Just curious...

I never liked my PSX... I hated it's 3D games. However, I hated Saturns 3D games too. To me, 1st gen 3D games felt like playing the A2600 again. Yeah, it was nice but you could see the potential was there (Which the DC, PS2, GC and XBox have all shown... I thought it was going to be another generation at least!) Which is why I prefer the Saturn and all it's 2D fantasticary
smile.gif

Originally posted by Mysticales@June 23 2002,21:22

<snip>

Also Sega Cd started it all.... no wait... 3do started the Game cds but wasnt till sega cd that turned the games around. Then all did it. Hell Snes HAD a cd rom unit as well. Doubt you saw it tho. Saturn was a atempt to combind 32x into a system. Better games and graphics. Then PSX was out which was ahead of its time really. After that all sucked.. N64 was crap unless you gave it to a kid to play with (so they dont mess up the cds) DC was a joke. I mean SURE I bought it, LOVE IT. I love sonic and PSO and soul caliber.

<snip>

snes cd wasnt ever released, it bacame what we now know as the phillips cdi and the sony playstation (originally i gather they were designed to be addons like the megacd units was for the mega drive)

DC's fate was pretty much decided here by a combatination of the consoles and addons that came before it (mega cd, 32x and saturn), segas poor marketing (we got cinema adverts with the slogan of 6 billion players and no gameplay footage at all (things like 4 barbers racing to see who could finish cutting first for example) and football team sponsorship, no tv adverts that i ever saw either

and the football sponsorship might have worked better if at the time there had been a football based game worth playing here

the only thing i can really fault the dc on is sega europes marketing and game releasing schedule (eg pso v2 came out march 2002 here), and the fragile as hell cases we got

the retailers here didnt help much either, dc tended to get pushed to the back of the store from the start with the n64 titles, to leave space for psx/ps2/pc stuff

although i notice now that in my local eb/game store the back wall is currently the gamecube rack, with dc on a stand infront of the gba stuff (they ditched the n64 a few weeks ago there) with ps2 towards the front and xbox right by the door

so it looks like they are favouring xbox for whatever reason there at least

Yeah, all the Game and Electronics Boutiques I've been in have had the Xbox's far more prominent than anything else. Lots of DC bargains in there though since they're getting rid of the stock..

Those DC cases quite badly designed, surprised it took me til last week to break one.

It was funny that Sega took all the necessary steps to acoid doing what they did with the Saturn when it came to DC. I don't think we can really fault Sega at all. They gave us all the games we wanted, gave us a wonderfully powerful system (which IMHO stilll can compete visually with what we're seeig out there now), and internet play. Unfortunatly, the public, and by public I mean Japan, didn't wanna hear anything of it. You know why? Cuz they were all being told the PS2 was the best thing since sliced bread.

Here is a nice pic for you all. And yea NES adandoned it, However it was made...

NCD4.jpg

Also I dont care about you all saying I hate this.. you all owned it most likey or still do and I bet most of you all still use it when time is right.

As for Gamecube... What are you kidding me?

Originally posted by crystalmethod@June 23 2002,23:03

It was funny that Sega took all the necessary steps to acoid doing what they did with the Saturn when it came to DC. I don't think we can really fault Sega at all. They gave us all the games we wanted, gave us a wonderfully powerful system (which IMHO stilll can compete visually with what we're seeig out there now), and internet play. Unfortunatly, the public, and by public I mean Japan, didn't wanna hear anything of it. You know why? Cuz they were all being told the PS2 was the best thing since sliced bread.

i dont blame the system for its failure, i dont know whereabouts you are, but if youd seen the advertising for it here (England) then youd understand my point

to be honest, they would have had a more sucessful advertising campaign if they took the same amount of money as they spent and burnt it in some public place

the first time i actually wanted a dc was when i played on one, i had totally ignored the system upto that point to be honest

Originally posted by solid_snake@June 23 2002,23:12

I like my Snes
smile.gif

Gotta love those random posts
smile.gif

I assume you're in the UK too megametalgreymon? I really can't remember anything advertising-wise here for the DC, barring them sponsoring Arsenal. I think Sega did a lot better by their fans with the DC than they have done with anything since the Megadrive, but by then their reputation was already bad enough. Maybe if some of the titles they've got lined up for the big-name franchises (Panzer Dragoon, Shinobi, Toejam and Earl etc) had been considered for the DC things might have been different.

Cystalmethod, I don't think you give the Japanese enough credit. There was a post somewhere on here about the DC outselling the Xbox in Japan, I'm sure the Xbox has had at least enough hype as the PS2 over there. The reason they probably believed in the prospective PS2 more than the Dreamcast is because in the generation of consoles before them Sony gave a lot better value for the consumer than Sega (PS1 had the highest game to console ratio of any system in history, the Saturn's library was limited at best.. especially anywhere outside of Japan). What's the use in pointing the finger?

the trouble with that is that segas fanbase here was by the dc's launch converted to the psx mainly, there is very few younger owners of the dc, whoses parents might buy games for them, or to introduce it to their friends

half of the people i work with own dc's, most own at least a psx, very few own ps2's (me and 2 others i know own the gc, noone i know of owns an xbox yet there)

the trouble wasnt as much satsifing the fan base, it was more that they needed to expand it, which they didnt do very well, since most of the poeple playing it were the same people who remember the sms

i personally spent a fair while playing streets of rage on the megadrive with friends back 10 or so years ago, now if i was playing games at that age the liklyhood would be that it was on the psx, simply because thats the system that got the better marketing and therefore the cooler image

and yeah, i am in the uk as well

Originally posted by Mysticales@June 23 2002,18:07

Here is a nice pic for you all. And yea NES adandoned it, However it was made...

NCD4.jpg

Also I dont care about you all saying I hate this.. you all owned it most likey or still do and I bet most of you all still use it when time is right.

As for Gamecube... What are you kidding me?

hey, that same pic was in EGM back in the day...is that where you got it from?also,id like to point out, thats not a real picture...

Originally posted by Curtis@June 23 2002,20:25

Its a concept drawing of the Nintendo Playstation (as it was reportably going to be called).

thanks for answering for me...i still cant believe people think thats a real picture...sheesh...
biggrin.gif

I thought it was because of a falling out between Sony and Nintendo over software licensing.

Back