• Rise from your gwave!

General question about CDR's

Discussion in 'General Tech Help & CD Burning Help' started by Weezer, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Weezer

Weezer New Member

Okay, I've been wondering this for sometime now, and I feel like an idiot..

The CD's I buy say they're "700MB".

However, I'm only able to burn about 670 MB to the disc before it tells me it's full. And if I click on my CD drive, and it shows the little pie chart of how much space is taken up, it says the max is 670 and not 700.

So what is up with this? Does it have to do with my CD drive?

2. MasterAkumaMatata

MasterAkumaMatata Staff Member

What burner do you have? Does the manual say it can burn 700MB (i.e., 80 minute) CD-Rs? Also, what recording software are you using?

As for it saying the max is 670, that's because that is how much has been burned onto the CD-R. Think of it as only 670MB of space has been formatted on the CD-R.

3. Weezer

Weezer New Member

so it depends on the burner then? that's what i thought.. thanks.

4. megametalgreymon

megametalgreymon New Member

just a thought, are you using direct cd or something similar to put files onto the cd like you would do a hard disk?

if so, then the way direct cd works if i remember correctly, is to format the cdr in someway before you use it to store data on

that would account for the missing 30mb of space

5. Weezer

Weezer New Member

Yeah I am using that... I figured it would format it in some way, but then I also thought that if it did, it'd still say "700MB" when I highlighted my D Drive, instead of the formatted 670.

6. megametalgreymon

megametalgreymon New Member

no afraid not, its like floppy disks are sometimes marked as 2mb, even though once you format them they only have 1.44mb space on them