PSX release! / Level X Expo Open!

Are you sure? :huh:

PSX losing its luster?

First-hand look at the new console's first days on the market suggests strong competition--from other Sony products.

TOKYO--A shopping trip to Akihabara today suggested that the bloom is off the PSX's rose. Sony’s new console/entertainment center launched just one week ago on December 13. But a salesman at LaOX, a major Japanese electronics retailer, confirmed that it was possible to buy a PSX without a reservation. That's rare for a new product in Japan, let alone one as heavily hyped as the PSX.

The console was also given short shrift at the LaOX's entrance, where it lost the competition for display space to a salesman hawking broadband connections. The neighboring electronics shop also had PSXs in stock, with no need to wait in line or pre-order.

Sony has commented that it pushed the PSX launch back to mid-December in order to build up inventory. This might explain why it’s now possible to buy the console without pre-ordering: Sony stockpiled enough consoles to meet demand after the first-week rush. But the low priority assigned to PSX visual merchandising by electronics retailers does seem to suggest that consumer interest is flagging.

One possible culprit: competition from other Sony products. One display inside another LaOX had a PSX next to a Sony Blu-ray DVD recorder, capable of burning 23 gigabytes onto dedicated Blu-ray media. Meanwhile, Sony’s Sugo Roku personal video recorder/DVD burner was just around the corner, and priced almost $200 below the PSX's at just 59,800 yen ($554).

It seems that Sony hasn’t been able to differentiate the PSX sufficiently from its own products, let alone products from other manufacturers.

Article Here.

As far as I know, they are now pretty hard to get, most stores have all units reserved or already sold out.

Oh, and here you have a nice article as well.

It would seem that the article posted by MTXBlau is newer. Who knows which one is more accurate, but given the level of detail, I'd say the Gamespot article.

I think it's a waste at 900 bucks...jesus that's a lot, haha. Sure it would be cool to have, but not for the price. and yes, the black/green combo is hidious...have disliked it since I was a child. I like black/blue, white/blue, and my fave white/red.This is prob. the single-most reason I disliked scorpion so much on MK, cuz of his colors, haha. But ya, the PSX is a looker, but for the price it better make me pizzas too. If you wanna waste yer money on it, go ahead....it's your cash, help the economy.

Originally posted by Des-ROW+Dec 18, 2003 @ 01:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Des-ROW @ Dec 18, 2003 @ 01:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-ChiBangin101@Dec 18, 2003 @ 12:13 PM

I think the controller ports in the back are rediculous. And it could have used four controller ports! <_<

If they wanted it to look good, they could have put the controller ports in the front underneath a sliding cover or something. :huh

The controller ports in the back look very professional.

And why 4? All PlayStation family products have 2 controller ports. It is most likely that even the PlayStation3 will have only 2 controller ports.

My favourite looking systems would be... the Sony PlayStation2 and PSX, the NEC PC-FX, the SNK Neo-Geo AES, the Sega CDX, and the White Sega Saturn.
[/b][/quote]

Sure, but the controller ports aren't easily accessible, especially if you want to put it under a TV stand or something. It would still look professional in the front with a sliding cover.

And why not four controller ports? People like playing with friends. It's called upgrading. Nintendo systems used to only have two controller ports...

Because Sony does everything right, and their decisions are ultimately good- not just for their own profit margins, but humanity as a whole, as well as all other lifeforms, terrestrial or not.

Originally posted by ChiBangin101@Dec 20, 2003 @ 01:03 AM

And why not four controller ports? People like playing with friends. It's called upgrading. Nintendo systems used to only have two controller ports...

Well, seems like the multi-tap accesory gives Sony good profit, so they do not have any reasons for it to get removed from the market at all.

Because Sony does everything right, and their decisions are ultimately good- not just for their own profit margins, but humanity as a whole, as well as all other lifeforms, terrestrial or not.

Great argument.

all this talk about the PSX's design makes me want to apply a quote from my beloved Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:

"...In other words - and this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded - their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws"
:p

Anyway, for that $900+ I'd rather buy a stock PS2 and a Panasonic Q, as it's been taken out of production now and it looks helluva cool. That pic of the PSX standing upright makes be think it's pretty easy to knock over, and then the lens assembly would break of course :)

Oh and 'We are marvel fan club exhibtion' :cheers

I dunno about this PSX thing. First I've heard of it, but it immediately strikes me as a highly contrived product that they are trying to market to the consumer by trying to convince them that they need it instead of appealing to them on a legitimate level. I'm still not entirely clear on its function... it's a sort of a video game/DVD recorder? Is it for recording HDTV stuff and burning it onto DVDs? Forgive me, but I sort of don't get it.

It reminds me of those camera cell phones. Now, let's be honest, why in the hell would you pay twice as much for a cell phone that can take one or two low-resolution photos, so you can e-mail them (for an additional $10 a month in service fees above and beyond your normal phone bill of course) to people that will rapidly get sick and tired of you sending them useless photos of stuff. If you're that interested in buying a camera, get a fully featured digital camera for the same price and keep your old cell phone.

I don't understand who came up with the idea of putting a cheap, yet overpriced, digital photo component into a cell phone. There was no demand for such a thing, it was "contrived" and now they want you to cancel your existing phone service, and trade it in for one.

Maybe it's just me but the idea of combining a PS2 with a set-top DVD digital vcr seems contrived in the same way.

Originally posted by CommanderBubba@Dec 19, 2003 @ 04:36 PM

I don't understand who came up with the idea of putting a cheap, yet overpriced, digital photo component into a cell phone. There was no demand for such a thing, it was "contrived" and now they want you to cancel your existing phone service, and trade it in for one.

You'd be surprised. The camera craze has swept this area pretty easily. There's a pretty big demand for these strange gadgets.

I don't get it, to be honest. But most people don't want to be bothered with carrying a camera and a cell phone at any given moment.

Originally posted by MTXBlau+Dec 20, 2003 @ 04:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTXBlau @ Dec 20, 2003 @ 04:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-CommanderBubba@Dec 19, 2003 @ 04:36 PM

You'd be surprised. The camera craze has swept this area pretty easily. There's a pretty big demand for these strange gadgets.

I don't get it, to be honest. But most people don't want to be bothered with carrying a camera and a cell phone at any given moment. [/b][/quote]

One of the reasons I wanted a camera phone was to moblog... but my phone is so unintuitive that it's a freakin hassle to take pictures, save, and send. That's one of the reasons the novelty wore off. Oh yeah, and my life is boring.

Yeah, moblogging is k-rad, but like any blog, you have to be good at it for people to actually care -- which doesn't apply to 99.9% of the people with camera phones.

Back