Neon Genesis

mtxblau

Mid Boss
Just a question to pose to all of you:

Many people, including the director (or so they say) did not like the final two episodes (25, 26 respectively) which prompted Gainax to call it an OVA and release 'Death and Rebirth' and the "true" ending, 'The End of Evangelion' (correct me if I'm wrong).

The question is, which ending did you prefer, 'the End' or the original final episodes?

It seems the majority feel that the endings were lousy; I honestly think the last two episodes were fantastic and made sense in terms of the series; 'The End', to me, ruined the series, even though it may have tied up some loose ends (albeit in a very strange fashion).

Thoughts? Comments?

havent seen Death and Rebirth, but I know I didnt like the actionless, 'dream' episodes. Sure, Shinji was supposed to be in the Instrumentality, but they dont LET YOU KNOW THAT beforehand, so when i watched it the first time, i was like...WTF?

I ended up scanning ahead thru the 'talking parts, which ended up being the entire 2 episodes. That was too cool of a series to end like that.

Originally posted by PUNJABEE@Oct. 14 2002, 10:32 am

havent seen Death and Rebirth, but I know I didnt like the actionless, 'dream' episodes. Sure, Shinji was supposed to be in the Instrumentality, but they dont LET YOU KNOW THAT beforehand, so when i watched it the first time, i was like...WTF?

I thought it was fairly obvious as the episodes went on... at least, it was pretty obvious that Test Type Eva 01 was special, and Shinji continually synching well with his Eva without effort as the progressed, and heck, the Eva starting itself up several times without power, etc.

And besides, at one point he became a gelatinous blob inside the eva? I thought the sequence there was the idea behind the Instrumentality.

Death and Rebirth isn't worth seeing, trust me. If you watched the eps, you've seen DaR.

Perhaps it's just that when I heard of NGE, I was expecting a nonaction conclusion (more thinking than anything), and I got it, whereas most people from even the intro would be expecting mecha action, etc.

In any event, the End, to me, made next to no sense. Could someone explain to me why he was choking Asuka? And why they were still around after the instrumentality? or was that in Shinji's mind? Rei was an angel, but how was Shinji calling her? And why did she die in the end?

In sum, 'the End' is a mess of fairly fantastic and graphic images seemingly spliced together at whim making little to no sense...

Definitely a great storyline with a bad ending. I liked all of the Evangelion episodes except for the final ones. It seemed that the writers had built up a plot with no end result which was very inconclusive. The concepts though were truly remarkable.

Originally posted by MTXBlau+Oct. 16 2002, 1:06 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTXBlau @ Oct. 16 2002, 1:06 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>In any event, the End, to me, made next to no sense. Could someone explain to me why he was choking Asuka? And why they were still around after the instrumentality? or was that in Shinji's mind?[/b]

Shinji finally snapped and his other self, the part that was suppressed, took over wanting revenge for all those times Asuka treated him badly.

<!--QuoteBegin-MTXBlau
@Oct. 16 2002, 1:06 am

Rei was an angel, but how was Shinji calling her? And why did she die in the end?[/quote]

Rei had many clone bodies/vessels but only one soul (that of Shinji's mom, Yui Ikari). When Ritsuko Akagi, NERV's head technician, destroyed all those clones in that secret room, Rei couldn't be resurrected/cloned anymore.

I thought Shinji's mom's soul was in his Eva, thats why it protected him those times, and came alive.

And I thought that Rei was supposed to be Lilith or something

i just bought a copy of volume one and it's the original release, not the remastered ed.
angry.gif

gonna call adv sometime soon and cajole them into sending me copy of the disc without hardcoded subtitles

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Oct. 16 2002, 11:05 pm

Shinji finally snapped and his other self, the part that was suppressed, took over wanting revenge for all those times Asuka treated him badly.

Rei had many clone bodies/vessels but only one soul (that of Shinji's mom, Yui Ikari). When Ritsuko Akagi, NERV's head technician, destroyed all those clones in that secret room, Rei couldn't be resurrected/cloned anymore.

And about Shinji's mom, I thought that was the case, too - didn't she disappear when they were activating that Eva? In any event, while he was in that black hole with no power, wasn't Shinji communicating with his mom which reactivated the Eva?

Ok, I get the Asuka part. In that context, she stroking his cheek was pretty creepy. In any event, why were they still around after the instrumentality? And what of their Evas?

And about Rei, what I was trying to get to was that scene in 'The End' where she won't merge w/ Shinji's father and instead and joins with Lilith and 'goes to Shinji'... (???), and then after some fantastic images, Rei begins falling apart (her head falls off, as if someone slit her neck).

MTX -

I read in a Anime Invasion that the reason Shinji and Asuka weren't in the Instrumentality is because Shinji CHOSE not to, and brought Asuka with him, (or something like that, those arent the words used by the mag)

Sorta like at the End of Robotech, in the Novels. Minme and Rem (Zor) end up in their own little universe/dimension. I dunno. Im tired.

lol....most people i know get confused with evangelion

The last 2 TV episodes, were not ment to be.......Air (see death and rebirth DVD) & Heart (see 'the end of evangelion DVD once released)...they are the real episodes 25/26...

think of it like this....in episode 22(i think) the spear is removed from Lilith's chest...on the UK/US release..we did not see Lilith's leg's grow back for a reason.....because WE were not getting Air And Heart!! BUT the jap's were...so they got to see this happen.....otherwise the plot would of made less sense to people......In air, her legs had grown back...ANYONE that has got D&R on DVD in the UK will see Unit 2 rip the spear from her, and the legs grow back....(if you own a copy of the NGE vids in the UK, watch ep's 22...then 24...the part with the 5th child floating next to lilith.....NO LEGS!!!!...THEN watch the same bit on D&R DVD ...SHE HAS LEGS.......DO U SEE WHAT I'M GETTING AT?????(it's things like this make me wonder..............) whatever you THINK you know....your not even close......

Back