New Litespeed Computers Webpage Layout?

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Sun, 2005-02-20 @ 05:31 PM

Unprofessional.

[post=130104]Quoted post[/post]​

Ice isn't a high yield distributor or anything like that, most of the services he provides (correct me if I'm wrong) are local repair and such. Having an easy to navigate site that also looks flashy is probably the best thing for him.

Yes, local only. I don't do internet sales.

It just needs to be informative. Plus I don't see whats so unprofessional about it other then its not finished.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey+Mon, 2005-02-21 @ 08:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkankinMonkey @ Mon, 2005-02-21 @ 08:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ice isn't a high yield distributor or anything like that, most of the services he provides (correct me if I'm wrong) are local repair and such. Having an easy to navigate site that also looks flashy is probably the best thing for him.[/b]

If the site's aim is not to look professional, they have achieved their goal.

But seriously, the fonts, the colors, everything is too flashy and overall dark to actually look professional. Not "clean".

This is what a professional site looks like.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Mon, 2005-02-21 @ 08:52 AM

It just needs to be informative. Plus I don't see whats so unprofessional about it other then its not finished.

If you like it, who cares? And you already knew I think it looks unprofessional, I told you some time ago.

<!--QuoteBegin-Pearl Jammzz
@Mon, 2005-02-21 @ 09:46 AM

she is jealous of the flames.....god knows I am, lol. Those are some mean flames, how ya make em?[/quote]

The flames are beautiful, but they just do not fit into what I would consider "professional".

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Sun, 2005-02-20 @ 11:35 PM

But seriously, the fonts, the colors, everything is too flashy and overall dark to actually look professional. Not "clean".

[post=130124]Quoted post[/post]​

I like the fonts and especially the flames. If IceMan is looking for advice on ways to improve (which I don't recall him asking for anyone's opinion) I'd stay away from tiled patterns, and move towards flat colors. Other than that it looks pretty good.

I think it's disgusting that people think something needs to be totally sterile in order to look 'professional'.

Originally posted by it290@Mon, 2005-02-21 @ 03:13 PM

I think it's disgusting that people think something needs to be totally sterile in order to look 'professional'.

Sorry, but that is how things work nowadays. Just check the sites for any major companies.

ummm, what does sterile mean to you all?

Sterile from what I understand means either A: can not bear offspring, B: Clean of all bacteria, or C: lacking imagination, vitality, and/or power to function.

Well I highly doubt you mean the first 2 definitions, so I am guessing you are going with the 3rd defintion. If the websites of large corporations "work" and they have a design that grabs attention... I don't think sterile would be the word of choice here.

If you are trying to say its lifeless... I would disagree personally. Sega.com, msn.com, microsoft.com, aol.com... all websites of large companies seem to have a lot of things going on in there main page with tons of info and some structure to it that makes it some what easy to find your way around.

Google is somewhat sterile, but then ITS A SEARCH ENGINE... its not sterile, its SIMPLE!

Sorry, but that is how things work nowadays. Just check the sites for any major companies.

I would argue that major companies don't set the standard for what is professional and what is not -- I have nothing against clean layouts, but many websites belonging to large companies are navigational nightmares. Besides, the websites of large companies tend to be like their office buildings -- they may be functional, but they are often far from being inspring or optimally efficient. Do you really think it would be effective for Ice's site to be presented in a similar manner to the Playstation site, even though the content is entirely different?

Computers are an incredibly powerful tool for communication, but most corporations seem to want to use them to convey information in a bland and traditional manner. 'Professional' doesn't have to mean 'boring'.

If you are trying to say its lifeless... I would disagree personally. Sega.com, msn.com, microsoft.com, aol.com... all websites of large companies seem to have a lot of things going on in there main page with tons of info and some structure to it that makes it some what easy to find your way around.

The AOL and Sega sites look okay to me, particularly the AOL one. Both of the MS sites seem to fall into the 'lets cram a bunch of links into little boxes' genre, which I don't really care for, but is still fairly effective - probably one of the better ways to present a lot of information in a small space, especially when that information is being collated by humans and computers in tandem. That doesn't mean they're not sterile, however. Their whole purpose is to be generic and non-threatening, so you can't really expect anything else.

AH, generic... thats more like it.

These are corporations, trying to sell there product. May it be only marketing the personality of the company through the internet... this still drives sales off the web (for those companies who aren't 'selling' things). But yeah, there stuff isn't flashy... no cool pictures all about the place, flash animations, java tool bars and funky shit all over the place. Something that took so programmer for ever to code up.

All so that its a pain to update and confusing for people to get around. Marketing has proven that lots of cool graphic things is not effective in the market outlets. As most large corporation have a website to market themselves they would probably like to keep a user friendly atmosphere. I know you all have heard of webpagesthatsuck.com. One of many groups that have tested the marketing of websites. An artsy "cool" graphic website is great for things that the art is related too. Say a bands website, smart move to give it a non generic look. If someone goes to it and can't figure out how to use the website... tough luck, you didn't lose a lot of business. Such as www.nin.com its nice to give it the artsy look... you have highschool kids going there. And there not there to spend money. They know how the web works, computer savy, and they are there for the art. But when your circuit city and your selling products to all age groups... who a good deal of don't know CRAP about computers, you want to make sure they can find there way around. So you go the less abrasive route. A nice generic look that doesn't offend the eyes.

Certainly, and I'm not suggesting those sites should necessarily change their design, but it is possible to be interesting without graphics overkill. And as I stated before, a lot of large sites are a pain to navigate -- this often has to do with search engine technology. For instance, Microsoft's site. It can be rather difficult to find certain things unless you know the exact keyword you're looking for. Gentoo Linux would be another example -- I always have a terrible time finding stuff there (probably more the fault of their forum software, but their other pages aren't particularly well laid out, either).

Anyway, what I was getting at was that there are plenty of sites that are not MS, Sony or Amazon.com, but are just as professionally designed. To me, 'professional' doesn't mean cloning the most common style of the day.

Originally posted by Zero 9@Mon, 2005-02-21 @ 01:48 PM

For a computer technician who drives to your house in a corvette, a website like this is a perfect fit.

[post=130175]Quoted post[/post]​

bahahaha i couldn't agree more

Back