Model 1 vs model 2

I have an opportunity to purchase a model 1 drive at a local thrift store. If is $35 with a model 1 system and control pad and arcade stick included. Is it worth it?

Also, which is better? I already have a model 2 cd drive. Are there any advatages of one over the other?

I found the model 1 to be much better.

Its sturdier and I like the bios better.

Also the tray is easier to use, IMO

I owned both, but I olny got a model 2 to match my model 2 Genny

if you want a well built machine you buy model 1, if you want compatibilty you buy model 2.

i personaly have a model 1 and some games dont work correctly, mortal kombat is just one of them.

has problems loading the data into the mega cd's ram.

I havn't got to use the model 1 much, so I can't really comment on it.

I have a Model 2 and I've never had any problems with it. I've also been able to easily modify it to read CDRWs, and I'm unsure if the Model 1 can do this.

I have a model 1 sega CD, and Mortal Kombat CD (found it for .69 at a thrift store). MK plays perfectly fine on it. In fact, the load times are far less than I'd have thought reading the reviews.

JMT.

Yeah i paid dearly for the model 1 but it is well worth it. It just looks cooler and is veru stable. Took a 10 foot fall on to a concrete floor one time and still works like a charm. Current console makers could learn a lot from the old stuff.

Once when I had my model 2 apart I dropped the drive component about 5 feet. It landed on kitchen tile, bounced and rolled another 5 feet. Luckily it also works great, and I'm damn lucky I didn't bust the laser lens.
blush.gif

I have both models and find myself using the the megacd 1 the most, cause it allows me to have it kept in a tight cabinet (unless i hook up the 32X to it)thanks to the front loading tray. I also have had no trouble with games such as Mortal Kombat or with games on CDR's.

The only trouble i have with my model 1 Megacd/Megadrive is that i get no audio when attaching my 32X to it. When i want to play 32X games i need to attach it to my model 2 Megacd/Megadrive to enjoy audio when playing.

Originally posted by racketboy@Apr 17, 2003 @ 10:57 AM

well a Model 2 has problems with older games like Lunar sometimes

I recently tried Lunar Silver Star in my Model 2. It loads fine, and then gets to the title screen, and then it hangs at a black screen.

racketboy, is this the problem you mentinoed with the model 2 and lunar?

Is there a way around it?
sad.gif
Do others have this problem?

BTW, my bios number is 2.00

Originally posted by Tindo@heart+Apr 19, 2003 @ 09:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tindo@heart @ Apr 19, 2003 @ 09:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Apr 17, 2003 @ 10:57 AM

well a Model 2 has problems with older games like Lunar sometimes

I recently tried Lunar Silver Star in my Model 2. It loads fine, and then gets to the title screen, and then it hangs at a black screen.

racketboy, is this the problem you mentinoed with the model 2 and lunar?

Is there a way around it?
sad.gif
Do others have this problem?

BTW, my bios number is 2.00 [/b][/quote]

I would like to correct myself.

I had a bad copy.

I recently got a different copy and the game works great!

I have already played about half an hour and it plays fine.

What is this problem people says Model 2 SCDs have with Lunar? I remember I rented the game and beat it, and I saw no crashes/freezes/errors whatsoever. Everything ran super-fine, and that was one of my best weeks ever. :)

Lunar Eternal Blue runs fine on my Model 2 but Lunar Silver Star Story just hangs at the menu screen and I have had every rip of it possible... even a DIRECT COPY! I dont know maybe its just my segacd :-/ Every other game runs fine.

I am going to buy a Model 1 and try that.

Originally posted by Jaded God@May 19, 2003 @ 01:15 PM

Lunar Eternal Blue runs fine on my Model 2 but Lunar Silver Star Story just hangs at the menu screen and I have had every rip of it possible... even a DIRECT COPY! I dont know maybe its just my segacd :-/ Every other game runs fine.

I am going to buy a Model 1 and try that.

same here

Well, I have a dl'd copy and it runs GREAT....hasn't hung yet and I have a model 2 as well....so I take it that it is just your 2 SCDs

The opposite happens with my model2. Lunar 2 used to freeze in the anime intro, and only a few times it would get past it. Now that I look back on it, I think it was a bad CD.

Back