How many bad burns have you had in a row lately?

As of 13 minutes ago, I've had 16 bad burn attempts in a row. No matter which burning prog, which speed, which CD type, or amount of data, the CD always cramps up somewhere between 40 and 98% completion. I've already installed the AP-whatchamacallit fix, and it did absolutely nothing. WTF.

My dinosaur PC spits out the odd coaster, but never more that one at a time. If I get one, I reduce the speed and reburn.

The worst part is that I used to be able to reliably burn at 4x, but now can only burn at 2x. Bloody Annoying!

MMX3 (#16) and MMX4 (#17) were both attempted at 2X with EasyCD 95. Burning Rangers attempt 2 (#10) failed at 1X with CDRwin.

Something with Nero. I forget what game it was, but it was in NRG format. Every prog I use has done at least ONE game right, so I don't know what the #### is up.

Ricoh MP9060A CDRW/DVD drive capable of recording at up to 6X. Reliable until now.

Windows ME, patched to current.

378MB PC100 DIMM ram

Intel Pentium 3 1Ghz

========================================

I haven't done a regular file burn in a while, because I have nothing worth putting on a test CDR right now, aside from Sega CD and Saturn images, which leads us back to square one. I suppose I can waste one INTENTIONALLY....

EDIT: Successfully burned 500MB worth of files at 6X, even though the TEST failed.

(Edited by Raijin Z at 7:55 am on Mar. 14, 2002)

Sounds like there's some mechanical failure, like too much dirt that's preventing the laser from moving all the way to the edge of the disc. The only botched burns I have done were all due to me messing up (so now I have a Sexy Parodius that plays a "this is a game CD"-warning when the Konami logo walks across the screen). I use Nero to burn iso/cue images on a Plextor drive, using 12* speed and BASF CDRs.

get rid of winME, it's shit.

also make sure the MP3s are good and not VBR.

defrag your HD too, strongly fragmented HDs can be too slow to get the data to the burner in time.

how are your drives hooked up? the cd burner shouldn't be on the same IDE string as the HD you are trying to burn off (and not on the same string as a CDROM drive).

if you got 1 HD and 2 drives, HD as primary master, cdrom as primary slave, and burner as secondary master is the best way.

I gotta agree. WinMe does suck! And skip WinXP as well. Win2k Pro is the way to go. I picked up a copy of the enterprise edition along w/office 2k pro the other day and am running compatibility tests with my hardware to see if it will fly. It's built on the NT kerrnal and is much more stable.You won't regret it.

Anyone care to float me $300 for the new OS and etceteras I'll be needing? Thought not. There's the issue of the test failing, but the actual burn succeeding without a hitch that's bothering me right now.

The error I get is 244-00-64-c0. According to EasyCD 95, it's "unknown error" concerning the writer. Should I just throw my $450 CDRW/DVD drive out the window, shoot it sixteen times, set it on fire, beat it with a baseball bat, run it over twice with my car, then chain it to the back of a semi truck headed for Alaska, and get a new drive, or what?

(Edited by Raijin Z at 4:22 am on Mar. 15, 2002)

Baseball bat it is. It fucked up on Megaman X4 as it was closing the disc, and we all know you can't NOT close a disc with data and audio tracks.

18 failures.

(Edited by Raijin Z at 5:02 am on Mar. 15, 2002)

Apparently it is indeed my drive. After a year of not being used, then burning 20 CDRs in a week, it decided to die. I'll never buy anything made by Ricoh again, that's for #### sure. The Sony CDR drive on another system on the network is buring ISOs just fine, and it only has 500MB of free space left on it.

Back