Down with GameStop

Alright. Time for everyone to boycott GameStop.

I don't know how long this has been in effect, since I usually only shop for retro sega games, and they haven't had a genesis to "try before you buy" in a GameStop for 6 years. But they used to still have the newer systems.

Well, we were there, and my wife wanted to try out Need For Speed (no qualifiers, the original) for PS1. She says her brother used to have one of the Need For Speed games, and it was the only one she liked, and it had some specific song she liked. But she doesn't know which version it was, and has been wanting to figure it out.

Anyway, to my complete shock, they no longer have systems for you to try out games. Not a PS2, not an XBox, nothing. It's 100% buy at your own risk now. That's a crock. I told the guy working there they should complain to corporate, and he said the order to remove the try-out systems came from corporate.

FuncoLand is already dead. It died when GameStop took over. Gamestop was never as good as Funco. I guess I've just been trying to relive the glory days of neo-retro gaming by pretending the GameStops were still Funcos. But it's no use. It's time to realize Funco is gone forever, and GameStop is a lame mega-corp wanna-be, and doesn't deserve our patronage.

The local EB Games still has try-out systems and some retro games. Though after reading that article about them, I'm not so sure to trust them anymore. Also, same problem. EB Games took over Planet Games, and was never the same.

We should only support the local, non-chain-sell-out shops. For instance, in Minnesota, there's Hi-Score (formerly Raven Games) in Stillwater, DiscLand in Bloomington, and (can't remember the name! Like Toy something) in Maplewood (it's at the corner of Whitebear Ave and the road south of the mall). In Champaign-Urbana, IL, there was both Big Kids and Game Crazy north of the interstate.

Heck, even Holleywood Video's Game Crazy ain't that bad.

what was this article about eb?

GAMESTOP SUCKS....

EB SUCKS.........

I give up on dreamcast after reading this article.... yeah, sure... games can be found on ebay of course, with 8.00 shipping... <_< I really dont know why Gamestop/EB would still have a shelf of Genesis games instead of dc games. Genesis games dont sell as well as the dc ones.

the biggest bugger of them all is how they have a whole shelf of n64 games that are displayed in jewel cases, so there are like, 9 games on the shelf. Not enough shelf space MY ASS... it pisses me off that dc games cant be in there..... so here we are, Driven by jackass corps that dont give a damn for their consumers...

The future will be alot worse with Retro gaming... once we are in the life of next gen conloles... where will all of the ps2 and gc games go???

remember kids, gamestop got rid of the dc stuff to "make space" it will be interesting to see gamecube games, ps2 games, and xbox games all fitting on a shelf or a little plastic rack. These games are stored in dvd cases, dont forget ;) ... this will make it more interesting seeing that there will be at least 6 consoles by about 2 or 3 years... a system that only had 2 years in its life may go down by having there games on a shelf longer than a Ps2's...or a gamecube's... or an xbox's

Retro games will be lost........................

There's one fucking awesome thing about Gamestop though.

Their used games policy completely owns.

No questions asked returns within 7 days.

Originally posted by muffinman943@Apr 3, 2004 @ 03:56 AM

the biggest bugger of them all is how they have a whole shelf of n64 games that are displayed in jewel cases, so there are like, 9 games on the shelf. Not enough shelf space MY ASS...

I was actually wondering this myself when I was in my local ex-Funcoland last week. But you guys are probably going overboard. It happens - don't dwell on it too long, and move on. There are always ways of getting your retro fix.

ebay sometimes is cheaper even though I work for gamestop, I find some better deals on ebay, sometimes.... but not tooo often. As for the "testing" stations, it has to do with them being to "picky" for their trade-in games, now they take everything in, unless its scratched, and even that they take in cause they have the disk resurfaced for a 3 dollar penalty to the seller..... imo, its messed up.. they need to go back to doing shit the way they used to, and its all since they merged with gamestop... when it was funco, things were different.. oh well...

I can't find the original hall of shame article, but there's a bunch of threads out there discussing it.

Basically someone stole this woman's game collection, and sold it to EB Games. And then EB Games didn't follow the state policy to hold used merchandise for 15 days, and sold some of it before the woman found it. And forced the woman to pay twice the original price on the remaining games in order to get them back. Even though they were her own stolen property. Her letter to corporate about the issue basically responded with "screw you. You're one of those "customer" people aren't you? we don't care about you guys". Oh wait, that's what all corporations think...

EB Games Hall Of Shame

Ba-da-ba-ba-baaaaa I'm hatin' it.

I wouldn't mind buying used or new games in the smaller non-chain stores (which in Canada basically means not EB or Toys'r'us). But their prices for new games are ALWAYS several bucks more and their used games are frequently 50-150% MORE expensive. Then again I already have all the common DC games out there so Ebay is sadly my only choice.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Apr 2, 2004 @ 11:06 PM

This is true, I bought alter echo for xbox and then returned it a day later...I hated the game. But funcoland was fantastic....i still have the old price sheets, i'd memorize all the most expensive titles and go to yard sales, pick em up for cheap and resell to funcoland for much more store credit....good times...

i'd memorize all the most expensive titles and go to yard sales, pick em up for cheap and resell to funcoland for much more store credit....good times...

A friend of mine did something similar. He used the credit to buy a Dreamcast, when they were going for $150 used. All in all, he really only spent about $43.

Heh... One of the games was my second copy of Final Fantasy 1 on NES. I traded it to him for a cover-less PS1 X-Men vs. Street Fighter game (Funco wouldn't take PS1 games unless they had the covers and instructions).

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Apr 2, 2004 @ 11:06 PM

this is very true, but i wonder if they still do this with the older systems since they stopped taking trade-ins of all retro systems plus dreamcast?

My Gamestop got rid of the test the game out consoles as soon as they bought out funco (which mine used to be). that was better though, try it at the store so you know before you leave. and i wonder if they know that they could easily get ripped off the way they have it by the piraters :huh well i hope they don't wise up although i liked the systems instores better, this is the next best thing.

When I worked for Gamestop, we prided ourselves on not being Target. If you bought something and it sucked, please bring it back. If you want to try something before buying it, go right ahead. Hell, when I worked there, we got to bring games home to try them out. Now, all of that is gone. I could forgive them getting rid of the classic games; but come on, we eliminate what distinguised you as a substitue to Target.

same, when I worked there. We wouldnt ask whats wrong with the thing. except for that one case where we wouldnt accept this controller, and I ended up gettin fired <_<

I was almost fired. The regional manager didn't get along with the district manager and a bunch of us store managers. He was gonna fire me because my store got broken into. I said F it and quit.

Originally posted by SEGAFan 3000DC@Apr 5, 2004 @ 02:15 AM

this is very true, but i wonder if they still do this with the older systems since they stopped taking trade-ins of all retro systems plus dreamcast?

I got Star Ocean 2 for my friend used, and we returned it three days later no questions asked (though we did offer an explanation of why we returned it - the second disc was 100% fucked).

And my local GS still sells used NES games.

Next time I'm there I'll ask if the policy extends all the way to those.

Back