Erosion of gamers – Why SX is starting to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With due respect for the hard work of all the people who contribute to SX, I think there is a serious decline in the quality of this website. One of the biggest “attraction” to SX is sadly the FTP section. When people are not in the FTP section, they are in another part of the board asking how to burn CD-R games or how to get their cheap 10$ Saturn and mod to play pirates. Fellow member (and moderator) Mysticals has stated the position of SX management various times, identifying SX to be an AbandonWarez site for Sega related products. This stance by management is also very puzzling and inconsistent, as some content which could be categorized as AbandonWare and Sega related are banned from the site, while others like the Neo-Geo (Which aren’t even Sega related) are not. And this does not include selling, asking, requesting, or even posting links to other such abandonware content on the web (Which would result in a Ban).

This view and direction in which SX is headed does not sit well with a lot of members (With the exception of the few who come solely on the intent and ease to pirate free games). Management’s attempt at trying to distinguish the different types of pirating on SX, and which kind of pirating should be allowed, was a very poor judgment in many members’ eyes. The addition of secretly de-moderating people (Such as SkankinMonkey) for their views, which don’t run parallel to managements, is also another troubling concern which I’m sure some members feel is an issue which should be addressed.

And yes, despite trying to keep such de-moderating a quite secret, members DO notice it. Just in the same way the DVD industry thought it could protect DVD by keeping its weak encryption algorithm a secret… It just doesn’t work.

it was not a "secret" deopping, he had been warned before. he wasn't demodded for his views, but his general behavior in the weeks before it happened. it was in no way kept secret here.

unless of course you expect the staff to explain every damn thing they do in detail to the members.

as for removing all iso downloading and burning information, it would mean certain death for the page. there are only so many things you can discuss about the games, just look at how quiet the game help and several other forums are.

fact is, many people who actively talk on here and don't only discuss iso stuff came here because it was the one chance to actually get games for the saturn or scd anymore. ALOT of games you won't find on ebay anymore, or not at all in i.e. europe.

as for content being banned.. like what? what sega related stuff is banned?

Iceman himself also agrees that SX is Sega Abandonware. SX was ALWAYS something like this... I mean SX itself used to host items as well. And yea the biggest reaon we are here IS the fact to play old game again and talk about them. I see nothing wrong with that, anyone who DOES have a issue, tell me WHY did you come here in first place? (If you say "Just to chat" we know your lying)

Arakon --> Dreamcast ISO's are banned. If I am correct to my understanding on why they are banned, technically Saturn games should be banned as well. ROM images (Sega or otherwise) are also banned, especially when most carts pre-date any CD system, and arguably have even more value among game enthusiasts. I could continue, but I’m sure people understand what I’m striving at. About de-moderation, it could be argued that it wasn’t a secret, but in the same respect, one could argue that management did nothing to explain its actions, or to prove that it was justified. Instead it decided to just say nothing. The same could be said about telling half truths. While it isn’t a lie, it isn’t fully truthful ether. It also seems interesting to note that most of the driving forces behind SX have left or have very little presence on SX anymore possible due to such changes (Such as Rev, Mowgli, ect.)

Mysticals --> To the best of my knowlege, I have yet to post anything in the FTP forum. In fact, I am one who wishes such pirating aspects be closed down. In fact, I welcome that to happen, since by your logic I should be gone since there is nothing to pirate.

I'll admit it. I came for the games, stayed for the people. That IS how I found this place. It's even the final reason I bought a SCD. Aside from really wanting one since they came out, I now had a good place to get some of the best games for it. I even helped contribute some back in the day. Since then I've been helped numerous times with any number of non-ISO related issues by what I find to be very friendly and knowledgable people. I even decided to buy a Saturn because I wanted to see what everyone was so excited about. If it means anything to anyone, I don't think SX sucks. I think it's evolved from what it used to be, but that's not a bad thing.

As for the demoddings, doesn't bother me. It's their board, they make the rules. Even if they were banned for conflicting views that's a perfectly legit reason. This isn't a government, it's a privately owned/operated message board. No one is forced to come here, let alone forced to read all the postings.

But maybe I'm stating the obvious again, so I'll leave restating that I enjoy SX and all the hard work that goes into keeping it running. Thanks guys.

If this is place is Abandonware, I suppose one shouldn't object to being labled as such? If thats true, mangment shouldn't mind at all if SX was put on "Link" pages saying "The best place for abandonware Sega games and Isos!". I think after people start raping the server for Abandonwares, and DoS'ing LitespeedComputers, Ice would have a diffrent view about the matter of being Abandonware as well.

So is SX Abandonware or is it? Because in all fairness, managment shouldn't mind if people start advertising as such. In addition, Abandonware is not legal. It is classified as pirating, so it would also be a correct statment to say "The best place for getting pirate Sega games and Isos!" as well.

Edit: An intresting note to add is most people classify software which has been abandoned when it is old and has no chance of any new sequals or re-releases. Many SS games such as Radian Silver Gun, are nether old, nor not receiving any attention. In fact Silver Gun has a sequal already in arcades.

Arakon --> Dreamcast ISO's are banned. If I am correct to my understanding on why they are banned, technically Saturn games should be banned as well. ROM images (Sega or otherwise) are also banned, especially when most carts pre-date any CD system, and arguably have even more value among game enthusiasts.

you are wrong there. it's perfectly fine to have rom images on the ftps. just don't request them in the other forums.. just like iso images.

DC is still available in large quantities, and is not a "dead" system yet, considering how many games are still available for low prices brand new at shops.

Saturn however is nearly completely unavailable in europe anymore, and in USA you only find the very common stuff anymore, very rarely any of the less known and rare games.

It also seems interesting to note that most of the driving forces behind SX have left or have very little presence on SX anymore possible due to such changes (Such as Rev, Mowgli, ect.)

and you are knowing that HOW?

Mowgli was in fact one of the people who helped out the most with the managing of the former SX iso hosting.

he mostly disappeared simply because he had other things going on in his life.

trent,

A reason was given as to why Skank's Mod status was taken away, or at least a statement was made about it by Ice.

As far as I know the main draw to this site has always been the allure of downloading free Saturn and SCD games -- even before the FTP forum.

Also, I have seen several sites with links to this one with captions like that. What difference does that make?

I've never heard that definition of abandonware before. I've always attributed abandonware to software thats at least 5 years old and is no longer sold or supported.

About the Dreamcast and Saturn, I tend to disagree. In all honesty, you can find ether type of software in abundance (Ebay is a good example). Many games are under $20, which goes for both legal originals, as well as legal imports. In addition, even if people made the argument Dreamcast software is still being sold in Japan and asia (Thus shouldn’t be pirated), one could argue in the same respect to older SS and PSX disks, which are also sold in a large number of shops.

I think pretty much in any direction you go, there really isn’t an excuse to pirating such products. They are nether old, nor abandoned, nor not being sold/distributed anymore. Since SX doesn’t even fall into the category of Abandonware (since many SS games were released recently, and not abandoned like 15 years ago) SX is generally just a Warez site, which Abandonware is also a part of (a sub-classification).

again, you are ONLY thinking of USA and/or china. in case you didn't notice yet, USA != world.

it's ALOT harder to find anything saturn related in europe or australia.

I arrived first for the saturn games, but then i got caught up a crazy rush of girlfriends, painting saturns, explinations of how to destroy a computer without your roomate knowing, and disscussions on who knows what and laughing everytime a newbie asks for an iso.

These days I spend more time on SX than I actually do with my saturn.

SX is quality

Arakon has a point. Where I live (not usa/europe/asia), the saturn isn't more than an urban myth; but still I am able to find original dreamcast games.

And europe isn't that hard to find saturn games, my sister bought me two new saturn games in a mall in germany (no need to go downtown or know what a saturn is
wink.gif
)

I too also can not find saturn or sega cd stuff in local stores. but i never had any intrest in the saturn because sega screwed me over with giving up on all their systems. True i came here for the free food but I'm still around because the conversation is ok.

Hell, I'll admit it. I came here for the games. BUT as I stayed I figured this place was pretty sweet and really don't download much anymore. I think there should be like a 2 month limit on how long you have been a member and you should have atleast 50 posts to be able to see the FTP section. Would make it hard for ppl to just sign up and get in.

I think SX is a really good place for talking to Sega nuts.

Yes SX has FTP's, yes is has abandonware, but that is a small part of the site.

The FTP's plus side is that they do inject some new blood, and alot of those people stay and turn out to be pretty cool.

All I can suggest to you is if you don't like the FTP's just don't use them. simple, oui?
smile.gif

SX does not suck, If anything I think SX has improved for the better.

It only gets unpleasant when someone starts complaining constantly about the rules, the moderators etc.

And I'm not talking a simple comment, but a whole freakin list as to why they hate the place.
devil.gif

Originally posted by Arakon@June 12 2002,18:09

again, you are ONLY thinking of USA and/or china. in case you didn't notice yet, USA != world.

it's ALOT harder to find anything saturn related in europe or australia.

Yeah, theres about 1 shop with Saturn stuff in a 50 mile radius here now (Managed to snag the last used saturn that they'll ever accept
smile.gif
) and even they have the poor games

DC on the other hand is still here in abundance and I find it brilliant to hunt down games for £1 that are better than most PS2/XBox/GC games
smile.gif

Gear:

Where I live (not usa/europe/asia), the saturn isn't more than an urban myth; but still I am able to find original dreamcast games.

Maybe are you exaggerating the situation ?? ( Vamos, que tampoco será pa tanto
wink.gif
)

I sense that one of the main points here is that a certain someone is bothered about non-authorized game copies.

If you live in a place and a society where it takes nothing to shell out US$ 20.00, the price of a large pizza, to get a game for a dead system, than fine for you. If your income allows you such stravagancies like paying $150 for an used game, like Radiant Silvergun, then fine for you.

If you feel disturbed by the fact people are paying $2 (a CDR) for that same game you paid $150 for, then it's YOUR problem.

I live in Brazil, and I love the sega stuff. Finding original japanese saturn games in national territory is impossible. Of course, I can enter the net, snag a credit card, and buy if from sites from other countries. BUT, personal importing taxes make the games (and anything else you order by mail) slightly more expensive.

I went into EB site, and saw Skies of Arcadia (dramcast, duh). $19.90. Cheap for any US'er, right? But how much would it cost for ME?

Game - $ 19.90

Shipping - $ 35.00

Tax - 74% over Game+Shipping = $ 40.63

Total - $ 95.53

A bargain, huh? And I'm not even getting into currency fluctuation, that made import stuff 2 times more expensive than they were 2 years ago.

So I have only 3 options:

a) quit playing games

b) spend all of my money (and others' money too) in the games I want, even knowing NONE of that money goes to the people who made that game

c) Ignore the legal details behind the issue and make copies of the games for myself.

And I'll tell you all loud and clear: I don't have a Dreamcast, because I'm always too broke to buy one, or a computer part explodes whenever I get enough money for one. But, when I get one, prolly ALL of my games WILL be copied, by the simple fact that the price the carry on around here go beyond one's logical limits.

OK i don't understand this whole argument i mean jesus i've been here for awhile and i participate in posts and stuff like that and not once have i been bothered by the fact that there's an ftp section that has people giving away free games and recieving free games. I don't go in the ftp section and i spend most my time in the general section. not once have i been bothered by ISO requests or any of this other shit. i mean who the hell cares i know tones of people are dying in other countries sure it's bad but jesus christ i can't do anything about it and so i just let it go on since i can't do anything about it and i don't want to since i can't and i don't let it bother me. I mean fuck this shit let other things bother you like money problems or being a chronically depressed person that gets his knees bashed by a happy psyco clown named life. i mean what the fuck if you care so much about ISO requests and stuff like that then jesus christ step on a rusty nail or something.

(sorry for all the cursing i'm just really fucking angry at something else right now mainly myself. there you go complain about your self even)

editorial- I think the above statement was ill writin. look at the improper sentence structure i mean it's terrible. also the use of profanities seems a little over done i mean sure it does add enfusses to the paragraph but truely you'd think the author would have used a variation of words to not lessen the effect of the words used. another comment on this post is that it to might be considered an erosion of sx since it is sort of filled with anger that seems to be miss directed and also it and none of the other posts that procced it help contribute to the sx community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back