Hdmi Solution

Internal or External??

• Internal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • External

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
Ive been working hard at an hdmi solution for saturn. My test pcbs should be arriving soon. I currently my design is external but sourcing 10pin mini connector is becoming difficult. So what would the scene nce prefer??

Yeah definitely harder to find an actually diy male connector for that one. Do you need all 10 pins for signal? Technically a USB3 and DB9 cable has 9 pins plus the the connector shield as ground.

No actually 7 is needed.RGB, Sync,5v and L&R audio. Ground is also connected to the connector shield .

The 10-pin connector isn't an actual DIN standard, which is why you can't find them at any of the normal component distributors.

Edit: This might be the right type of connector, though I couldn't find the part on the manufacturer's own website.

I just randomly found this on Google when looking for Saturn link cable images :oops:

Xtreme HDMI Cable for Original SEGA Saturn

I guess your cable will be similar?

Originally planned to be then was beat to the punch. So I have been experimenting with an internal solution. But mine I had accounted for the resolution changes and was powered by the console rather a 5v USB.

Those cheap HDMI cables have a lot of issues. They use the same scaling hardware used in cheap TVs which means they are slow and laggy. Then there's the problems with resolution changes, ghosting, etc.

I justified my HD Retrovision cable because I can use it on both the Saturn and Genesis. It's pretty much flawless, although I still wish I had an HDMI cable for the Saturn instead of having to share a cable for one input. Modern TVs are lucky to have one component input, much less two..

Mine is more of a adapter than a cable. You would plug it the back of your Saturn and plug an HDMI cable to it rather than all in to one. It's already a niche market. So with the cables being readily available now. Kinda makes re think the whole project. But its great to see so much life in the community.

Yeah it's kinda nice to see people pouring their passion and skills to bring out the potential in the consoles they love :)

Those cheap HDMI cables have a lot of issues. They use the same scaling hardware used in cheap TVs which means they are slow and laggy. Then there's the problems with resolution changes, ghosting, etc.

I justified my HD Retrovision cable because I can use it on both the Saturn and Genesis. It's pretty much flawless, although I still wish I had an HDMI cable for the Saturn instead of having to share a cable for one input. Modern TVs are lucky to have one component input, much less two..
Can it be used on a genisis thats hasnt had a triple bypass installed?

Back