Ram carts

Hi!

I just bought this game called Final Fight Revenge on Ebay and now I wanna play it, but I need a 4MB ramcart.

I found someone on Ebay(.nl) selling some 4-in-1 device cart that had Gameshark, Import Player, Memory and the RAMcart support.

But he says he never got it working.

Is it true this doesn't work?

I really wanna order it, but ony if the 3rd party carts are working with these games.

Can anyone clear it out for me?

Maybe he/she is using some 3 or 4-in-1 cart themselves and can tell me the NOT WORKING story is bullsh*t.

afaik there were import cart with no RAM modules on it and then there were import carts with 1MB and/or 4MB but nowadays pretty much all import carts labelled as 4-1 should support 1MB/4MB/Import enabler/Non Direct-Save Backup Memory...

Some has auto switching between 1MB and 4MB while others have the switch that needed to be flicked though haven't seen this type for ages...

Ask the seller the name and maker of the cart...

Originally posted by ExCyber@Fri, 2006-02-03 @ 08:10 AM

. I'm 99% sure that the whole notion of "auto-switching" is a myth. The 1MB games just support the 4MB cart.

[post=144073]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't see the point about it either ... the same memory space is used, so basically a 4MB cart can handle the games needing 1MB without needing any change ...

According to the documentation, the 4MB is defined by putting 0x5C at 0x25FFFFFC (I'm not 100% sure of the location), and by putting 0x5A for 1MB carts.

So it's theorically possible to force a value there with an AR+, changing the 4MB in a 1MB (do not try the other way around :p )

Originally posted by Runik@Fri, 2006-02-03 @ 05:56 AM

According to the documentation, the 4MB is defined by putting 0x5C at 0x25FFFFFC (I'm not 100% sure of the location), and by putting 0x5A for 1MB carts.

So it's theorically possible to force a value there with an AR+, changing the 4MB in a 1MB (do not try the other way around :p )

[post=144081]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, this was a problem with the older 4MB carts, like the AR 4-in-1 from EMS.

They had a fixed ID value of $5C, so 1MB games wouldn't recognize the RAM. There's a hardware hack you can make to the PCB change the value to $5A, but then 4MB carts don't work. This is why more modern carts have a switch so you can select the ID value accordingly.

Some years before figuring that out, I found 1MB games worked on the 4MB cart randomly if I tried to boot 10-20 times. :) If that's triggering a software glitch or hardware flaw, it's shocking to think such a problem can be repeated in so few reboots!

Back