PSX release! / Level X Expo Open!

I agree and also, I just plain dont understand who this is marketed to. The pc user already has one so to speak, the hardcore media guy will have all this crap in spades and the mainstream user probably doesnt need or want one since most of em already have a playstation 2.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Dec 16, 2003 @ 08:55 PM

That thing is horrible, I am sick and tired of that Black+Green over-rated color combination, it's almost everywhere, The Matrix, the Xbox, and everyone loves it, my god, the PSX is beautiful, not "badass" ¬¬

I agree

I prefer black and blue

If XBox used blue instead of green, it would be so much cooler.

That thing is horrible, I am sick and tired of that Black+Green over-rated color combination, it's almost everywhere, The Matrix, the Xbox, and everyone loves it, my god, the PSX is beautiful, not "badass" ¬¬

Suuure, a white pizza box with the letters 'PSX' etched into it is 'beautiful'... I guess that makes Macs from the early 90's era 'beautiful' as well.

Here, take a look at the attached image- it's basically what my gfx workstation PC looks like. This isn't even one of the cooler looking mini cases available either, IMHO. I built this machine nearly 3/4 of a year ago for well under 900, and its specs destroy the PSX's in every way except HD space (easily upgradable if I had the need). It can do everything the PSX can except play PS2 games, and is actually useful for other purposes besides entertainment. If I wanted to use it like a PVR, I could easily kit it out with a remote control and user-friendly interface.

I guess what I'm saying is the PSX is just all around silly at that price point. I think if they released it for about $300-$350 they would have a much better market, but I guess Sony is just relying on their 'prestige' to sell something for more than it's worth, just like the PS2 and half of their other consumer electronics (which used to be good, but IMHO the quality has degraded alot. I have Sony products from the mid 80's that still work well, and others purchased in this millenium which are completely dead). Do YOU really think it's worth paying ~$900 for one of these things, Des-ROW?

Attachments

• sn41g2.jpg
    sn41g2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 67
  • sn41g2.jpg
    sn41g2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 76
Originally posted by it290@Dec 16, 2003 @ 07:35 PM

Here, take a look at the attached image- it's basically what my gfx workstation PC looks like.

You really think that case looks better than the PSX? Let's not even consider the fact that the CD/DVD drive would make it look even more horrible, because drives have a white color, and not match with the metallic front.

The PSX looks better, a lot better.

Do YOU really think it's worth paying ~$900 for one of these things, Des-ROW?

Absolutely.

yeah I don't like those cubes because they don't match most drives.

the new sony DVD burner is about the only one that comes close

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Dec 16, 2003 @ 08:44 PM

You really think that case looks better than the PSX? Let's not even consider the fact that the CD/DVD drive would make it look even more horrible, because drives have a white color, and not match with the metallic front.

The PSX looks better, a lot better.

If you people are looking at aesthetics as the main reason to buy something, get a Mac:

productshot_imac2_1103.jpg
productshot_imac3_1103.jpg

ooooohh... pretty.... :sarcasm: I've got much, much better things to spend $900 on.

/not trying to start a PC vs Mac flame war

Actually, I have a silver DVD drive on mine, so yeah, I do think it looks better. Not to mention the power/HDD LED's are really bright and cool lookin'. It may not be to your taste aesthetically, but the PSX goes beyond minimalism and into the realm of 'plainness'.. which shouldn't be encouraged for a product with such lofty ambitions.

As for Macs, I like the looks on the TiBooks and AluBooks, but I never did care for the iMac and iBook series that much. The newer iMacs looks too much like lamps, and the older iBooks looked too much like toilet seat covers. ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I liked the G4 cubes as well- too bad they were horribly built and then discontinued.

Does anyone else hate this annoying trend of making all home electronics silver? All the components in my home theater (receiver, cd changer, tape player, dvd player, cd recoder and vcr) are black. And I like it that way. When I'm watching a movie I don't want to have all my electronics stand out like crazy distracting me with their shinny silverness. I don't mind silver in some situations but the least they could do is give you the option of getting a component in either silver or black. It's getting quite annyoing now.

How about the "wood" trim from back in the day? You know, the plastic strips that were glued to everything and eventually would peel off and look even worse. Man, I miss THOSE days. :blink: But yes, I like black better too. It's much easier to ignore.

Originally posted by Quadriflax@Dec 17, 2003 @ 12:30 PM

How about the "wood" trim from back in the day? You know, the plastic strips that were glued to everything and eventually would peel off and look even worse. Man, I miss THOSE days. :blink: But yes, I like black better too. It's much easier to ignore.

I got a bigass wood-paneled tv from 1993 and I love that thing. Its one of those kind that just sits on the floor by itself and man is it HUGE. dunno how many inches the tv itself is, but the wooden casing is a beast.

Wood-paneled stuff like the 2600, car interiors, and VHS tape organizer-box things? Looking back on that style, it's just tacky. I think in a few years, the silver/metalic/clear design that most electronics have will change again and will feel the same way, tacky.

G4 Cube was nice to look at, but the potential fire hazard...yeah, not the best machine. The generation 2 iMacs are nice looking, yes, but isn't that what you're paying for when you buy a Mac, compared to any of the mass produced PC clones? Just an extra $1k for style, I think that sounds right. But yeah, if I had the chance, I'd take one.

In the future, I want to see the style change to the N64 "Atomic Purple" look. Imagine, all of your electronics, encased in a clear, purple-ish, shell...

Originally posted by ratfish@Dec 17, 2003 @ 09:21 PM

In the future, I want to see the style change to the N64 "Atomic Purple" look. Imagine, all of your electronics, encased in a clear, purple-ish, shell...

Did you miss it? Alot of things were opaquely colored for a while, this was inspired by the first iMacs and their nasty designs... ewww. I know Racketboy hates this too, he'll tell you how ugly these things were. Purple see through chairs, lamps... everything.

Des you could have did one of those hold your camera infront of your face while standing next to a PSX sign things to get a pic of yourself in all the PSX hype

Did you miss it? Alot of things were opaquely colored for a while, this was inspired by the first iMacs and their nasty designs... ewww. I know Racketboy hates this too, he'll tell you how ugly these things were. Purple see through chairs, lamps... everything.

I think you mean transparently rather than opaquely. I don't mind some of that stuff, but I agree, most of it looks tacky. Woodgrain on the other hand is a classic that will never grow old. In fact, I remember thinking woodgrain was tacky back in the 80's and early 90's, but looking upon it now, it's obvious to me that the predominant design styles from that era were far more appalling (with some exceptions -like the awesome model 1 sega genesis for example).

Heh, yes. I would like to see stuff come in black or white but not silver. I'd love to have more appliences that look like the dreamcast or... uh what was it called. The pippin. That thing may have sucked ass but it looked pretty cool.

So yeah, I say white is where it's at.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Dec 17, 2003 @ 09:08 PM

I'd love to have more appliences that look like the dreamcast or... uh what was it called. The pippin.

Beige/platinum style. The same thing they used for the Macs through most of the 90s.

No, unfortunately I didn't miss the transparent plastic color trend.

Fortuantely, I was able to get close enough to a G5 to really take a look at it, and mess around with it. I'm a bit skeptical, but the industrial look (sheet metal/grating) is pretty nifty. I wouldn't be suprised if they put rivets in the case just for added effect.

edit: George Foreman grills and iMacs are about the only things I can think of that I got some use out of during the multi-colored transparent plastic era. Oh yes, and the N64.

Back