Horrible new games

Originally posted by Trenton net@Nov 3, 2003 @ 11:32 PM

Racial discrimination, Video game discrimination, Banning for no reason, not banning for no reason (Unusual tolerance), Pirating saturn games via FTPs, not having games at all, Comunity FTP rings, managerial changes, managerial revolutions… SX has it all! (Or doesn't have it, depending on how you read it). But after seeing all that crap I've becomed accustomed to it. :) Not supprised anymore!

Some of that reflects real life. You can't have everything perfect all of the time.

Des-ROW: I don't think any actual racial discrimination was inferred; just frustration at the Dreamcast's release situation. I'm not a big fan of hentai or dating games either, most likely because I read little Japanese and prefer action games... I'm an American, that's just the way it is with me. I am a bit more sensitive than to attack an entire culture for it's videogames. To me, the Dreamcast died nearly 2 years ago.

Besides, it's been shown that Americans, for the most part, suck at making videogames. :)

Besides, it's been shown that Americans, for the most part, suck at making videogames.

Arrg, I hate it when people say this. Many of the best games of all time were made by Americans. I've played at least as many, if not more, terrible Japanese games than American ones. I could care less where a game is produced, if it's a good game, I'll play it.

Additonally, you guys are taking DBOY and Gallstaff's comments a little too seriously; I'm fairly certain that they were saying "I hate the Japanese" the same way a lot of Americans (and Brits) will say "I hate the French" (and vice versa). It's a joke.

(For the record, I think Europe produces a hell of a lot of good games too, particularly the UK and Finland.)

I'm beginning to develop quite a disdain for Gallstaff. It mainly started with his

"OH NO! PEOPLE ARE GONNA LAUGH AT ME AT THE SCHOOL DANCE WHEN I'M WITH MY GIRLFRIEND!" "MUST LOSE WEIGHT!" thread. First of all, why the hell are you going to a school dance in the first place? :blink: :puke: :looney :huh :huh:

And while Des-ROW kinda bothers me (maybe it's the sig? I dunno, I'll probably get used to it. I mean no offense to you Des-ROW. :p ), I'm sure I'll get used to her. Gallstaff just annoys the hell out of me. Yes, I know I know I can get VERY annoying at times (mainly when it comes to Apple, and how much I DESPISE Windows), but, that's just the way I am. I got A LOT of pride in everything:

Iowa State

Sega

Apple

Being a Mac User

My hatred for $ony

My dream to rid the world of that shit known as "Windows"

Being a Retro-Gamer

My skill as a VF Player

Among many other things. Many of my friends at school say I overdo it (especially my Cyclone, and Apple Pride), but I just.... ARGH! I don't know why I get the way I do sometimes. Bah...

Originally posted by Trenton net@Nov 5, 2003 @ 07:32 AM

[snip]

Banning for no reason, not banning for no reason (Unusual tolerance) :blah

[snip]

I should ban you just for the irony of it. :D

Remember when Skank banned me around Christmas time back in 2001? Shades of that....

Of course, Arakon unbans me. Skank sets me post count to -something. I get close back to 0, then Skank knocks me back down to -62. It sucked ass.

Many of the best games of all time were made by Americans.

Yes, and most of those that people speak of were made by Americans like John Newcomer and Eugene Jarvis back in the late 70s and early 80s. Incidentally, this was before the American game industry was dominated by publishers like THQ, Acclaim, and EA who will scarcely consider releasing a game that isn't crudely bastardized to fit a popular TV show, movie, or sports franchise. It's not that the Japanese have some genetic predisposition for good game design, it's that the industry there isn't possessed by a loathing for genuine talent. I can't think of a better example of this than Seamus Blackley's condemnation of Miyamoto's work (basically, he's pissed that Miyamoto wants to work on more Mario/Zelda games instead of something "different and truly awesome"; not surprisingly he mentions GTA3 as a template, though ironically it could be argued that Zelda was the template for GTA3 to begin with). The result of this is a stream of merely okay games from people who probably have the talent for making excellent games, but aren't supported by the industry in actually doing so. That is, I don't mean to say there are no good American games, I mean to say that the industry is dominated by pie charts and focus groups rather than by who makes good games. Just ask anyone who worked at Dynamix or Looking Glass Studios. You know, before their publishers defunded them so that they'd have more pocket money to throw at useless crap.

Originally posted by it290@Nov 4, 2003 @ 02:44 AM

Arrg, I hate it when people say this. Many of the best games of all time were made by Americans. I've played at least as many, if not more, terrible Japanese games than American ones. I could care less where a game is produced, if it's a good game, I'll play it.

I'm not being an elitist or anything, but in my perception, there are still more good games coming out of Japan than America. American games are usually terribly commercial and un-innovative anymore, and are inevitably based on a license of some sort. I don't think there was ever really a period of time where you can say American games on the whole were good, aside from the Atari 2600 era. Though, even then there were bad licensed games.

And, of course, there are plenty of horrible Japanese games to compliment America's rubbish. I mean, there's Bandai, which is in all practicality the Japanese Acclaim (or maybe THQ?). Games from Europe tend to be better than America's stuff for the most part, but I haven't played any games lately that I could say "Hmm, that game was from (insert Euro country here)?"

Still, I stand by my argument, but I do concede that nationality isn't important to making good games... a drive to is. You would be foolish to believe that Acclaim or THQ or EA really give a damn about what they publish.

Back