I work with old people!

OMFG! He gets paid?! Who'd have thought?! :sarcasm:

Does getting paid for your opinion somehow make it any less valid? If you suck, expect to hear "you suck"! Whats wrong with that? Yes he does it on national TV, but the idiots perform on national tv, so they set themselves up for it.

Does getting paid for your opinion somehow make it any less valid?

It can. On the plus side, people who do get paid to come up with BS opinions usually don't get to make important decisions. That's left to the politicians, who have a distressing habit of parroting some of those opinions with little scrutiny. :sigh

true it can. But that is not a given. Most of us are paid for our opinion in one way or another. It's the level of fallability or lack thereof, of that opinion over time that can add weight to it. The real question is whether Simon is someone who has proven that his opinion has weight.

a quick google states that he has produced several tv shows and was the creator as well as a judge on the original Brit version, POP Idol.

not so much the fact that he is getting paid to voice. More so that he gets paid to make it so harsh and come up with disses. Ya, they need to be told, but the whole being of the show is based on what he says. I guess it sells if he is still on? Not rlly my type of show.....

Originally posted by ExCyber@Feb 19, 2004 @ 11:50 AM

I have yet to meet a mechanic that doesn't own a car? Or a musician that doesn't own a radio. Or an author that doesn't own a book!!

Do you think that such people don't exist simply because you haven't physically run into them wherever you happen to be?

"Yet"

It's a small word, but with a very useful meaning. :p

Old people get stubborn and stuck in their ways. I just think you have an advantage in life if you try not to get to comfortable in "your ways."

If I was head of that IT department, I would hope that the employees were trying to stay on top of things. As fast as technology changes I know you can't track it all, but at least try to learn what you can. How can these people fully understand the advantages of home PCs and the ever growing battle to keep these home PCs safe. These mentioned "old people" have 0% at even trying to understand the role and evolution of the home PC.

I would be ashamed to admit that to an employer, but it sounds like they actually boast about it. Maybe their ego has fooled them into thinking they know it all already, and don't need to continue their education of personal home computing.

I'm just speculating here. I'm sure they're great people, but just typical old stubborn people. ;)

However, so I don't sound like a complete asshole. These people might actually have a grasp on the future role of the home PC. Maybe they refuse to sign their souls over and become slaves to the PC in their home life. Maybe they don't want to invite the world into their home, and maybe they don't want the risk of the next strain of virus that makes it's round.

Good for them, but I'd rather be a part of it all. I'd rather examine each step the home PC makes into our homes, and keep my eye on the reduction of privacy that takes place the more it becomes involved with our daily routine.

And has it effected their ability to do they're job?

"stuck in their ways" is an interesting term. I have found that it is an individual phenomemon not related to age. Just look for threads here regarding differences between PC's and Mac's. Different gaming consoles, ECT. Of coarse, who knows. If you ask, maybe they will tell you why they don't own a home computer. I know people who don't own TV's and yes, one musician who refuses to listen to any other music because he doesn't want to be influenced by it in his own writing.

I agree, everyone is "stuck in their ways" in one form or another. I would also think that an IT guy NOT owning a computer, would hinder his ability to work. New stuff is comming out ALL the time and is ALWAYS changing. If he isn't constantly going to classes, then chances are the guy isn't very good in his field, and will more likely or not be weeded out.

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Feb 20, 2004 @ 05:05 PM

I agree, everyone is "stuck in their ways" in one form or another. I would also think that an IT guy NOT owning a computer, would hinder his ability to work. New stuff is comming out ALL the time and is ALWAYS changing. If he isn't constantly going to classes, then chances are the guy isn't very good in his field, and will more likely or not be weeded out.

Actually, the IT guy was the one that hadn't heard of WIRED.

A couple of the programmers are the ones that don't have a PC.

I just don't know how one gets interested in programming without having a PC to tinker with.

Maybe like they started doing it in the 70's in college then went to grad school in the 80's then just worked with computers the whole time never actually owning one but doing all their programming at an acedmic and then eventually professional level

Racket, I dont see how ANYONE gets interested in programming...I took 2 courses of it and they blew, haha. Not my kinda thing I guess.....

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Feb 20, 2004 @ 08:04 PM

Racket, I dont see how ANYONE gets interested in programming...I took 2 courses of it and they blew, haha. Not my kinda thing I guess.....

me either :D

wow, the programmers without PCs?

It's hard to imagine from my perspective. I've always considered programming an art form. Heh, but most artist are a bit "freaky in their ways". . . haha, there does that sound better! ;)

Artistic

Somehow I don't consider Wired to be the epitome of computer related magazines. It's more of a hip magazine for tech people. Which basically means that for the most part it's quite useless to IT people. They'd be more likely to get more dry, down to earth magazines (such as for a lack of a better example, PC Magazine).

Back