How old is SX ?

We'll need something here worth visiting before we think about advertising. I too want to expand the content on the site.

What is there we can do?

GameFaqs has reviews and faqs

GameWinners has codes

Assorted nefarious sites have romz

I believe our main unique draw is in console hardware (modifications, processor emulation, etc) and high scores.

Though personally my main draw was the bickering between regular members. It's kind of like watching idol just to Paula and Simon battle it out.

The main thing I look for these days is:

1. Which games to look into

2. Reviews on those games

Because I'm collecting games for all the old systems, and

A. Want to make sure I don't miss any good, but lesser-known titles.

B. Don't want to spend money on a game I won't like.

Gamefaqs reviews often help, at least if telling if a game is close to something I might like. But often the reviews aren't trustworthy, and often are non-existant for rare games.

I find myself using youtube to find video of gameplay. Watching video of the first level often tells better than a review.

But what games to look for? There's tens of thousands of games, can't watch videos for them all.

I found that Racketboys "hidden gems" and "best of" posts helped point out some titles I'd otherwise missed.

I'm kind of rambling here, but maybe something that helps people find games they might like. Something more intelligent than searching for reviews. Something way more intelligent than the amazon.com recommendations. Something more elegant than youtube.

It's funny that Sega is still an active company but SX went to the wayside. To me, this was always a Sega Saturn and Dreamcast site and once Sega pulled the plug on the DC, the energy that this site had dissipated.

Anyway, I read up on Seganerds.com on a daily basis. They're fairly on top of all things Sega and tend to get sneak previews of games and what not (e.g., they had a few exclusive interviews with HVS on the Conduit).

As JMT pointed out, a lot of sites already do things that people have suggested and do it well. I'm of the firmest belief that SX is an absolute treasure for highly specific retro gaming. Getting the info on the web is getting harder and harder to find. If SX decided to go toward making a wiki of all the relevant data, I would put certainly put in as much as possible to unearthing all that great stuff. I mean, we're literally sitting on a decade of highly unsorted info.

Just my 2p. And it's good to see you all again. Including you, Cloud. ;-)

I agree with MTXBlau.

If you want to go into content, it should probably revolve around the niche SX (used to?) be famous for -- retro sega, when it was a hardware company, and the tech behind it.

Beyond that, and I've mentioned this before, there are quite a few sites that follow current Sega. Personally I think following post-DC Sega would alienate existing members, there are other sites for that -- and I doubt we really have the interest or base to compete these days.

A wiki has been brought up in the past as well, however the context MTXBlau puts it in makes it much more interesting. If other people are willing to contribute, I'll put one online.

Alright, we have two people ready and willing to start compiling info.

Where should we start? What's our general area of focus? Is there a way to locally mirror the SX boards so we can go through threads and delete the irrelevant ones?

I don't think we need to sort the threads in the forum. Once the wiki is up and running it would just be a case of going through the threads and updating the wiki with missing info. The information should be organised in a way which would make everything easy to find quickly.

I copied all of my "informational" SX posts into my website:

www.JediMasterThrash.com/games

You're free to use any of it for the wiki of course. I've just already done the task of weeding through my posts and kept the useful ones.

The website/blog isn't meant to compete with SX, I just needed a website so that I could claim to have a business for my business paypal account for selling stuff at the MGC.

Any particular wiki software people prefer?

I never cared for MediaWiki (Although the new as-of-yet unreleased version they're beta'ing seems decent), although it's up to you guys provided a once-over doesn't bring up any concerns.

For the old SX content, I also thought about using a slightly modified WordPress install as a CMS engine to simplify things -- I actually have this up and running privately, and it seems to work well with a vbulletin bridge.

At work we use MediaWiki in conjunction with Postgres. It works pretty well so I wouldn't mind that one.

It has been a long time.

There aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done any more and video games and interweb are way down the list. :frown2:

mtxblau said:
It's funny that Sega is still an active company but SX went to the wayside. To me, this was always a Sega Saturn and Dreamcast site and once Sega pulled the plug on the DC, the energy that this site had dissipated.

Just my 2p. And it's good to see you all again. Including you, Cloud. ;-)

Not quite. If anything, it picked up quite a bit around 2003 and 2004. And don't forget all the drama with RevQuixo and such. Ah... The good times. I miss my Des. Haha. Haven't spoken to her since 2007.

Oh and, another redesign? Interesting.

Back