PSX release! / Level X Expo Open!

I think I heard $499 also.

Nice pictures from the Level X expo.

I liked seeing the Famicom, the keyboard, the tape player, and all of those other peripherals encased in glass, on display like a Nintendo video game history museum.

Nice shot of Mother under glass. I keep wishing they would release Mother1+2 over here, but I don't know if that's going to happen.

whaa! $500? What a rip! Ok, does more and costs less than a 3DO, but still, that's unbelievable. You could put together a hella decent media PC that's actually customizable for that price, not to mention one that's smaller and looks nicer.

Well, it is a PS2, DVR, and DVD player - the are systems that do similar for much more.

It is very ugly though.

I don't know... I think it looks pretty good.

It's a shame that they had to cripple it to get it out the door for Christmas.

Same, I built an 800 dollar computer than can do pretty much the same thing and play PC games on top of burning and playing dvd's having full broadband capabilities and not looking like shit.

I could have cut the thing down to 200 if I gave it the same specs as the psx

500 USD? Hahaha, you are all insane.

The DESR-5000 model (160Gb) costs 79,800yen, and the DESR-7000 model (250Gb) costs 99,800yen.

In other words, the 160Gb model costs aproximately... 740 USD, and the 250Gb version costs like 925 USD.

A 200 USD PC can do the same things the PSX can do? Stop lying to yourself.

Agreed... I think one of the main selling points is it isn't a PC. I love my PCs, but they can't replace component systems.

But the PSX is ridiculously ugly. Hopefully they get back to a more stylish look (I like how the PS2 looks). It is better looking than a PC sitting next to a TV, but still.

Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Dec 16, 2003 @ 01:57 AM

I'm disappointed. How come you aren't in any of the above pictures? ^^;

I tend not to let people use my DiGiCam ^^;

500 USD? Hahaha, you are all insane.

The DESR-5000 model (160Gb) costs 79,800yen, and the DESR-7000 model (250Gb) costs 99,800yen.

In other words, the 160Gb model costs aproximately... 740 USD, and the 250Gb version costs like 925 USD.

A 200 USD PC can do the same things the PSX can do? Stop lying to yourself.

$740/$925, that's even more ridiculous (and actually more than a 3DO!). They'll have to lower the price if they want to sell more than 3 of these things over here.

I never said anything about a $200 PC (although one of those Wal-Mart PC's would nearly fit the bill, as would a modded Xbox), but for $500 you could build something that had better performance, was more versatile, and looked better, doing everything the PSX could and then some, with the exception of playing PS2 games obviously (but then again, since you'd be saving so much money, you could purchase a PS2 if you wanted one as well).

For $925, you could build a PC that could completely destroy the PSX in all categories. So really, I don't see the appeal, other than 'ease of use', in which case, I think a DVD player, PVR, and PS2 combined would still be cheaper.

those cheap Walmart PCs need more RAM and possibly more HD space

a PC can't compare to the simplicity of a dedicated consumer electronic device

The PSX does do quite a bit. But, a price point that high will cripple the sales of it. Yes a PS2 runs $200. And a good comparable non-pc DVR and DVD recorder could run you more than $500. They already appear to be marketing it to non-gamers. And audio/videophiles who would buy that, are gonna already have that equipment. The only reason to get one, would be to have all 3 units in 1 box.

Originally posted by it290@Dec 16, 2003 @ 12:47 PM

For $925, you could build a PC that could completely destroy the PSX in all categories. So really, I don't see the appeal, other than 'ease of use', in which case, I think a DVD player, PVR, and PS2 combined would still be cheaper.

All categories? You wouldn't be able to play PlayStation2 games, and it wouldn't look as beautiful as the PSX.

And again, the good thing is that it is not a PC.

PCs would be a pain to record with.. For a start you use Windows...

But, something the PC has over the PSX by far... Well this PC at least.. looks.

3ud5s.jpg

That thing is horrible, I am sick and tired of that Black+Green over-rated color combination, it's almost everywhere, The Matrix, the Xbox, and everyone loves it, my god, the PSX is beautiful, not "badass" ¬¬

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Dec 16, 2003 @ 04:25 PM

All categories? You wouldn't be able to play PlayStation2 games, and it wouldn't look as beautiful as the PSX.

And again, the good thing is that it is not a PC.

It depends on what you're looking for. I can probably build a sweet system that would knock the crap out of this thing for $500 or so and have more than enough cash to buy a PS2, new or used, if I really wanted to play PS2 games (and still have money left over. Combining two units into one does NOT necessaraly make it superior in any way. Usually when you take two unique items and merge them together into one, it does not perform either function as well as the two units would seperately. Take a look at the N'Gage for cryin' out loud. It's a huge POS. Get a GBA/SP and a real phone and you'll save cash AND have better utility from both. To me this is just another toy to suck up your hard earned money. But hey, if you want it, it's all yours.

Back