PSX release! / Level X Expo Open!

Originally posted by gameboy900@Dec 17, 2003 @ 05:25 PM

Does anyone else hate this annoying trend of making all home electronics silver? All the components in my home theater (receiver, cd changer, tape player, dvd player, cd recoder and vcr) are black. And I like it that way. When I'm watching a movie I don't want to have all my electronics stand out like crazy distracting me with their shinny silverness. I don't mind silver in some situations but the least they could do is give you the option of getting a component in either silver or black. It's getting quite annyoing now.

Most high-end stuff is still black

I'm sticking with black too.

I think the silver will be to trendy.

My current TV and DVD player are a nice silver (both Phillips), but I'll be ditching them when I move next year

I don't like systems being black very much... most of them have a "cheap" feeling because they are black... like companies trying to show how "cool" the system is because it is black. A good example is comparing the American black Sega Saturn with the white Japanese model.

Only certain systems are good in black, while others should be either silver or "transparent-white-plastic".

I think black is a good color for consoles, and I don't mind white, but Nintendo really needs to get a clue. I mean purple is a terrible color for the cube-its good they have other colors available (and the system looks better in black or orange IMHO), and the N64 and SNES were pretty fugly too. The NES was somewhat homely, but I can't really blame them because companies weren't really thinking about that kind of thing as much back then.

The thing that sucks with white (and grey) consoles is that they turn yellow with age, and the yellowing is practically impossible to get rid of. That effect could be avoided by having a clear acrylic outer layer (like the PowerMac G4's), and would probably look pretty cool.

Anyway, since this discussion has turned to consoles (and other stuff) looking good/bad, what's everyone's favorite? IMHO, the Saturn is the coolest looking console (black or white, just not clear), followed by the DC (again, black or white, but I prefer black in this case), followed by the original VCS heavy sixer, followed by the original Genesis model 1 (with 'high definition graphics on it').

I think the controller ports in the back are rediculous. And it could have used four controller ports! <_<

If they wanted it to look good, they could have put the controller ports in the front underneath a sliding cover or something. :huh

Originally posted by ChiBangin101@Dec 18, 2003 @ 12:13 PM

I think the controller ports in the back are rediculous. And it could have used four controller ports! <_<

If they wanted it to look good, they could have put the controller ports in the front underneath a sliding cover or something. :huh

The controller ports in the back look very professional.

And why 4? All PlayStation family products have 2 controller ports. It is most likely that even the PlayStation3 will have only 2 controller ports.

My favourite looking systems would be... the Sony PlayStation2 and PSX, the NEC PC-FX, the SNK Neo-Geo AES, the Sega CDX, and the White Sega Saturn.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Dec 18, 2003 @ 01:01 PM

My favourite looking systems would be... the Sony PlayStation2 and PSX, the NEC PC-FX, the SNK Neo-Geo AES, the Sega CDX, and the White Sega Saturn.

You don't like the look of the Dreamcast? Man, that's the sexiest system to date!

Yeah, AES, PC-FX, and CDX are pretty pimp, altho the CDX looks a little ridiculous if you put a 32x on it (so does the Gen model 1 for that matter, however). The AES is especially cool with its big ass joysticks and huge cartridges.

LOL at the controller ports looking 'professional'... professional Playstation 2 gamer? heh.

Dreamcast is one sexy looking system. It's the curves that make it seem so beautiful, yet so deadly.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the Vectrex is one awesome looking system too. And I like the way my Colecovision looks, but I hate the lame ass controllers.

Ok, am I the only person who doesn't get this?

When the PS2 first came out, didn't they start using "PSX" to refer to the original playstation? I definitely remember hearing and seeing and reding PSX being used a lot from then up until today in reference to the original playstation.

So, isn't it going to confuse people to have this new PSX that's actually a PS2? I for one was confused as all heck when I first started reading this thread. I couldn't figure out what these japanese folks were getting so excited about a reissue of the PSOne.

JMT.

The Dreamcast looks nice, but not that much.

LOL at the controller ports looking 'professional'... professional Playstation 2 gamer? heh.

I never stated that it made the player look professional, that is just stupid.

When the PS2 first came out, didn't they start using "PSX" to refer to the original playstation?

They? Everyone BUT Sony did.

Originally posted by KiDdErZ@Dec 16, 2003 @ 08:40 PM

PCs would be a pain to record with.. For a start you use Windows...

It's actually pretty easy to record and burn things with a PC these days, but if you can't figure it out, I think you'd be better off with a plain DVD recorder and DVD+RW media. Works just like a VCR if you want to just pop in discs and record.

it290: I love the Colecovision controllers for one reason. I can hand one to my friends and be like "Here, you're player 2." and they'll stare at and say "What the heck is THIS thing??". They were waaay ahead of their time when it came to the trend of adding more buttons to a controller, LOL!

I've never understood how people find game consoles sexy. :looney

You guys really need to get out more.

i think it's awesome how des-ROW emphasises an average of two words per statement ;)

also, today at work, some guy was talking about the PS2 and he said "yeah man they've already got the PS3 out in japan." and i said, you mean the PSX, and he glared at me and goes, "no. it's the PS3. trust me, i know what i'm talking about." he was like "japan is like 3 years ahead of us over there man, it's all about the systems man, i'm a dumbass, man" or something like that...

and i just shrugged.

Originally posted by aaron@Dec 18, 2003 @ 08:01 PM

i think it's awesome how des-ROW emphasises an average of two words per statement ;)

^^;;;

also, today at work, some guy was talking about the PS2 and he said "yeah man they've already got the PS3 out in japan." and i said, you mean the PSX, and he glared at me and goes, "no. it's the PS3. trust me, i know what i'm talking about." he was like "japan is like 3 years ahead of us over there man, it's all about the systems man, i'm a dumbass, man" or something like that...

and i just shrugged.

Very bad... why shrug? You should have told him to shut up and show him the facts. Next time, hit him.

he was very big. i'm the skinny vegan kid, remember?

plus i like taking comfort in the fact that i'm smarter than most people in central indiana. i guess that's not really too hard to do, though.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Dec 19, 2003 @ 12:04 PM

Very bad... why shrug? You should have told him to shut up and show him the facts. Next time, hit him.

I didn't think you believed in using violence to resolve conflict.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Dec 18, 2003 @ 06:04 AM

I don't like systems being black very much... most of them have a "cheap" feeling because they are black... like companies trying to show how "cool" the system is because it is black. A good example is comparing the American black Sega Saturn with the white Japanese model.

Only certain systems are good in black, while others should be either silver or "transparent-white-plastic".

it depends on the execution

both black and silver can look cheap if not done right.

There are some very sexy looking black receivers.

Not too many good recievers in silver.

Besides I don't think my components should be what I'm showing off.

Hopefully the image on the screen and the sound quality should be what's noticed.

Originally posted by mal+Dec 18, 2003 @ 08:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Dec 18, 2003 @ 08:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Des-ROW@Dec 19, 2003 @ 12:04 PM

I didn't think you believed in using violence to resolve conflict. [/b][/quote]

*Hit him* with the truth.

That was expressed tacitly.

I did not think you would not get it.

Originally posted by racketboy@Dec 18, 2003 @ 08:36 PM

Besides I don't think my components should be what I'm showing off.

Hopefully the image on the screen and the sound quality should be what's noticed.

It's even better when you can show off both things.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Dec 19, 2003 @ 12:40 PM

*Hit him* with the truth.

That was expressed tacitly.

I did not think you would not get it.

Just me being slow on the uptake. :biglaugh

Wow Des-Row, didn't realize these were your pics (I thought you just nabbed 'em from some site :p ) Thanks for spending the time going there and then uploading them and stuff :)

Well I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetics of this system but the extra features wouldn't be bad. Not fully worth the extra cost IMO, but its nice to see Sony thinking about integration before the release of the ps3. Its too bad that they seemed to rush the PSX at the end though (or so I read...could be wrong though), the incompatibilities (due to only 1 USB...I think...heh...I'm tired) sounded strange to me, normally Sony is good at keeping things backwards compatible and easily accessible. I agree with both Des-Row and ChiBangin101 on the controller ports deal... it does make it look much better without the ports in the front IMO... but its practicality is not all there. If I was picking up a ps2....and lived in Japan... I'd consider picking one of these up. If I had the extra $$$ of course. I'd go with the 160GB model though, thats tons in my view. I think you are paying a tad more for the 'chic' aspect to this system so if you're into fancy consoles then this one's for you.

But talking about sexyness of consoles... I'd have to go with the genesis. Why? oh... the combinations of course. theres the Model 1 genny&SCD and 32X for the topontopontop deal (sega cube?), or the classier Model 2 Genny&SCD and 32X figure(the L).... or another one of my favs, the model 3 genny (the majesco, tiny square one) with 32X, Game Genie, Sonic and Knuckles with *ohhhs and ahhs* lock on technology to sonic 3. I call it 'the leaning tower of Sega' :lol:

yes... just so you guys know, I had my wisdom teeth out today and am on painkillers at the moment. And its late. I hope that explains some of this :blush:

:huh :blah :looney

---Ammut

Back