Donations? Patreon? Why is the VCR blinking?

Donations? Patreon? Why is the VCR blinking?

• Accept Cryptocurrency Donations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't bother

• Something else entirely

• Total voters

dibz

Boss
Staff member
So IceDigger used to take donations for the site, and occasionally still pitches in because he's an awesome guy like that. The bills are very low for SX and I don't really need any money to keep things going, I don't mind footing the bills typically speaking.

Occasionally in the past sometimes when renewals come up I've tended to reconsider whether I should keep the site going and post a thread to see what lurkers think about it; it's always positive because everyone here is pretty great! Let's be clear this is not one of those times, SX will be around for a long time still.

That said, recently I took down IceDigger's donations thread when doing some clean up and it made me think about possibly replacing it with something, or maybe not? I'm not familiar with that sort of thing these days so I thought I'd just ask you guys for your thoughts on the matter. When asking around about the best way to approach things, such as if I should accept crypto or whathaveyou, I was recommended that instead of old-school donations I should think about just setting up a Patreon.

Reactions: vbt
It would help to know what the bills actually are, but i would be willing to become a permanent patron.

It tends to vary based on my situation. I host SX on a VPS that I have anyway at the moment, so I don't actually count that as an SX bill -- though if my situation changes, so would that obviously.

Right now "bills" would be renewing the forum software and it's gallery addon, which is only $70/yr since I already own the licenses (thanks to IceDigger actually). I would like to purchase an updated paid theme for the forum, along with the resource manager addon to XenForo; I feel like that addon could handily replace many of the missing content pages and their downloads, as well as be rather convenient if anyone wanted to host/update their patches/downloads that way in general. I would estimate a theme ($15~$40 typically, also with renewals)+the addon ($65, $15 renewals) I'm considering are going to be around $100 combined. There are other paid addons the site uses but nothing that currently needs renewal, but we'd be talking that sort of thing generally speaking. Unfortunately addons become outdated/abandoned, so there are times when features get dropped from the site simply because I don't pony up for a replacement, which is actually why I removed the portal/news landing page some time ago -- it became incompatible, so rather then buying a newer version removing it reduced the cost and simplified maintaining the site.

So not really a lot of money currently and I don't want anyone thinking the site is in danger in any way of course.

How about using the Saturn homebrew competition to finance the website?
Donations or whatever, you just deduct all the costs from whatever prices were planned to the "winners".
It should be pretty easy to reach the goals

Well the prize money is coming out of my pocket. I think it would be too confusing to convolve the two (is the money going toward the competition prizes or SX? Is Emerald Nova pocketting the money? etc.) If SX had a public facing patreon or donate button, I could plug it in my stream.

Count with my sword.

Im reading this forum since years, one of my fears as been always lost SX (even if the site is not in danger right now).

Paypal looks a good option for me.

Well I went ahead and added both patreon and paypal buttons to the forum listing (homepage). We'll see how it goes.

Here's the direct links for anyone following this thread so far: Paypal, and Patreon.

Your default message went away. You may wish to make a post or landing text or something describing what the money is for.

Back