Problem with Mod-Chip

i have a saturn with round buttons so it should be newest model. i did the 0019 bridge and did the A+B sold method with the signal wire in order to avoid soldering to the 14 pin. i connected the power wire to the second pin. i have 5 of them. the problem is that there is no saturn intro and the cd-rom does not react.

what am i doing wrong? any help is welcome :)

Originally posted by Xtractor@Thu, 2005-03-03 @ 03:54 PM

i have a saturn with round buttons so it should be newest model. i did the 0019 bridge and did the A+B sold method with the signal wire in order to avoid soldering to the 14 pin. i connected the power wire to the second pin. i have 5 of them. the problem is that there is no saturn intro and the cd-rom does not react.

what am i doing wrong? any help is welcome :)

[post=130862]Quoted post[/post]​

It can either be two things, either the mod was not properly done, or most likely and this happened to me, the mod chip is not insetered correctly or the ribbion cable itself is not inseterd correctly, baisicly if the ribbion cable is not on there properly it will not spin at all. Try unsoldering the mod chip and place the ribbion cable back in properly. If it spins it is the chip or possibly the ribbion cable being bent to much. Hope this helps.

thanks for your answer. i will check if everything is alright with the ribbon cable. is it also possible that the power wire is not on the right pin. i have a pal model 2 and according to the some pictures, who were posted here, it must be 32 pin too. but i have 5 pins and not 4 like it is shown in most of the pictures. which one is the 5V one? if i look at the mainboard it says "+5V 3A" but next to the third pin in the middle.

btw i did the a+b thing with some wire. maybe my soldering is not the best and i should do the bridge like i did for the 0019 thing?

my board looks like this one
saturn3.jpg
the only difference is that i have 5 power-pins

i give up. i think my modchip was crap or it's dead now after i've tried to install it several times. thank god my dc is running wild

the instructions from racketboy say "plug it into the second pin from the top (back of the unit) even if you see 5 pins instead of 4" and if that does not work then i should try the other one. i guess bad luck for me.

i'm thinking about buying a new one from jandaman. my saturn should be ok even though i used the wrong pin for the modchip right?

Pins on Saturn PSUs:

(Top pin closest to mains connector)

US and Japanese Saturns

5v

5v

0v

0v

Euro Saturn

9v

5v

5v

0v

0v

IIRC that's only the case for 32 model 2 Saturns. 64 pin Saturns have something else, possibly including 3.3v - I can't remember.

hmm so i did not connect it to the wrong one ... i think the chip was dead when it arrived, because the chip looked like it was already been used and the blue and red wire were missing but i cannot know for sure

gonna try the modchip from jandaman out and ask a friend for soldering tips

Originally posted by racketboy@Sat, 2005-03-05 @ 02:39 PM

so is there something I need to change on my instructions?

[post=130945]Quoted post[/post]​

according to mal nothing is wrong with your instructions.

btw one last question: when i buy a new modchip, it's alike if i use the second or third pin, right? and what about the 0019 bridge? was that correct?

i just don't want to waste any money again

Did you buy one from me? I don't recognize your user name.

If you did, I can get you another one at a heavy discount.

Originally posted by racketboy@Sun, 2005-03-06 @ 12:18 AM

Did you buy one from me? I don't recognize your user name.

If you did, I can get you another one at a heavy discount.

[post=130967]Quoted post[/post]​

nope, it got it somewhere else. i just used your site to figure out how to install it

Back