Dude you're totallly trying to impress someone you dont even know through a sega themed message board.

And you say that we're stupid :rolleyes:

But all kidding aside, how can you be so childish? Just because we share different opinions/views you call us stupid? Did I say that Jeff did not make valid points? Did I say that I thought he was a complete idiot for saying what he said? No, we're all just expressing our different views and if any of them really hit you on a personal chord then I'm sorry but nothing said here was meant to offend or hurt anyone it's just a free forum of open discussion.

And I know you said within the confines of this thread but still it seems irrational to call what we say stupid just because you disagree with them.

yes! the pity party!!

how can you be so childish? Just because we share different opinions/views you call us stupid? Did I say that Jeff did not make valid points? Did I say that I thought he was a complete idiot for saying what he said? No, we're all just expressing our different views and if any of them really hit you on a personal chord then I'm sorry but nothing said here was meant to offend or hurt anyone it's just a free forum of open discussion.

anyway, your "views" and "opinions" read more like you playing devil's advocate and just arguing for the sake of arguing. but oh well. this is just a message board, lighten up.

(ps. as for my trying to "impress" ms fisted justice, i completely stand by my promises. a date, or possibly multiple dates, will be furnished upon request)

Originally posted by aaron@Aug 21, 2003 @ 01:53 AM

anyway, your "views" and "opinions" read more like you playing devil's advocate

Nah I just dont agree with Jeff. Maybe it's cause I'm white I dunno but I dont like to take the negative route when possible. Just seems unavoidable in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back