LOL!

Heh... at least Shenmue, didn't rip-off another game's plot (Phantasy Star II), have flat-boring characters (save for Tidus and Auron. They were cool), and have the single worst, and most annoying character ever (Yuna). The two most important aspects of an RPG are FFX's biggest flaws. Story, and Characters/Character Development. Hell, Chrono Cross (all 44 of 'em) had better, more interesting characters than FFX! And you had to really go out of your way to learn about 'em (as Serge and Kid got about all the main development), but they (the other 42) had more development than all the characters in FFX combined! That's just sad... when characters not really connected to the plot are more interesting, than the MAIN characters in a major game like FFX. FFX had great music (I LOVE "Sprouting"), and fun gameplay.

Shenmue, while not as groundbreaking as SM64 (referring to an earlier post in the DC section), was very innovative, groundbreaking, and... get this... FUN! That game kept you enthralled. Sure, it was very slow at the beginning, and at other parts, but the fact you were playing in a virtaul living world, just made it fun to get lost. And you could play Hang-On, and Space Harrier (Harrier OWNS you!). I probably played darts more than anything (those are addicting). Shenmue proved that Suzuki can do more than just VF. FFX just added more to Square's long list of crap games of this generation (just about ALL of 'em) Square has always had trouble doing something other than RPGs, and now that their RPGs are slowly going to hell, I don't see Square doing much better. Square is nothing lik they used to be. Square used to be the god, but then this generation of games hit. Square and EA are perfect examples of why I love Sega.

Sega = Innovation, EA = Rehash, Square = Shadow of former self.

*looks at Ammut's post*

:eek: :blink: :eek:

What are you guys standing around for?? Help me dig a bunker before Des-Row spots this thread!!

And today we have Phantasy Star IV vs. Super Metroid.. just another bitter reminder that us SEGA-lovers have to stick together.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Apr 15, 2004 @ 01:46 AM

*looks at Ammut's post*

:eek: :blink: :eek:

What are you guys standing around for?? Help me dig a bunker before Des-Row spots this thread!!

I think Des-Row is back from vacation now :blink:

*starts digging out a bunker*

By all accounts, the poll is pretty awful for what it's supposed to be...

I mean, of course it's all based on people's opinions, but Mortal Kombat? The Simpsons? Secret of Mana? Sure, not bad games, but best game ever?

It's the equivelent of someone trying to claim Fantiastic Dizzy to be the best platformer ever.... it may have been good, but it's out of it's league.

Especially alongside the glaring ommisions in the poll...

Ah well, maybe I expect too much from people who voted Cloud Strife as Best Character...

I may as well stick around and give Sonic a push though.

Heh... at least Shenmue, didn't rip-off another game's plot (Phantasy Star II), have flat-boring characters (save for Tidus and Auron. They were cool), and have the single worst, and most annoying character ever (Yuna). The two most important aspects of an RPG are FFX's biggest flaws. Story, and Characters/Character Development. Hell, Chrono Cross (all 44 of 'em) had better, more interesting characters than FFX! And you had to really go out of your way to learn about 'em (as Serge and Kid got about all the main development), but they (the other 42) had more development than all the characters in FFX combined! That's just sad... when characters not really connected to the plot are more interesting, than the MAIN characters in a major game like FFX. FFX had great music (I LOVE "Sprouting"), and fun gameplay.

Define "Contradiction" for me, please.

Shenmue, while not as groundbreaking as SM64 (referring to an earlier post in the DC section), was very innovative, groundbreaking, and... get this... FUN! That game kept you enthralled. Sure, it was very slow at the beginning, and at other parts, but the fact you were playing in a virtaul living world, just made it fun to get lost. And you could play Hang-On, and Space Harrier (Harrier OWNS you!). I probably played darts more than anything (those are addicting). Shenmue proved that Suzuki can do more than just VF. FFX just added more to Square's long list of crap games of this generation (just about ALL of 'em) Square has always had trouble doing something other than RPGs, and now that their RPGs are slowly going to hell, I don't see Square doing much better. Square is nothing lik they used to be. Square used to be the god, but then this generation of games hit. Square and EA are perfect examples of why I love Sega.

Shenmue was innovative, yes. Shenmue was groundbreaking, yes. But fun? Fuck no, it wasn't. It was one of the two most boring games I've ever "played" (Xenogears being the other one)... and Shenmue's plot bored me on top of everything else. OMG I'M GOING AFTER THE GUY WHO KILLED MY FATHER - how many times has that plot been done now, please? Not to mention the QTE's or whatever they were called - I can't even sit down and enjoy the fucking cinematics, I have to watch out for magical button presses. How irritating. And most of the "fun" you listed in Shenmue - GET THIS! - is derived from games COMPLETELY UNRELATED TO SHENMUE ITSELF.

Oh, and by the way, how can you say FFX was crap when you said yourself it had "fun gameplay"? Isn't that what's most important when you're, you know, holding a controller, staring at a glowing screen, watching little coloured dots move around in various fascinating ways? If I want plot, I'd much prefer a good book (Xenogears would've been a thousand times better in novel form).

Cloud121 => You got served!

I promise that's the last time I say that. I personally enjoyed both Shenmue and Final Fantasy X. Why do games always need to be compared to completely different games? I could pick one of the flaws in Final Fantasy X and say Shenmue is better because of that. But I'm not going to. :huh

Eh?

The hell you mean by that? Tag didn't enjoy Shenmue, so she's against what I said.

FFX was crap, sinply because the character development was atrocious, and the plot was bleh. Just a spin-off of PSII (in my eyes anyway). FFX was crap for those two reasons. Yes, gameplay is the most important part of a game, but NOT in an RPG. The most important parts of an RPG are the story and characters. Gameplay comes after those two. Xenogears went too far in this regard however, as I agree with you, boring as hell! There needs to be a good amount of gameplay between cutscenes. Xenogears has the best battle-system I've ever seen, and has great gameplay as well, however, when you only get about five minutes to actually play between cut-scenes, it goes too far.

To Tagrineth

You don't like Shenmue, fine. That's your opinion.

Here's mine : after I played it and its sequel, I got a glimpse of what could (or should) be the future of gaming. It was a unique experience, something new and refreshing.

And if one day Shenmue III is released, it'll make me buy whatever console it'll be on ...

No big surprise there, I'm sure most casual gamers have never played Earthbound, whereas even your mom knows what Doom is.

It was a good game indeed, but IMHO can't compare to the thrill of firing up DOOM for the first time.

Originally posted by Runik@Apr 16, 2004 @ 02:44 AM

To Tagrineth

You don't like Shenmue, fine. That's your opinion.

Here's mine : after I played it and its sequel, I got a glimpse of what could (or should) be the future of gaming. It was a unique experience, something new and refreshing.

And if one day Shenmue III is released, it'll make me buy whatever console it'll be on ...

If Shenmue is the future of gaming, then I quit. Games should never strive to be THAT life-like in overall design. I mean, COME ON. Having to do an incredibly irritating menial job to get money (just like in real life!)? Ugh.. if I want to do that, I'll just get a job IRL and get REAL money, so I can spend it on more significant things. Shenmue just copies far too many of the really, really irritating aspects of real life.

Shenmue should've been made in book form.

Are you smoking crack? If you found Shenmue the game boring, Shenmue the book would be 1000x moreso. The plot was okay...FOR A VIDEO GAME, but as a novel it would be godawful.

[Shenmue] better? Are you kidding? It was the worst [game] I played, terrible character design, bad story, [overall it was] an amazing failure.

Final Fantasy X was definately better, why? it exceeded [Shenmue] in every aspect. [It had] the summon system, good story, nice love story, great character design, voices, and incredible cut-scenes. [Plus it didn't cost twenty million dollars to make ^_^]

No, seriously, I do not understand what is the problem that MEN have against Final Fantasy X.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Apr 17, 2004 @ 01:08 PM

If Shenmue is the future of gaming, then I quit. Games should never strive to be THAT life-like in overall design. I mean, COME ON. Having to do an incredibly irritating menial job to get money (just like in real life!)? Ugh.. if I want to do that, I'll just get a job IRL and get REAL money, so I can spend it on more significant things. Shenmue just copies far too many of the really, really irritating aspects of real life.

Shenmue should've been made in book form.

I agree completely.

Back