Pseudo Saturn Kai official thread

Would it be possible to install Pseudo Saturn Kai from Satiator? I deleted my cartridge and now it only works as RAM expansion :sad:

Would it be possible to install Pseudo Saturn Kai from Satiator? I deleted my cartridge and now it only works as RAM expansion :sad:
I don't own a Satiator so I haven't tried installing Pseudo Saturn Kai from there, but it should be possible if you follow these steps:
  1. Download Pseudo Saturn Kai: PPCenter :: Pseudo Saturn Kai
  2. Extract the archive using 7-zip or your preferred file archiver.
  3. Transfer this file to your Satiator's SD card: lite -> pskai_flasher_lite.iso.
  4. Launch the iso to install Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite to your cartridge.

I don't own a Satiator so I haven't tried installing Pseudo Saturn Kai from there, but it should be possible if you follow these steps:
  1. Download Pseudo Saturn Kai: PPCenter :: Pseudo Saturn Kai
  2. Extract the archive using 7-zip or your preferred file archiver.
  3. Transfer this file to your Satiator's SD card: lite -> pskai_flasher_lite.iso.
  4. Launch the iso to install Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite to your cartridge.
It worked! Thanks

error.jpg
I have a pal saturn, a Fenrir 21pin and an action replay 4in1 flashed with latest pseudo kai.

When i try to boot some games with the pseudo kai plugged in (and the pseudo.fenrir.iso in the root of sd) like Tomb Raider USA and Virtua Fighter 2 USA (both redumps) i get the error on the screen. i tried pressing "Z" to boot with JHL, but i get still this error.

When though i unplug the pseudo cartridge and pseudo kai boots from the root pseudo .iso of sd, i get the old menu with CWX, Automatic and JHL and from there with JHL the games boot fine. Also from the Fenrir loader both games boot fine.

Is this a known issue?

Ced asked about your problem, and I replied that this kind of problem is usually fixed by (re-)formatting Fenrir SD card with cluster size set to 128KB. Also, usage of Rufus utility is recommended to do format operation.

However, I forgot to ask an important question about this problem : does it happens only with Pseudo Saturn Kai or with both Pseudo Saturn Kai and Fenrir official loader ? And you answered to this question in your post, thank you :)
So, from the fact that game loading works when booting from fenrir.kai.iso but not when booting from cartridge, this is a problem on Pseudo Saturn Kai side. Please allow me some time to investigate about it.

BTW, does this problem happens with all the games tested so far, or only with Tomb Raider USA and Virtua Fighter 2 ?

Are you volunteer to do beta testing when a candidate fix will be ready ? If yes, please keep your Fenrir SD card as-is (without formatting or adding other games on it) so that testing can be done in conditions as close as possible as initial ones.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer, I will try also with another sd card but I don't think it will be any different. I think I have formated mine with Rufus, but im not sure 100%.

I will have access to my saturn for the next 10 days. Let me know if you have a test build.

I got same error with other games too. But I for sure had several tests with both of those.

Something I figure out today. With at least these 2 games when getting the error if I press reset on saturn, I go to multiplayer and from there I can start the games.

With fenrir loader everything works fine with the same SD.

To clarify something, actually the problem is the opposite, those games seem to boot fine from fenrir.kai.iso but not when cartridge is inserted

i did another test with different sd card, NO fenrir.kai.iso in SD root. Pseudo Cartridge inserted. Same Virtua Fighter 2 boots fine.
Same Tomb Raider now gives this error (pressing to boot either A or Z):
error.jpg

Anyone know if there is a way to boot straight into the Fenrir loader once Pseudo Kai is installed? The font is much cleaner (and now has screenshots) on the Fenrir stock loader.

Anyone know if there is a way to boot straight into the Fenrir loader once Pseudo Kai is installed? The font is much cleaner (and now has screenshots) on the Fenrir stock loader.

AFAIK, the only solution for that is to uninstall Pseudo Saturn Kai :) Especially, as fenrir.kai.iso overrides official loader it's not possible to boot it in that case.

AFAIK, the only solution for that is to uninstall Pseudo Saturn Kai :) Especially, as fenrir.kai.iso overrides official loader it's not possible to boot it in that case.
You can still boot the official loader by using the "Start Loader Utility" feature* in the ODE Settings menu. However, that's not an automatic solution so @raycommend should uninstall Pseudo Saturn Kai as you suggested.

* Until the official loader executable in fenrir.kai.iso is updated to the latest 2021/07/02 version, using this feature while fenrir.kai.iso is installed will boot an old version of the loader.

Thanks. I figured that. Is there a tutorial anywhere to uninstall Kai? I'll also add the suggestion (in case the dev reads these) to add an option to choose what to automatically boot into.

Scud: The Disposable Assassin :freak2:

Any way of knowing if support will be added with future releases of PSK?

I tried both v6.314 and then v6.437, with an un-patched repro, a patched repro, and also an original disc.

Thank you all so much for all the great efforts you've been putting in to make our world a better one :boldyellow:

Scud: The Disposable Assassin :freak2:

Any way of knowing if support will be added with future releases of PSK?

I tried both v6.314 and then v6.437, with an un-patched repro, a patched repro, and also an original disc.
I have verified that original and patched copies of this game are compatible with Pseudo Saturn Kai v6.437. If you're using one of the all-in-one carts that are popular these days, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the source of your problems. As noted here, these suffer from major compatibility issues when used with certain Saturn hardware revisions: PPCenter :: Pseudo Saturn Kai Compatibility List

Thankfully, they're quite easy to fix by following this guide: PPCenter :: Pseudo Saturn Kai Compatibility List

Last edited:
I just got my Fenrir and updated my action replay cart to the latest PSK release. Everything was working fine.

I then re-flashed the cart back to the AR firmware and put fenrir.kai.iso in the root of my SD card.

PSKai auto loads as it should and I see a list of games and can use the save manager. When I go to launch a game, I get the SEGA screen as if it loaded, a blue flash and then it goes back to the PSKai games list. It does this for every game. When I remove fenrir.kai.iso all games load fine from the Fenrir loader.

I am using the latest Fenrir firmware (211ec4aa). Is this an incompatibility with the latest firmware?

Happy to test any potential fixes or provide any more information that's needed.

I just got my Fenrir and updated my action replay cart to the latest PSK release. Everything was working fine.

I then re-flashed the cart back to the AR firmware and put fenrir.kai.iso in the root of my SD card.

PSKai auto loads as it should and I see a list of games and can use the save manager. When I go to launch a game, I get the SEGA screen as if it loaded, a blue flash and then it goes back to the PSKai games list. It does this for every game. When I remove fenrir.kai.iso all games load fine from the Fenrir loader.

I am using the latest Fenrir firmware (211ec4aa). Is this an incompatibility with the latest firmware?
Yes, this is an incompatibility with the latest firmware. If you want to continue using Pseudo Saturn Kai with Fenrir, please downgrade to the previous Fenrir firmware for the time being. With any luck, this will just require a quick fix and won't cause @cafe-alpha too many headaches.

Hi, I recently got a Saturn and have been using PSK Lite v6.437 to play Redump set games on CD-R. Firstly, big thank you to those involved. I never had the chance to play Saturn back in the day, I'm long overdue.

There's just one game behaving strangely, wondering if anyone has a guess what might be the cause:
Slam 'N Jam '96 has a weird sprite glitch during gameplay, once drawn they remain on screen. [Photo] [Video]

I've tried burning a couple times, tried patching it, and tried booting with both 1MB/4MB switches on my PSK cart... same results.

I can live without the game, I'm just curious what's up. Any ideas?

Hi, I recently got a Saturn and have been using PSK Lite v6.437 to play Redump set games on CD-R. Firstly, big thank you to those involved. I never had the chance to play Saturn back in the day, I'm long overdue.

There's just one game behaving strangely, wondering if anyone has a guess what might be the cause:
Slam 'N Jam '96 has a weird sprite glitch during gameplay, once drawn they remain on screen. [Photo] [Video]
This isn't a Pseudo Saturn Kai issue; instead, this sprite glitching is the result of a conflict between your cartridge and the game. This type of conflict is uncommon but not unheard of (e.g. Die Hard Trilogy refuses to work with certain cartridges, regardless of what firmware is installed on the cart).

This isn't a Pseudo Saturn Kai issue; instead, this sprite glitching is the result of a conflict between your cartridge and the game. This type of conflict is uncommon but not unheard of (e.g. Die Hard Trilogy refuses to work with certain cartridges, regardless of what firmware is installed on the cart).
Thanks for the info.

Any idea if I could just yank out the cart as soon as the game boots? Or would that not fix the issue / risk damaging something?

Back