New SSF :D

Originally posted by antime@Jul 15, 2003 @ 12:07 PM

Since it is just as 2D as the Playstation, no. (As I believe I've mentioned here a few times.)

Technically the PS1 is designed for 3D, it just doesn't have a Z-buffer.

If you're in PS1's native 2D mode, the GTE goes idle and becomes completely worthless.

Originally posted by antime@Jul 15, 2003 @ 10:58 PM

I was talking about the graphics chip, which like the Saturn's is 2D-only.

True.

But Saturn can still draw curved quads.
cool.gif
And those won't look right in Direct3D or OpenGL, unless you have one hellishly ancient video card.

Those "curves" are defects in VDP1's edge-detection algorithm (at least that's how the phenomenon is described in the manual).

It looks better than straight convex quad drawing, nonetheless. :p

I wonder if SSF's quad drawing algorithm does the curved effect... gotta give it a try. Too bad the emulator is slow and it takes a good deal of time to get to the open field battle areas, in all SF3 scenarios.

Maybe I can find a save file on the net...

NiGHTS also uses curves. I can't remember which level, but there's one (or maybe more) where when you go near the ground, it bends downward under your character. Very impressive looking effect IMO.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Jul 16, 2003 @ 02:11 PM

NiGHTS also uses curves. I can't remember which level, but there's one (or maybe more) where when you go near the ground, it bends downward under your character.

Suburban Museum had that. A cool effect indeed.

Originally posted by Resident_Lurker+Jul 16, 2003 @ 09:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Resident_Lurker @ Jul 16, 2003 @ 09:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Tagrineth@Jul 16, 2003 @ 02:11 PM

NiGHTS also uses curves. I can't remember which level, but there's one (or maybe more) where when you go near the ground, it bends downward under your character.

Suburban Museum had that. A cool effect indeed. [/b][/quote]

One of the most impressive effects i've ever seen on any console IMO. :agree

Ah, yes, the Soft Museum, damn impressive. Back then my cousing couldn't believe that it was actual real time 3D transformation, and tought it was some soft of screen distortion, like the wavy mode7.

Until I got into the replay, and it was possible to see it in action from another angles.

Surely that wouldn't look as good on a triangle-based system. The "defect" in VDP1's edge detection truly enhances the effect.

Originally posted by M3d10n@Aug 31, 2003 @ 01:49 AM

Too bad the new versions are SSE-only. This makes us poor Duron dudes unable to test it. ;_;

Are you sure ? For me SSF 0.07 R3 used SSE2 and displayed stranges things on my screen because I have a 1900+ XP but the R4 no more use them, that's why there was a new release:) .

Sure? I'll give it a try. R2 and R3 refused to run due "SSE not detected!".

--EDIT--

Yep, no SSF for me. R4 is also SSE-only. Whenever I quit being poor and get a processor upgrade, I'll give it a try.

Back