Pseudo Saturn Kai official thread

Simple post just to inform that i just flashed my ARP with RC2
And I confirm that Assault Suit Leynos 2 is working perfectly with both loaders!
I will now test all my games and post the results later!

Can anyone list the "Problematic games?" i bought a pack of CD-Rs, and i'll burn the ones I don't have

I will Flash my ARP when I get home from work :D

In advance, thank you :)

I want to point out that due to the size of the cartridge flasher iso, the swap trick for it has a smaller timing window to make it work, i was used on doing the swap trick to make it work everytime, yet, it took me a few failed tries to boot the flasher via swap trick.

What should I do in order to improve swap trick ?
Larger iso ? Smaller iso ? Larger main executable (0.000 file in RC2 iso) ?
To tell the truth, I'm not at ease with swap trick, because my dev Saturn is modchipped.

too late for a label submission?

You're on time, and future contributions are welcome :)
I added your label on my homepage (here). Please let me know if everything is OK, especially about your nick and URL for credits.

I always check on region patcher first before burning a game, if i open the iso, and it shows de dialog to open a file again(which happens if you have a broken ISO), I look for the ISO in some other source.

+1 :)
It remembers that I lost a couple of days of firmware beta testing because of corrupted Burning Rangers file on *paradize site ^^;

It'a US Saturn, model 2 (round button). I tryed to install Pseudo Saturn 0.832 (with logo version) but I dont see the Pseudo Saturn logo when I boot. Yes the CD drive spin in a weird way then the bios menu appear with a message about format verification. Then,after a while, the CD music tracks appear and I can ear the music if I press play.

It seems that your cartridge doesn't boots correctly.
If it was correctly flashed, incorrect boot is probably due to cartridge wrongly inserted.
Here are simple steps to maybe make it booting :
1. Open CD door. Keep it open so that Saturn won't try to boot your CD.
2. Power off Saturn
3. Insert your cartridge and slightly move it in its connector.
4. Power on Saturn
If you can see Pseudo Saturn logo or menu, congratulations, you can now use Pseudo Saturn :)
Else, please re-try from step 2.

Simple post just to inform that i just flashed my ARP with RC2
And I confirm that Assault Suit Leynos 2 is working perfectly with both loaders!
I will now test all my games and post the results later!

Great !

So I can finally and officially declare Pseudo Saturn Kai and Gamer's Cartridge release :]
(I will update my homepage today or more probably next week)

Before updating my homepage, here is "SegaXtreme official smiley (c)" to celebrate this day : :banana:

edit : added download link to Pseudo Saturn Kai page. Archive contains flasher, save data, sources, and everything else.

Can anyone list the "Problematic games?" i bought a pack of CD-Rs, and i'll burn the ones I don't have

Some (not all) are listed here.
Second half of the page list relatively old test results, so maybe some games listed as incompatible boot fine now.

Last edited:

I'm glad to help :D

To tell the truth, I'm not at ease with swap trick, because my dev Saturn is modchipped.

I believe if you put a dummy file in the ISO to make it bigger would help to make it easier to boot, I think that making the main executable larger makes sense too, because it will take more time to move the laser to look for the security ring, since the laser will take more time to read the main executable, I will need check this by trying to boot a small comercial game with the swap trick like "Guardian Force" or "Cotton 2/Boomerang" which has no more than 50MB burned on the disk. I will try later today when I'm home.

I added your label on my homepage (here). Please let me know if everything is OK, especially about your nick and URL for credits.
Wow! I feel honored to be credited in your website =D thank you for posting my label! my nick and URL are correct :)

It remembers that I lost a couple of days of firmware beta testing because of corrupted Burning Rangers file on *paradize site ^^;

hahaha I almost burned the same faulty iso, but got the Darkwater realease on another source :p

Great !

So I can finally and officially declare Pseudo Saturn Kai and Gamer's Cartridge release :]
Before updating my homepage, here is "SegaXtreme official smiley (c)" to celebrate this day : :banana:

edit : added download link to Pseudo Saturn Kai page. Archive contains flasher, save data, sources, and everything else.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

PERFECT *o*

Second half of the page list relatively old test results, so maybe some games listed as incompatible boot fine now.

Time to burn some games!!! hahaha
Sadly Alien Trilogy is still unplayable, this game might need someone to make a patch on the ISO itself?

I made a Google Spreadsheet for the games I tested (Link) will try more games today, each game played for 5-10 minutes with each loader, or 1-Credit on shmups. If a game has a US release, Its the one I used! All games burned on 8x~10x
My saturn is a Model 2, Manufactured in Brazil by Tectoy. it runs just like an NTSC-US one.

Last edited:

It seems that your cartridge doesn't boots correctly.
If it was correctly flashed, incorrect boot is probably due to cartridge wrongly inserted.
Here are simple steps to maybe make it booting :
1. Open CD door. Keep it open so that Saturn won't try to boot your CD.
2. Power off Saturn
3. Insert your cartridge and slightly move it in its connector.
4. Power on Saturn
If you can see Pseudo Saturn logo or menu, congratulations, you can now use Pseudo Saturn :)
Else, please re-try from step 2.

Great !

Woot woot! I'm glad @Thales Peres was able to help confirm whether or not Assault Suit Leynos 2 works :p. I didn't get a chance to finish reburning it. Had to make a new cue sheet and apparently sega cue maker doesn't work on windows 10 no matter how hard you try XD. Think I found another way to do it without that software but it was taking too long and I had to leave so didn't have a chance to finish it.

Had to make a new cue sheet and apparently sega cue maker doesn't work on windows 10 no matter how hard you try XD. Think I found another way to do it without that software but it was taking too long and I had to leave so didn't have a chance to finish it.

Sega Cue Maker seems to work fine on my Windows 10 machine with the attached installer version.

Thank you cafe-alpha for your advancements to PseudoSaturn, it's nice to see fresh Saturn software in the works. :D

Attachments

• 10957-scm.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 421
Hi guys, after adjusting the potentiometer wth a multimeter, I was able to load the flasher with the swap trick. However, when trying to install pseudo saturn there was an error during the erase process. I suppose that mean my AR is briqued. Is there something I could try or should I just put it in the garbage and order another one?

I have to say that even with slightly moving the AR in the slot the vendor Id was to Unknown swithching from green to yellow. After the failed install, now the vendor Is stay in yellow Unknown. Does it means this brand of AR what not a good one?

Last edited:
Sega Cue Maker seems to work fine on my Windows 10 machine with the attached installer version.

Thank you cafe-alpha for your advancements to PseudoSaturn, it's nice to see fresh Saturn software in the works. :D

Thanks, I'll give that a shot when I get a chance!

Hi guys, after adjusting the potentiometer wth a multimeter, I was able to load the flasher with the swap trick. However, when trying to install pseudo saturn there was an error during the erase process. I suppose that mean my AR is briqued. Is there something I could try or should I just put it in the garbage and order another one?

I have to say that even with slightly moving the AR in the slot the vendor Id was to Unknown swithching from green to yellow. After the failed install, now the vendor Is stay in yellow Unknown. Does it means this brand of AR what not a good one?

It might just be bricked keep trying to reflash it though by wiggling the cart around before ordering a new one. I'd hate to have you spend around $30 for a new one and you're current one is fine :p

I believe if you put a dummy file in the ISO to make it bigger would help to make it easier to boot, I think that making the main executable larger makes sense too, because it will take more time to move the laser to look for the security ring, since the laser will take more time to read the main executable, I will need check this by trying to boot a small comercial game with the swap trick like "Guardian Force" or "Cotton 2/Boomerang" which has no more than 50MB burned on the disk. I will try later today when I'm home.

Please let me know if you have recommendations about which original game to use in order to perform swap trick, so that I can update Pseudo Saturn Kai FAQ.

Wow! I feel honored to be credited in your website =D thank you for posting my label! my nick and URL are correct :)

No problem, and thank you for the label :)
The three ones without credits were made by me with MS Word ... that's great people with better design skills than me could help in making better labels :D

Sadly Alien Trilogy is still unplayable, this game might need someone to make a patch on the ISO itself?

IIRC, Alien Trilogy does CDROM authentication after booting, hence game patching is required.
I will see what I can do with it, but prefer to focus on features concerning several games (such as cheat codes) first.

I made a Google Spreadsheet for the games I tested (Link) will try more games today, each game played for 5-10 minutes with each loader, or 1-Credit on shmups. If a game has a US release, Its the one I used! All games burned on 8x~10x
My saturn is a Model 2, Manufactured in Brazil by Tectoy. it runs just like an NTSC-US one.

Thank you for the list !! :]
I prefer to batch-update rather than updating little by little, so please let me know when you will finish to update it, and I will merge it to the compatibility list on my homepage.
Can I link your youtube videos and host images from my homepage ?

You don't need to test with both loaders ^^
If it works with CWX one, trying with JHL one is unnecessary.

Edit : I suppose that Rayman is a bad dump (from *paradize site ?). Header is corrupted in the same way as I experienced with Burning Rangers.

Thank you :)

As @SegaSaturnShrine said, you should first give other tries with your cartridge : some carts don't boot easily, and are even harder to flash.
Also, if you have another cartridge (even memory cartridge), you should verify if your Saturn recognize it correctly or not, in order to avoid purchasing a second cart while the problem came from your Saturn.

Last edited:
After many tries, I always got the unknown flash chips warning before launching the process and the erase verification failure after.

By chance the problem is not with the saturn because writing and reading ona memory card work well.

Where do you buy your AR card please?

Please let me know if you have recommendations about which original game to use in order to perform swap trick, so that I can update Pseudo Saturn Kai FAQ.

Actually the original game for the swap doesn't really matter, because you put it there only to fool the saturn's security. to do a sucessful swap, you need to change disk after its initial read, the laser will move to the end of the burned data, and thats the cue to change the CD-R to the original game, if the CD-R doesn't have much data burned in it, it will move and start looking for the security ring too soon, if the data burned in there is bigger, the laser will take longer to move to the end of the burned session, giving you more time to do this first swap, if it moves just a little (like Cotton 2, and the flasher ISO) you need to be quicker on the first swap

I made a video to show you more or less what i mean: (please turn anotation on)

After a few tries, you get the hang of swapping, but if you did the mod just to flash your Action Replay, it would be easier if the iso was bigger, so simply inserting a dummy file on the flasher ISO so it at least take half of the disk or more, should be enough for beginners to swap more easily :)
Here is a sucessful swap:

No problem, and thank you for the label :)
The three ones without credits were made by me with MS Word ... that's great people with better design skills than me could help in making better labels :D

I'll be happy to try some different designs if i have the time :D
I'm getting the hang of using photoshop because I am "remastering" some low resolution covers and cartidge labels for my games on my free time :p

IIRC, Alien Trilogy does CDROM authentication after booting, hence game patching is required.
I will see what I can do with it, but prefer to focus on features concerning several games (such as cheat codes) first.

I see, this is in fact, more important! It would be awesome to have these features AND the functionalities of Pseudo Saturn Loaders :3
In time, I'm sure you'll be able to nail down all these compatibility issues with these games ;)

Thank you for the list !! :]
I prefer to batch-update rather than updating little by little, so please let me know when you will finish to update it, and I will merge it to the compatibility list on my homepage.
Can I link your youtube videos and host images from my homepage ?

You don't need to test with both loaders ^^
If it works with CWX one, trying with JHL one is unnecessary.

Okay! As soon as I finish trying all my games I'll let you know ^^
I thought both were necessary :p with one loader will be faster hehehe
so, when it's playable on CWX, i will assume that it is with JHL too

and sure! feel free to link any stuff of mine on your site ^^ :cat:

Edit : I suppose that Rayman is a bad dump (from *paradize site ?). Header is corrupted in the same way as I experienced with Burning Rangers.
Thank you :)

it might be.... I'm pretty sure that I've got the iso on that site.... I supose we can't trust *paradize that much :glare:

You're Welcome! I Love SEGA of the '90s <3 keep up the good work! *o*

Last edited:
I'm noticing some strange behavior on the Save Data Manager app:
On the list it shows a File, but the description displays a different file, this happens both on "Delete" and "Hex-edit"

on hex-edit, when I open the file, its the one mencioned on the details (Loading the powerslave on my list will show my virtua cop 2 highscore names):

Don't know if this helps, but I noticed that the order of the list is the same as shown in the memory manager screen (last game is virtua cop 2):

Actually the original game for the swap doesn't really matter, because you put it there only to fool the saturn's security. to do a sucessful swap, you need to change disk after its initial read, the laser will move to the end of the burned data, and thats the cue to change the CD-R to the original game, if the CD-R doesn't have much data burned in it, it will move and start looking for the security ring too soon, if the data burned in there is bigger, the laser will take longer to move to the end of the burned session, giving you more time to do this first swap, if it moves just a little (like Cotton 2, and the flasher ISO) you need to be quicker on the first swap

I think you are right about this, but there is a swap trick technic that wont matter with the size of the flasher iso. You have to put an original disc and wait until it boot to the blue sega logo on black background (just before the game starts), then you press reset and you swap to the backup when the Sega Saturn logo appear. So there is no need to perform two swaps, only one is needed. There are videos on youtube that shows that technic.

By the way, your videos are really nice!

Last edited:
I think you are right about this, but there is a swap trick technic that wont matter with the size of the flasher iso. You have to put an original disc and wait until it boot to the blue sega logo on black background (just before the game starts), then you press reset and you swap to the backup when the Sega Saturn logo appear. So there is no need to perform two swaps, only one is needed. There are videos on youtube that shows that technic.

By the way, your videos are really nice!

WOW! i tried like this.... and it works! oh boy! I feel i've been doing all wrong :eek:
so there's no real need to dummy the ISO :flute:

Thank you :) it's been a while since I posted something there though.... might come up with something cool anytime soon xD

Where do you buy your AR card please?

I didn't bought ARP for around 8 years, so I don't know the better place to buy one ^^;

Okay! As soon as I finish trying all my games I'll let you know ^^
I thought both were necessary :p with one loader will be faster hehehe
so, when it's playable on CWX, i will assume that it is with JHL too

Please indicate which loader worked, and mark untested loader as "untested".
CWX loader should work for a majority of games, and for the other ones, JHL loader may help. But, JHL loader doesn't works at all on some Saturns (example : my grey Japanese one), that's why I put CWX loader as default one in selection menu.

You're Welcome! I Love SEGA of the '90s <3 keep up the good work! *o*

I love too ;)
Good remembers from middle school times :]

I'm noticing some strange behavior on the Save Data Manager app:
On the list it shows a File, but the description displays a different file, this happens both on "Delete" and "Hex-edit"

on hex-edit, when I open the file, its the one mencioned on the details (Loading the powerslave on my list will show my virtua cop 2 highscore names):

Don't know if this helps, but I noticed that the order of the list is the same as shown in the memory manager screen (last game is virtua cop 2):

This was a bug on Save Data Manager.
Was.
Fixed, thank you for pointing it, and thank you for the bug details :)
Problem went from the fact that save description is stored in a buffer separate from save data headers, and that I was setting up description strings before ASCII-sorting the save headers.
I will update the firmware on my homepage next week or so ... maybe (probably) there are other bugs, so I would like to gather bugfixes for next release.
Please let me know if you want to test this current version.

WOW! i tried like this.... and it works! oh boy! I feel i've been doing all wrong :eek:
so there's no real need to dummy the ISO :flute:

Great !
BTW, do you confirm flasher iso size doesn't change anything ? Next major release will be considerably larger than current one, so I would like to know before releasing it.

Thank you :) it's been a while since I posted something there though.... might come up with something cool anytime soon xD

Same for me ! Making videos is time consuming ...
And I prefer to write C rather than taking videos :D

Hi all!

I'd like just to report and share a link to a PseudoSaturn v0.831/v0.832/Kai compatibility list my friends from the retro videogame section of the Spanish community ElOtroLado.net and me have created:

http://www.elotrolado.net/wiki/Lista_Compatiblidad_Action_Replay_y_Pseudo_V.8.31_y_V.8.32

It's in Spanish, though. But it's quite intuitive: 1st column - Game title; 2nd column - Game region; 3rd column - Console region; 4th column - Working status ('Sí'=Working, 'No'=Not working); 5th column - Comments (generally related to games which are only compatible when patched with PseudoSaturn Patch Utility, as you can guess when reading 'PseudoSaturn Patch Utility').
You can see the experimental settings that were used, as well as two compatibility lists, one for v0.831 and the other one being for v0.832. I have myself personally tested all the games of this latter list, which includes half the Saturn catalogue, playing them a little bit on my Model 2A Japanese Sega Saturn console.

As for the PseudoSaturn Kai part, I have tested all the games with PseudoSaturn Kai v6.036 Beta, and have included my results in the wiki. To sum up, all v0.832-compatible games also works on Kai, which in addition solves some total incompatibility cases previously reported for v0.832:

- Bubble Bobble also featuring Rainbow Islands [NTSC-U]
- SteamGear Mash [NTSC-J]
- The Horde [NTSC-U]
- Whizz [PAL] / [NTSC-J]

The rest remains the same as for v0.832, only-working-upon-patching cases included, with one exception which doesn't need to be patched with Kai: Virtual Casino [NTSC-U].

I have also e-mailed Cafe-Alpha reporting all this. I hope you all find this info useful, interesting and accesible!

Cheers!

Below are listed the possible cases of new game compatibility between PseudoSaturn v0.832 vs PseudoSaturn Kai v6.036 Beta:

* v0.832-incompatible (even patched) but Kai-compatible (without patching):

- The Horde [NTSC-U]
- Whizz [PAL] / [NTSC-J]

* v0.832-compatible only patched but Kai-compatible without patching:

- Virtual Casino [NTSC-U]

* v0.832/Kai-compatible only patched:

- 3D Lemmings [NTSC-J]
- Alien Trilogy [NTSC-U] (Not tested without patching.)
- Assault Rigs [NTSC-J]
- Batman Forever: The Arcade Game [NTSC-U]
- Blam! MachineHead [PAL][EN]
- Center Ring Boxing [NTSC-U]
- Destruction Derby [NTSC-J] (Not tested without patching.)
- Discworld [PAL]
- Discworld II [PAL]
- DJ Wars [NTSC-J]
- FIFA Rumbo al Mundial 98 [PAL][SPA]
- Krazy Ivan [PAL]
- MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat [NTSC-U]
- Mortal Kombat II [NTSC-U]
- NBA Jam Extreme [NTSC-U]
- NBA Jam Tournament Edition [NTSC-U]
- NBA Live 98 [NTSC-U]
- Panzer Dragoon [NTSC-U] (Not tested without patching.)
- Panzer Dragoon II Zwei [NTSC-U] (Not tested without patching.)
- Panzer Dragoon Saga [NTSC-U] (Not tested without patching.)
- Scud: The Disposable Assassin [NTSC-U]
- Skeleton Warriors [NTSC-U]
- WarCraft II: The Dark Saga [PAL][M5]
- WipeOut [NTSC-U] (Not tested without patching.)

* v0.832/Kai-partially compatible (even patched):

- Croc - Legend of the Gobbos [NTSC-U] (Graphic glitches even with the original disc, unless it is loaded manually from the system start-up menu.)

Last edited:
I didn't bought ARP for around 8 years, so I don't know the better place to buy one ^^;

No problem, Play-asia.com aggreed to replace my bricked AR by a new one! We will see if the next AR they will send me will works better.

Sceptre_JLRB said:
Comments (generally related to games which are only compatible when patched with PseudoSaturn Patch Utility, as you can guess when reading 'PseudoSaturn Patch Utility').

What is that utility? When is it needed? Where can we get it? Thansk!

Thank yo for the list, @Sceptre_JLRB :)

To sum up, all v0.832-compatible games also works on Kai, which in addition solves some total incompatibility cases previously reported for v0.832:

- The Horde [NTSC-U]
- Whizz [PAL] / [NTSC-J]

Except Croc, do you have a list of other games that don't boot even after patching ? (in order to see what needs to be improved in the loader)

Except Croc, do you have a list of other games that don't boot even after patching ? (in order to see what needs to be improved in the loader)

Hi cafe-alpha! Nice to read you here!
So far, I haven't found any other game that doesn't boot even after patching, the Kai version fixed the aforementioned four cases I detected with v0.832. In case a new one shows up, I'll let you know, of course!

This easy-to-use utility patches a game image that does not work with PseudoSaturn (i.e., it freezes when trying to load), rendering it compatible. It is quite effective, it worked to me in 100% cases so far (the only not-working-even-patching cases are now solved with Kai). You can get it from:
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads...atch-utility-sega-saturn-image-patching-tool/

wow! I wasn't aware of this, I thought that each game needed a different, separate patch for it to work, will try doing this and re-burn Alien Trilogy and Assault Rigs...

Please indicate which loader worked, and mark untested loader as "untested".
CWX loader should work for a majority of games, and for the other ones, JHL loader may help. But, JHL loader doesn't works at all on some Saturns (example : my grey Japanese one), that's why I put CWX loader as default one in selection menu.

Oh I see... i didn't knew that some saturns didn't work with JHL.
Okay! I will mark them as untested!

I love too ;)
Good remembers from middle school times :]
My first console ever was the MegaDrive... so Sega has a special place in my heart, but I love Nintendo and Sony too hehehe :)

This was a bug on Save Data Manager.
Was.
Fixed, thank you for pointing it, and thank you for the bug details :)
Problem went from the fact that save description is stored in a buffer separate from save data headers, and that I was setting up description strings before ASCII-sorting the save headers.
I will update the firmware on my homepage next week or so ... maybe (probably) there are other bugs, so I would like to gather bugfixes for next release.
NICE!!! Glad that you were able to figure it out quickly :D
Another thing I just noticed looking at my own images again, was the year on the date field in description:

it shows 2157 :bored:

Please let me know if you want to test this current version.

I would like to test it too, if you send me via PM I will re-flash m ARP as soon as I can! Do I need to test again the games I have already tried?

Great !
BTW, do you confirm flasher iso size doesn't change anything ? Next major release will be considerably larger than current one, so I would like to know before releasing it.
I confirm! the size of the iso doesn't matter with this method mentioned by @HazukiRyo I you want, I can make a more elaborate video tutorial on this, and you could link somewhere on the site to help swap trick users ^^

Same for me ! Making videos is time consuming ...
And I prefer to write C rather than taking videos :D

Yeah.... it's been a long time that I can't find time to learn a new song to play on my Keyboard '-'
someday I plan on learning C and Java... but as of now I can fulfill my workplace needs with VB (Visual Basic) :S

I messed a little with some hex editors, and I just discovered that my Rayman ISO is indeed bad! I made a bin/cue rip of my burned disk and Its missing the saturn header:

Tryed playing this burned disk via swap trick and it din't work! it just goes to multi plaer screen

Comparing that with a Good ISO:

the good news is that I figured how to fix any BAD ISO from *paradize site!
I've been trying to fix because every iso from that crappy game "Planet Joker" that i find is broken... but I need this game if I want to have a Complete Shmup set for the Saturn :p

Check how I did below!
Download HxD from here:
https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

Make sure both of your bad and good iso is in bin/cue format, if not, mount iso+wav or whatever format with daemon tools, and create the bin/cue image with imgburn.

Open any good iso with the Hex Editor, select all the text from offset 10 to 50 and copy it

Open any bad iso that you want to fix, again, select all the text from offset 10 to 50 and paste it!

You can edit something like the serial number...It would be nice to put the real serial number there for the sake of authenticity, but I don't think you really need that...

Then save the file, open it on Saturn Region Patcher, it should Detect it as a Saturn Game properly!! and from there you can patch the region to fit your needs :D
A Region patch might be necessary due to Error correction on disk images.... don't really know if bin/cue format has ECC...

Burn your image and Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Back