Just curious...

Originally posted by Supergrom@June 24 2002,20:15

i dont see how you compare xbox to a laptop. laptops cost a LOT more money, have a screen built in, and are made for completely different purpose. Im not a huge fan of the xbox, but im not a fan of the ps2 of gc really either. IMO, none of them are really worthy of purchase right now. In fact, in the next week im shelling out money for computer upgrades rather than buying a new console. Cheaper, more versatile, more games, better internet play, lasts longer, better graphics, backwards compatible, emulation, the list goes on and on.

Oh well, i dont agree with your bashing of the xbox, i think it has a lot going for it, but not really anymore than any other new console right now. I dont see why you bash the n64 either. Granted, the carts were a mistake, but they made the best of it, and i still play my n64. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, both Zeldas, fzero, are all great games, along with others.

oh well, thats my opinion, just had to get it out.

Zelda 3 was better than both N64 versions of Zelda combined...talk about being overrated...
biggrin.gif

If he starts up against FF now im gonna SMACK and Boot him. FF proved itself.. FF8 sucked.. FF9 is ok (havent goten around to finishing it yet) Ff10 never played. But the early ones are great!

Also As for those N64 games... you just listed the ones I own... (Except golden eye) Perfect Dark was better then it. Other then that, you listed the few good games it had. Guantlet was another good one. The mario and super smash were ok as well as Killer instinct gold.

If he starts up against FF now im gonna SMACK and Boot him. FF proved itself.. FF8 sucked.. FF9 is ok (havent goten around to finishing it yet) Ff10 never played. But the early ones are great!

Well I wasn't in the mood to start but Myst deserves my opinion.
tongue.gif

Mine is:

FF7: Good one (I have it)

FF8: Sucked (I have it too)

FF9: Sucked

FF10: Good Story

FF11: Great clone of Everquest/PSO

*wants SMACK from Myst* :pPP

Maybe you're just more of an action-rpg man. I like traditional RPGs but can't shake off the feeling that the battles are sort of like digitised top-trumps.. Surely in fantasy worlds the last thing they'd fight with is a truckload of statistics.

FF8 was the beginning of the end for me.. Square games started to lose their character after FF7 IMO. Now their games seem more like linear interactive movies than games.

No he is right.. FF8 was bad.. =(

I mean it took elements of Espers and made them "Guardians"?! Thats a first low... ok all the game was FINE till Disc 4.... poor ending and that you HAD to lvl up and power up the magic SUCKED. Story line is like a one time RPG... The fun part was Disc 1 and the card game.

Compaired to FF7 it was bad =( FF7 DREW me into the world as Lunar did. You felt SAD when Areis died. You got to KNOW the land, the world, all around it, the side quests were fun and you were FREE like FF6. FF8 isnt so much "free" to explore.

FF9 is ok, but cant give advice yet since I havent beaten it.

FF10 I dont know.

FF6 was GREAT! 62 gametime hours! (WOW) didnt know Snes could have so much WORLD and text and story in it! That was well done, glad they didnt change it for PSX. FF5 was a FFT type game, not a rpg so much but worth it for those who like FFT, FF4 was also fun but hard.

FF is fun, sorry to say. Id play FF7 and FF6 more then the rest.

PSX- Legend of Dragoon was also a good story RPG, also Rhadopsity good story based on "A puppet Princess" and yes that WAS a real story. =)

HELL I had a tear at the end of Lunar for PSX... I KNEW Alex was alive, yet to see Jessica cry was something new and that got to me....

To tell the truth, I had a tear too on FF7 when Aeris died.

SPOILERS WARNING!!!

As well as in Shining Force 2 when Bowie is kissing Ellis.

The Aeris thing seemed to come straight out of the blue to me on FF7, it's not often a character you control dies permanently. I think I thought about it for days afterwards, kind of in a state of shock. Maybe because I wanted Cloud to like Aeris more than Tifa or something.. Someone needs to slap me and tell me it's only a game..

Originally posted by Myname@June 26 2002,04:26

The Aeris thing seemed to come straight out of the blue to me on FF7, it's not often a character you control dies permanently. I think I thought about it for days afterwards, kind of in a state of shock. Maybe because I wanted Cloud to like Aeris more than Tifa or something.. Someone needs to slap me and tell me it's only a game..

yeah i pretty much felt(feel?)the same way...Xenogears about drove me over the edge(the part where Ramsus attacks Fei & Elly in his Omnigear and it looks as if Elly is going to die,after)
sad.gif

More than sad or angry, games that pull that shit tend to leave me feeling cheated. Books, games, etc, are a freindly escape from reality you can enjoy at your leisure. If I wanted to see people get cheated, killed, etc, I'd just watch the evening news. I expect my game to deliver a happy ending (Suikoden, Suikoden II, Wild Arms, Wild Arms II, Sakura Taisen, Gulliver Boy, Emerald Dragon especially, Estpolis Denki/Lufia) and tend to be a little irritated when it doesn't (FF7, Grandia II where Ryudo ends up with nobody, etc).

Of course there are those occasional games sporting a non-fully happy ending however, when you think about it that ending best fit the game and making a happy ending would have destroyed the point of it (Dragon Quest IV, Dragon Quest VI) (of course DQ4 changes in the remake >_< but in terms of the original what else could you do but kill Death Pisaro. Due to Rosary having been brutally slaughtered by that gang of humans, the guy completely lost his head. He was already a little nutty but that so put him over the edge. There was no way he'd "mend his evil ways" so your only option was to kill him).

I think my favorites are games that deliver a different ending that befits how you played the game, for example Sentimental graffiti 2 which has 37 possible endings to the game depending on how you progress through it. Not only do you end up with one of the girls but depending on how your relationship develops you can end up with one of three endings ranging from "Yeah, it's over" to ub3r-happy. (example: ending 1: Manami recovers and leaves hospital thanks to you. ending 2: Manami learns how to live for herself thanks to your support, recovers and leaves hospital. ending 3: Manami falls in love with you during the time you spent taking care of her, recovers and leaves the hospital, and you live happily ever after - at least till they decide to kill your character with a truck at the start of Sentimental Graffiti 3 so you can run around with the same 12 women yet again) (if you missed the pun in that, you really need to play both games
tongue.gif
).

Back