playstation 2 repair

aquired a junked model 1 ps2 for $30, and it plays audio cd's and ps1 games perfectly. I bought a 1 ps2 game to test it (Ridge Racer V) and it is recocnized as a ps2 game (the playstation 2 logo appears), but when it starts to spin up some more, I hear sounds like a typewriter, then it spins down again (no such noises) for a couple seconds, then spins up again and this process is repeated and I never make it to the title screen. I cleaned the lens already but that didn't help. Could someone please advise me how to fix it?

Another problem, don't know if it's related or not. If I insert a DVD movie it says "DVD player is not set up". Fixing this is not a priority but if you know how, I'd appreciate your advice.

im not sure about the lens part, but the dvd part is this:

when you start up the ps2 with no disk inserted, the "browser/system/memory card" screen come up. Go to system, and go to "dvd" i think. that might help, I'm not sure. anyway, you could always call sony, and shipping/handling is free of charge, actually everything is free, just wait a couple of weeks.

But, when i got my ps2 (used), the dvd player worked fine, so i don't know.

Well, quality isn't something Sony thinks about when they build PS2 systems. Ya have the laser alignment problems, lasers going out, parts just falling off of it for no reason, controller ports going out, random lockups, and even vibration function going out.

I've got two friends that are on their third PS2 system, because of some of the above problems. One of them went out right after the warranty expired. So, a friend called Sony tech support, and they said to send it in and it'd cost so much money. She told the tech support that she planned on just getting an XBOX anyway and wasn't going to pay. So, they told her to hold on, put her on hold for a minute, came back, and then told her to send it in free of charge for repair. LOL

I went through like three brand new PS2 systems myself, having random lockups on each one of them, and I hardly even play/ed mine.

Back