dreamcast read cd-roms?

hello everybody!

i plan to buy a dc, and im wondering if still support cdroms, cause i remember something about sega taking out it from the later dc models.

i wanna play my mp3s!!! ;)

thanks a lot!

It may have been said, but I don't think it was done for all newer models. The only model I know that won't read CD-R/CD-ROM is the Sakura Wars Dreamast unit (import) and perhaps some others as well.

Anyway, I think that $50 plus tax is worth finding out.

The sakura model as well as the Hello kitty ones in japan do not work with CDR's. The ones manufactured on or after Nov 2000 do not work as well.

I'm sure this was a previous topic before.

The sakura model as well as the Hello kitty ones in japan do not work with CDR's.
Heh, it doesn't surprise me that the special units don't work with CD-R's. It makes sense, actually.

The ones manufactured on or after Nov 2000 do not work as well.
* checks recently bought new DC and finds manufacture date to be Sept. 2000; wipes head for signs of relief; then wonders to self how many units are acutally made on or after Nov. 2000 *

BTW, I'm sure that there was a previous thread about this too, but I bet it has been long deleted as well.

to the best of my knowledge every DC sold in the US is MIL-CD compatible (plays cd-rs).. I've never heard of one that doesnt..

I doubt there ever would have been one because it would have broken compatibility with a handful of commercially available DC titles (which the naturally submissive japanese wouldnt mind, but hot headed americans wouldn't have stood for)

Do those DCs still play original Audio CDs ?

i think the protection consisted of defaulting to the audio cd player when any cdrom format disc was put in the drive, so yes they should

Yes they do still play music cds. I recently bought a system that was manufactured December 2000. No utopia, no gameshark, no bleem will work on it. Put any of those disks in and it will either take you to the cd player screen or sit there and prompt for "insert game cd" over and over. I did a bit of research and the consensus is that any DC made after october 2000 is mil-cd challenged.

pheadbaq: have you tried making the first session a data session rather than an audio session? I'm told that this works with the "fixed" DCs...

Hmm.. I keep hearing that "December 2000" units won't play CDRs.. however, both of mine dated Dec do without issue.. emulators, or whatever have worked fine.

Maybe since the mil-cd format isn't an officially supported format anyway, maybe some factories that produce DC's inadvertently make consoles that can't boot cd-rs. This functionality isn't required to play (original!) DC games so maybe it's optional. My friends had 3 DC's, 2 that would boot a cd-r, 1 that wouldn't.

Back