My Car Died :(

If your a driving enthusiast (as myself and Ice and I assume many other people are) driving is not viewed as tedious but rather sport.

Manual transmission offers control and adds fun to the drive.

If your commuting to work in your SUV then yes, I agree, a stick will be a bitch.

In a sports car however, your just doing a disservice to yourself buy buying an automatic.

And the point of front wheel drive is being totaly missed... by putting the power in the front of the car, where the majority of the car's weight is located, it helps with traction and control on ice and other slick surfaces. It isn't a save-all solution, but it helps a lot.

I will never again buy a car without FWD. The final straw with my Camaro was when it didn't have enough traction to get up the hill into my NO OUTLET neighborhood. I've NEVER gotten stuck like that in a FWD vehicle, even in far worse icy road conditions.

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Wed, 2005-02-09 @ 06:22 PM

And the point of front wheel drive is being totaly missed... by putting the power in the front of the car, where the majority of the car's weight is located, it helps with traction and control on ice and other slick surfaces.

Unless of course you are accelerating, in which case weight is transfered to the rear of the car. In this situation you'd be better off with a RWD. Besides, if the front wheels are skidding, you really don't want to be putting power through them - that'll make the skid worse, unless you know what you're doing.

Ideally in ice/wet you want either a 4WD, or AWD. Better still, somebody else driving. :)

New Car

That is what I might get in the next couple of months to replace my loss. Insurance company gave me $12k for my 84 corvette, not bad but I was hoping for around $15k.

POWER BRAKES

POWER DOOR LOCKS

POWER DRIVER'S SEAT

Power Steering

POWER WINDOWS

DRIVER SIDE POWER MIRROR(S)

Damn ... you're going to be a full time power ranger :D

Originally posted by Supergrom@Wed, 2005-02-09 @ 02:06 PM

i cant stand power windows, especially in american cars. they brake waaaaaaaayyy too easy. and mountaindud, driving stick is one way to spice up that tedious chore. I actually enjoy my commute as long as there isnt traffic.

[post=129370]Quoted post[/post]​

My friend hates them for the same reason. And he has a Honda (or, HAD a Honda, before he totaled it).

And someone explain to me this. My fiancee just bought a Mazda Protege5 with a "sport tronic" transmission. I don't get the point. For those not in the know, this is an optional clutchless shift on an automatic. If she puts it in this mode she can shift it herself by just pushing the stick forward or back. It even shifts down to 1st gear automatically when you come to a stop. I've only tried it once and it's really easy to use, but it's not any "sportier" than when it's in automatic. Who is this marketed at? Seems like anyone who would want a manual would buy a manual. Can someone shed a light on this for me?

Quadriflex: If you want the ease of use of an automatic, and the option of being fully automatic. Also, I presume it lets you red line it as often as you damned well please. Really, I don't see much point in it either. But it is possible to make great automatic transmissions, they're just complicated as hell. You don't usually fix an auto tranny, you just get a new one.

Vertigo: What Curtis said. You've still only got one or two wheels supplied power, so AWD or especially 4WD would be better. Although 4WD vehicles usually have some means to avoid operating in 4WD all the time (automated or otherwise), because its much less fuel efficient.

But I still wouldn't want to take a turn in bad conditions in an open differential FWD car... if it had LSD (the LEGAL kind) like GM's "Posi-Traction", that'd be another story. I believe Ice said he was taking a turn at the time, not going straight up a hill. In which case many FWD vehicles would have one of the front wheels trying to slip even without ice. ;)

Edit: Damn Iceman, why not just get one of the new ones with the 6 liter LS2. You know you want it. BTW I heard they're thinking of making RWD Impalas again in like 07.

Car

That is what I am picking up next week. As for a C6, I just can't possibly afford one.

Wanted a Manual Z06 but I also don't want to be in debt long since I just got out of debt last year. This is perfect and looks damn sexy.

The autmatics with the buttons on the wheel or other non-typical means of 'manual' shifting are annoying to me mainly because people confuse them with sequential manual transmissions which are what I like to call "good."

Manual models cars generally have significantly more horsepower and better gas mileage becasue there's less places to lose power (no torque converter, etc.). Not to mention that these days manual models of sports cars often include better components standard for the enthusiasts who buy manual.

80+% of all vettes are automatic. Automatics are also faster w/ a shift kit/stall converter.

Either way he has lik 280 to the wheels in that Z06 SOOOOO I am sure he is gunna have fun. Very sexy car, If you really want see if you can get a T-56 out of a wrecked vette, shouldn't be too hard. CHeck into the camaro/trans am T-56, I think it's the same tranny. Not sure though. Enjoy :).

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Fri, 2005-02-11 @ 02:07 AM

80+% of all vettes are automatic. Automatics are also faster w/ a shift kit/stall converter.
Their biggest problem, again, is not capability. It's complexity. They work until they break, and then you throw them away. Really, it always comes down to personal preference. Some people just like driving stick.

Automatics are harder to break than manuals....no accidently shift from 4th to 3rd or anything.

but seriously, he is gettin a sexy ass vette, who cares? lol.

have you ever driven a manual transmission car? Shifting from 4th to 3rd isn't exactly easy to do accidently. Generally with a modern manual transmission, the transmission knows what gear it wants to be in when you shift (hell my z does that and it's 26 years old). Now that doesn't mean you can't do it intentionally... but even that's not so bad, as long as you're not going for 5th while redlining in 4th and put in 3rd. That would probably destroy your engine too would be my guess. That and redlining in 4th is generally a really good way to get a speeding ticket, I know I can break 115 in the z in 4th without redlining and it's still basically stock.

Rabbit, if your said your car is like 26 years old does that mean you have a Datsun 280Z? That thing is crazy! The original Z car, before Nissan was even born. I'd love to line it up with you, your actually worthy, unlike Ice and his neverending string of vettes :p j/k Ice, don't snap

zx actually. But yeah. One of these days I'm gonna get my hands on a 240z and really goto town on it. For my zx though I've got plans to build a 3.1L stroker and put it in there. Sure it's heavier than the S30 z's, but not much, and that 3.1L engine will be a monster.

Back