Resident Evil 4 News!

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Apparently the older screenshots that you have seen of the game have been scrapped. Looks like they are doing the whole game over from what they had. Here is what is being done in the game so far.

"* The game can be played in first person view and two other view perspectives.

* RE4 supports 16:9 widescreen (which is mandatory) and 480 progressive scan. When the game is played on a regular screen, there are black borders on top and bottom.

* When the game plays in 3rd person view, the main character Leon stays in the far left side of the screen, making it like playing a first person shooter.

* The controls remain the same in the series, but the health and ammo indicators will be onscreen.

* The entire world is in full 3D, there are no open door animation and pre-rendered cutscenes, all scenes are rendered in real time.

* The story of RE4 takes place in 2004, six years after the incident of RE2

* The Umbrella Corp and the zombies have disappeared

* Leon is appointed by the president to guard his daughter, but before he takes the job, she has been kidnapped and taken to a village in South America, where all villagers are in an eerie trance, trying to hunt down Leon.

* The enemies will react to their body wounds, e.g. shooter the enemy's foot will make him hobble.

* The villagers are armed with weapons such as sickles, axes, pitchforks and other sharpen objects, and they have intelligence like in Sony's SIREN. For example one may pretend running away, luring you into his traps.

* It is possible to shoot an object thrown at you with the right timing.

* There is an action button which serves for different purposes, such as moving objects, kick the enemy and keep the enemies in distance.

* There are certain levels that are in complete darkness, you can only rely on moonlight illumination on the villagers.

* There are gigantic bosses who can catch Leon and hurl him through the air.

* Leon will have a sniper and hand gun as weapon." - The Magic Box

I don't know what to think of this? No zombies? How is it an RE game without zombies? Heres hopping for the best.

I don't mind most of the changes. But HOW is it RE without Umberella or zombies. Capcom could have slapped any old title on this game. It could have been Leon's adventure.

IceMan2k said:
I don't know what to think of this? No zombies? How is it an RE game without zombies? Heres hopping for the best.
I don't think that the absence of zombies is going to make this game seem less of an RE game - it's the view perspectives, the large landscapes, and the fact the the game is in full 3D now (no more fixed camera effect). There is no way this game is going to 'feel' like Resident Evil with these changes. But despite all these changes, the game still sounds as if it's an adventure (genre). These changes are just going to make the it loose it's originality... unless Capcom does something revolutionary.

schi0249 said:
Capcom could have slapped any old title on this game. It could have been Leon's adventure.
That's what they should have done. Given the game it's own little series (like the RE surviver series), instead of continuing the RE series with this game which may make or break the series. What I mean by that, is that if this game does something revolutionary, it becomes a success and you can kiss the long forgotton walking around in mansions with the fixed camera goodbye :( Next installments of the series will continue the trend that RE4 made. BUT, if the game flops, Capcom may say goodbye to the series altogether, since they cannot seem to renew public interest in the series.

Of course, this is just my thoughts... maybe the changes in RE4 wasn't because of lack of interest in the series....
... but then why would you steer away from what has worked in the past?

Oh well.

Leon is appointed by the president to guard his daughter, but before he takes the job, she has been kidnapped and taken to a village in South America, where all villagers are in an eerie trance, trying to hunt down Leon.

I repeat:

all villagers are in an eerie trance

Anybody else ever watch any of those great Italian zombie movies, where they go to South America and fight off whole villages of canibalistic zombies???

The change of perspective sounds like something I'll like. :) I've never been a big fan of 3rd person 3D.

At first I figured no Umbrella, no connection to the earlier RE games. Then I though of something, in the RE series you have found out that Wesker is working for someone other than Umbrella. I suppose this game could be about that group. The could be testing the virus as a weapon in Africa.

sorry to get off topic, but since you mentioned it ice: is Karny in the UK yet? i recall him saying he was going to move and it would take him a few months to get everything situated and get internet access and all. any idea what the timetable is like for when we will see him again?

Hey all, thanks for the interest. I'm in London as you read this. I'll post something in the General forum in the next few minutes...

I just checked out the preview in Game Informer. The graphics look good and the game play sounds interesting. When asked about the connection to the other RE games, Capcom indicated that some familiar characters would be returning. I am guessing it is Wesker. Anyone curious should check out the newest issue.

Back