Regan-Mania

Originally posted by Supergrom@Jun 9, 2004 @ 03:20 PM

well, since this is where this thread is going i might as well throw this out there:

lets put aaron burr on the $1 bill :sarcasm:

I agree. He's the guy that shot Alexander Hamilton right? :huh

No, here's how it should break down:

$1 George Washington

$2 Clint Eastwood

$5 Ronald Reagan

$10 Thomas Jefferson

$20 Benjamin Franklin

$50 Abraham Lincoln

$100 Franklin Roosevelt

1¢ cease production of pennies altogether

5¢ Jimmy Carter

10¢ Alexander Hamilton

25¢ Richard Nixon

50¢ Bill Clinton

Got it? I figured it out for everyone, now there's no need to argue about who should be on what bill/coin. :banana

All this nonsense will die down at the end of the week. It's ridiculous. All of it. I wasn't old enough have an opinion as to what Reagan did, but seriously, we don't need to be changing our money for this guy. Didn't he create one of the largest debts the US has ever seen? Wouldn't putting his face on our currency be like nominating Marilyn Manson as the head of the Christian Coalition?

Yeah, he seemed like nice enough guy, but I think we need to let history sort out his legacy before we go throwing his face on our money. If time should decide that he was a good president, then have at it. Right now people are too emotional to make such a decision. So as long as no one ever wants to put Dubya on anything but trial, though, I think we'll be okay.

edit: Besides, the guy already has enough shit in his name. Damn, save some for other people...

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Jun 9, 2004 @ 12:12 PM

Lol, I feel like I'm the only conservative on this board. :ph34r:

I'm definately a conservative, so don't feel alone. I tend to avoid political discussions here, as it's one of the few boards I hadn't made a half million enemies on because of my political affiliation, but I can't stand for senseless Reagan bashing... Despite the complaints on the matter of policy, the man had many admirable traits, whether you liked him or not. Those saying they wish he had died earlier, or trying to taint the memory others have of him, it's pathetic and partisan. I'd be funny to watch if so many idiots didn't feel that way...

Anyway, I say we move to a Judge Dredd sort of Presidency. Once you decide to leave office, you have to traverse the desert trying to bring law to the lawless... and you can never be heard from again.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Jun 9, 2004 @ 06:06 PM

And Humphrey Bogart! Jesus, Clint Eastwood? He isn't even dead yet. Are you trying to hex him?

Do people really have to be dead to be put on money? Clint Eastwood is such a great guy I think they can make an exception.

I dont think Roosevelt should be taken off of the dime... He got this country through WWII.

Speaking of WWII it sickens me to see Dubya trying to draw a connection between the war with Iraq and WWII.

There was talk of how Roosevelt had to work hard to keep the allied forces together and how he is working hard to keep the allies together again.. :puke:

In my opinion the only similarity between the two his Dubya and Hitler :lol:

Sorry if creating this post made it seem like I have something against Reagan personally. Seemed like a good man (probably a better one than I am anyways). But I don't agree with his policies and beliefs. It is my understanding and belief that in the death of a reasonable human being, you should show some form of respect or understanding. But you don't need to show admiration.

With regard to the monuments, I meant to say that I disagree with attempts to capitalize on his death by injecting him into too many of the simple things in everyone's daily lives. When radical decisions are made shortly after an emotional event, history over the last 2000+ years tends to show those decisions to be flawed (or at least hastly made and without consideration for other things or people). That's why I'm glad it takes 25 years (by law) to erect a monument to something in Washington. It could be argued that Reagan deserves a monument, and certainly there is some validity in that. Once could also say that a few buildings could be re-named. Fine. But don't take it to inane levels. Last I checked, people such as JFK, Benjamin Franklin or Booker T. Washington don't have monuments in Washington either. I think Reagan can wait too.

Note: As for the dime, it holds greater signicance with FDR on it then it could ever with Reagan (if only because of his involvement in involvement the March of Dimes).

Yes Regean was president during a period of the largest growth in our national deficit. But that was due to a partial flawed belief in how to rescue our economy from a recession. The "Regonomics" approach was lower taxes to spur spending. Also, increase the governments spending. The is a both an expenditure and supply driven stabilization policy. And by moving both, prices should stay relatively stable. However, when the economy is looking bad, people talk it into an even worse place. Instead of spending your tax refund you save it. Who knows, you may not have a job next week. So what ends up happening is people spend little of what you give back while the gov't is spending more. If you make less and spend more, you will always run a deficit.

Back