I NEED help big time

Just a question. I guess I was lucky enough not to get the virus, maybe cause I was using ZoneAlarm Pro, NAV Corp 7.6, and my routers harware firewall. And I already patched my OS with the patch from MS, so I believe that should stop it completely. But if I ever did get that virus would hitting "internet lock" or "stop all internet activity" on ZoneAlarm Pro stop the virus from restarting my system. And also, what are the EXACT ports RPC uses, cause I just want to close off as least as possible.

The virus isn't so bad and is easy to get rid of....but word to the wise don't try and install service pack 1 while the virus is infecting your machine.. :lol:

i backed up all my data 5 DVD-R's and have spent a good portion of the day trying to reinstall my drivers and programs as i was forced to do a reformat.

Originally posted by racketboy@Aug 13, 2003 @ 06:23 PM

it tells all that info on the Microsoft page

(don't have a link handy)

I dont believe it tells you the EXACT ports for RPC. Just a range you SHOULD have blocked.

This page lists the ports under "Prevention".

For those have been infected, note that there are at least three variants of the worm in the wild now. Each use different filenames which you'll have to take into account for the cleanup.

Have you guys taken these PC'S off your network. I had the problem (actually my wife...lol) but it only happened when I was on my network, once it was off I patched it witht the RPC patch out there, I forget the Knowlegebase article from microsoft but its only 1.3 meg if you need it let me know I got it on a floppy

here is what you need...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

this is the patch, if you are "reboot looping" this will fix your problem, be sure to be offline, though..

and to the other question on here,a good place for port listings is on your pc... check out C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc, the file is called "services" (open it with notepad) it has a bunch of services and their ports, check out doom... seriously... fyi. this is on xp, in 2000 is the same I believe...

Back