[Request] PsyQ dev cart dump

vbt

Staff member
1619273346025.png

Would someone who own such cart able to dump the bios/firmware at [0x22000000, 0x22020000], 128KB
There is something more than the SATxxx.CPE firmware

1619273607876.png

Maybe that's the ROM on the target interface.

Ive thinked about it and there is not a simple way for dump the rom. Or you got an Mode or a Satiator like slinga said or you need to setup all psy-q tools, code some kind of dumper and use scsi, or hotswap the cart, or using serial port.

Ive thinked about it and there is not a simple way for dump the rom. Or you got an Mode or a Satiator like slinga said or you need to setup all psy-q tools, code some kind of dumper and use scsi, or hotswap the cart, or using serial port.
Dumping the region (0x22000000-0x22020000) VBT specified is already possible with Save Game Copier. If you have a MODE or Satiator you can dump it directly to an SD card. If you don't have MODE/Satiator you can dump that region to internal memory (in small chunks as internal memory is only ~32kb) and use Save Game Extractor to extract the firmware over audio.

In my opinion that doesn't sound difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: vbt
Is there any way to do this without hot-swapping the cart?
The manual specifically warns against removing or inserting the cart when the Saturn is powered on.

I think all of the methods mentioned above would require a hot-swap?

Anyone got any experience using one of these kits?
I am having trouble getting a connection between the host and the target.

I am not sure if I have selected the correct DMA or IRQ settings.
The ISA board does not seem to have any labels by the dip switches, so I am not sure if the jumpers are in the correct positions.

I am also running Win98 SE, not sure if that is an issue since most of the tools are dos or Win95.

When I try to install the Psybios file I get a message saying:
"PSYBIOS version 1.23"
"Installed OK - card address 318, DMA channel 7, Interrupt 15"

I power the console on and it boots to the PSYQ splash screen.
But when I try to execute the Run application from a dos command prompt I get a message saying "Cannot connect to target".
I also get a similar message when launching the PSYQ Win95 debugger.
I have tried different combinations of IRQ and DMA with the same result each time.

I am also not sure if I am using the correct cable.
The ISA board is labelled SCSI and the PSYQ cart is labelled SCSI2, but both devices have DB25 ports.
I am just using a standard male-male DB25 cable.

One thing that I did notice is that the PSYQ manual says that booting or resetting the console whilst holding down the start button on the controller will cause the cart firmware to print it's current config and self-test results on screen.
But when I try this with the controller in either port it just boots to the PSYQ splash screen without printing anything.

Old thread ... but are you sure that you used a DB25-DB25 SCSI cable, and not a DB25-DB25 parallel/printer/IEEE-1284 parallel cable? The wiring is different, and it's such an easy mistake to make because the DB25 connectors are identical. It's probably why SN/Psygnosis switched the ISA cards to use a standard 50-pin SCSI connector later on (1996?).

Back