• Rise from your gwave!

replacing the battery in old genesis carts

Discussion in 'Genesis/Mega Drive' started by Shinshiro, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Shinshiro

Shinshiro New Member

i recently won Shining Force 1, 2 and Phantasy Star 4 off ebay and found that none of them holds any saved games after turning off the system power (this didnt surprise me, i was expecting this to happen cuz of the age of all genesis carts) so:

1 - is there a way to replace the cart batteries?

2 - do i need a special gamebit screwdriver to open the carts (i saw one on ebay for $20 US, i hope there are places cheaper then that)??

3 - do the right batteries even exsist anymore???

4 - if so where could i find a bunch of these batteries for sale (hopefully not extremely expensive either)????

5 - is there a site with instructions on how to replace the battery or is it straight forward stuff with nothing complicated about it?????

2. megametalgreymon

megametalgreymon New Member

you can get new gamebits from liksang

they are around $14 iirc

ive not opened up a cart to look, but id imagine any battery with the same voltage would work fine, although youd have to find some way of mounting it in there

i cant look either , since i lost my gamebit a while ago :(

3. Ratamahatta

Ratamahatta Member

the battery may be the cr 2032, but it is like soldered in place.

4. IceDigger

IceDigger Founder Staff Member

most games use a CR2032 with solder tabs. easy to replace.

5. Mike G

Mike G New Member

If you want the CR2032 batteries with solder tabs, you can get them from http://www.digikey.com I think - or you can just solder in a battery holder and use normal CR2032s, available from just about anywhere.

It's possible to improvise a Game Bit screwdriver; have a look at my SMSReader tutorial at http://www.smspower.org/smsreader/cartridge.html - it's not perfect I'll admit, but it does the job.

Mike

(Edited by Mike G at 2:22 pm on Feb. 4, 2002)

6. IceDigger

also, on genny carts the screws are very close to the surface, so it's rather easy to get them out with small pliers or even scissors. I recommend replacing them with normal ones afterwards, tho.

7. Shinshiro

Shinshiro New Member

8. Mike G

Mike G New Member

I can't see the page you're referring to ("your dataset has expired" it tells me), but you do need a horizontal mounted battery or battery holder.

Mike

9. IUG

IUG New Member

Man, I hope this never happens to me. I still have Shining Force II with a working battery. After all these years, I can still see Shade use the Gismere blade to slice up the Prism Flowers :D. Come to think of it, all of my batteries still work. I've checked Beyond Oasis, my SegaCD's battery, Saturn, all working.

10. Shinshiro

Shinshiro New Member

yeah its strange for me too cuz i read somewhere that these batteries are supposed to last up to 5 or so years, but i have a Pirates Gold cart, man i was smart to buy that back in the day :) and the battery still works over 7 years after i bought the game (i bought it a few months after it came out)!

strange aint it

11. Ratamahatta

Ratamahatta Member

Pirates Gold is an amazing game and quite the rarity as well.

12. Mike G

Mike G New Member

5 years is really a *minimum* lifespan for a cart battery - I have a SMS Miracle Warriors cart that's 13 years old and the battery is still fine :)

Mike

13. Shinshiro

Shinshiro New Member

wow those are some good batteries, i wish my watch battery could last that long :(

now all i need to do is find a cheap gamebit somewhere to crack open my genesis carts (and $15 US isnt cheap, cuz i live in Canada)

14. IceDigger

use small pliers or even a small screwdriver to push against the screw heads till they move.