Pseudo Saturn Kai official thread

GO TO ADMIN PANEL > ADD-ONS AND INSTALL VERTIFORO SIDEBAR TO SEE FORUMS AND SIDEBAR

Ponut

Well, that's good news if it still works.
The only thing left to account for is the laser in the systems themselves.

3rdman

So I tried a couple of more burnt discs and still the same. Magic Knight Rayearth won't boot past the opening FMV but at least now I am certain its the PS and not my laser because it won't play in my modded Saturn if I use the PS on it as well! On my modded Saturn, even if I exit out to the main menu and try to load the game, it won't load if the PS is installed.

I thought perhaps its the onboard memory so I formatted it but it still behaves the same.

The cart somehow interferes with the load of certain games...for me this list would include Magic Knight Rayearth, discs 2 and 3 of Policenauts, Die Hard Trilogy, and Xmen Children of the Atom. EVERYTHING else works without issue...weird. Conversely the same backups work if the PS is NOT in place (in my modded Saturn).

privateye

I've tested a burned copy of Magic Knight Rayearth with Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite v6.314 and it works just fine as indicated in the compatibility list; I was able to play a bit of the game after watching the opening FMV. The fact that this game is working on your modded Saturn makes me think that something is wrong with your cart. Perhaps a portion of your cart's flash ROM is corrupt, because this can result in strange behaviour like you're experiencing:

Thankfully, this is easy to test; when Pseudo Saturn Kai boots up, press B to go into the main menu and then select the Self Test option. From here you can select how many times you want the test to run. Run it a few times and if you see any errors then you should re-flash your cart.

3rdman

Well...I ran 100 tests and had 0 errors.

Thus far, its only been 5 or 6 disks that display this issue and to be clear, the issue ONLY appears with these disks.

Tappy79

I wanted to jump in here as I have the same issue as what 3rd man writes about with a select few titles, using the red 4-in-1 cartridge (flashed with the latest software 6.314).

Games not working:
- Magic Knight Rayearth (boots, but freezes after the FMV intro, no menu screen). This for both the original as well as a back-up copy.
- Dragon Force I and II (no boot at Kai launcher screen)
- Policenauts disc 2 and 3 (no boot), disc 1 works fine. This for both the JPN original as well as a patched back-up copy.
- Torico original PAL version (Lunacy in US) (no boot)

It also does weird things in 1/4 MEG RAM mode, such as a forced reset every time after the 2nd or 3rd fight in Waku Waku 7.

As far as I can see, all the other titles I have seem to work fine. Self test (500 x) shows no errors... the titles above also work fine on an emulator (yabause) and they boot without the red cartridge in the Saturn slot. I also don't think it is my Saturn laser (boots other FMV heavy games such as Road Avenger or Tiger Heli just fine without any stutter/delay).

What can I do? Is the cart corrupted? Should I try to reflash it? Anyone else having the same experiences?

Thanks for advice!

3rdman

I wanted to jump in here as I have the same issue as what 3rd man writes about with a select few titles, using the red 4-in-1 cartridge (flashed with the latest software 6.314).

Games not working:
- Magic Knight Rayearth (boots, but freezes after the FMV intro, no menu screen). This for both the original as well as a back-up copy.
- Dragon Force I and II (no boot at Kai launcher screen)
- Policenauts disc 2 and 3 (no boot), disc 1 works fine. This for both the JPN original as well as a patched back-up copy.
- Torico original PAL version (Lunacy in US) (no boot)

It also does weird things in 1/4 MEG RAM mode, such as a forced reset every time after the 2nd or 3rd fight in Waku Waku 7.

As far as I can see, all the other titles I have seem to work fine. Self test (500 x) shows no errors... the titles above also work fine on an emulator (yabause) and they boot without the red cartridge in the Saturn slot. I also don't think it is my Saturn laser (boots other FMV heavy games such as Road Avenger or Tiger Heli just fine without any stutter/delay).

What can I do? Is the cart corrupted? Should I try to reflash it? Anyone else having the same experiences?

Thanks for advice!
Personally, I've come to the conclusion that our red carts have gone through a hardware change and there is a minor incompatibility to existing software...of course I am also talking out of my butt so I am probably wrong. :p