65.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 255337_back.jpg
    255337_back.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 255337_back.jpg
    255337_back.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 206
Matt from IGN Impressions:

So far, pretty damned awesome, and further polished. A good chunk of new cut-scenes and dialogue in the final build. Also, some welcomed fixes. For instance, our hero can now wield the knife at any point with the L button. Doesn't matter if you have the gun equipped. Just hold L and he brings up his knife. Such a huge improvement over the previous process, which demanded that you cycle back and forth between an inventory screen to equip the blade just so you could smash open some crates. Also, the camera stick now enables you to free look left and right in addition to up and down. Excellent stuff.

Game is freakin' gorgeous on my widescreen plasma. It runs in progressive and Dolby Pro Logic II. I use my zoom function to eliminate the letterboxing -- you should all know by now that there's no true anamorphic widescreen mode, but this alternative seems to work well and despite my skepticism it looks great. No major loss in detail with the zoom.

I'm under just about every sort of NDA in the world, so I can't talk about story details. But there is some VERY cool stuff going on. I'm really having a great amount of fun. I made my wife watch me play earlier tonight and she literally screamed five times. Pretty funny, to be honest. She was like, "Watch out behind you! Turn around! Matt, run!" Seeing as how I'm already a big pansy when it comes to this game -- I'm genuinely scared to play it alone -- her screaming was not helping!

I'll take some pics of the box for you soon. The copy Capcom sent me came with a laser print of Leon and the Chainsaw Man, a making of featurette (in which Capcom quoted me twice, which was cool), and other little goodies. Best of all, it came wrapped in a diaper with the tagline: "Don't pee your pants. (But just in case...)"

Matt

Here's a sig I noticed on the IGN boards:

If you have cash, buy RE4.

If you have cash, but plan on RE4, buy another RE4.

If you have cash, but consider the far off PS2 port, buy a GC and RE4.

If you're waiting for a price drop, STFU and buy RE4.

If you've got no cash to spare, buy RE4.

:lol: :p :D

EIGHT DAYS TO GO!

Here's some of GMR's Review:

"RE4 is magnificent. It's a terrific showcase for the Gamecube, and it's every bit as worthy as the Halo's, the GTA's, and the MGSes of this generation. This is a stunning return to form."

"If only it didn't take so long for decent controls, efficient item management, and a ribbonless save system; I might have been an RE fan sooner. Gorgeous in its desolation. RE4 Will Be Remembered As One Of The GC's Defining Moments."

GMR Score: Coup De Grace

10/10

25-PLUS HOURS OF PLAY."

Also, I'll tell you some more stuff in my own words:

-You can now save at typewriters without ink ribbons.

-Items can be purchased from strange merchants using gold and treasure. Thing like scopes, bigger clips, faster reload times, and even inventory expanding items. Gives the game some RPG elements.

-Important items no longer take up inventory space, such as keys and items like that.

-The scariest game in the series. The person who reviewed it said: "RE4 can scare you in ways that horror movies will never achieve."

"...However, Resident Evil 4 is the one to bring it all back. Within the first five minutes of picking up the controller, you will realize that this is the new genesis of survival-horror."

One part very interesting is it does continue the storyline, many old characters make some appearances/

hey, can someone please buy me that re4 gamecube skin? i live in Oz and they want $29 for shipping! I can pay by paypal!! pm me

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Mon, 2005-01-03 @ 09:47 PM

-Items can be purchased from strange merchants using gold and treasure... Gives the game some RPG elements.

[post=127036]Quoted post[/post]​

Please refrain from associating purchasing items/ weapons with RPGs.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Mon, 2005-01-03 @ 09:47 PM

Also, I'll tell you some more stuff in my own words:

-Items can be purchased from strange merchants using gold and treasure. Thing like scopes, bigger clips, faster reload times, and even inventory expanding items. Gives the game some RPG elements.

[post=127036]Quoted post[/post]​

Your not off the hook yet :hehehe: :p

Here's GMR's Review:

Reviews You Can Trust

Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil 4

The Quick And The Dead

Mature GC

The few people who cling to the notion that the long-dormant series Alone In The Dark created the survival-horror genre typically neglect to acknowledge that the Resident Evil franchise defined it. Nothing stirs the senses quite so much as the shuffle of the undead, who linger just out of earshot, game in and game out. While the Resident Evil series has suffered from a slight identity crisis as of late (Thanks to countless spin-offs, like Gunhazard), there has never been a better time for a Resident renaissance than now. Recent games like RE Zero have been high production values but suffer from “Been there, done that” predictability; however, Resident Evil 4 is the one to bring it all back. Within the first five minutes of picking up the controller, you will realize that this is the new genesis of survival-horror.

The story is simple: The president’s daughter has been kidnapped by a mysterious terrorist group, and Leon Kennedy is summoned (Unofficially, and in the blackest-op sense) to infiltrate the enemy stronghold, with the intent of locating and extracting the young Ashley Graham. This basic premise provides the backdrop against which 25-plus hours (You read that right) of the tightest, most tension-filled gameplay you’ve ever experienced unfolds.

What becomes obvious with very little play time is that RE4 addresses nearly every complaint the increasingly irritated gaming public has had with the series.

1) Gone are the leaden, remote-control-tank-like controls—RE producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi attributes this fix to an adjusted camera scheme. Unlike previous games, which were viewed from the standard third-person action perspective, RE4 creeps in a little closer on Leon, Sam Fisher-Style, especially while in combat mode. With his survival knife mapped to the L trigger and all guns on the R trigger (the camera is controlled with the left analog stick), attacking Leon’s enemies is a much more precise affair, which is important, given the rag-doll damage the new game engine allows for. Of course, the old reliable head shot still works, provided Leon’s using heavy metal (riot guns, Magnums, etc.), but with many enemies wearing helmets and protective gear, alternate measures must occasionally be taken. Targeting an enemies knees is a quick way to buckle them, while blowing off a character’s arms will cause him to drop his weapon. A new Shenmue-like action-button system requires players to hit a specific button or combination of buttons on order to kick the enemy away, knock down a ladder, or dodge an incoming boulder. It adds variety in places where there didn’t use to be any, and it keeps things fresh.

2) Inventory management is so user-friendly now, it’s practically sensible. Found items like herbs, grenades, and ammo can be seen lying around (aplenty, even) in the open or can be liberated from crates, barrels, cabinets, and other places. Animals, like snakes and chickens and fish, can even be shot, usually dropping an edible, health-restoring item in the process. However, if you don’t have enough room in your inventory, you can put the items down and leave them for later. Or you can use medicinal items on the spot. Keys, treasures, and other mission-specific items no longer take up inventory space, and saving is done ribbon-free now. Out with the item boxes of yesteryear and in with shrouded merchants who, in their best Down Under accents, offer you all manner of weapons, healing items, and inventory-expanding attaché cases for purchase. The items are financed in a variety of ways. Treasure maps highlighting areas where a rare gem or artifact might be hidden can be bought from the merchants. Finding these valuables, and even combining some of them for greater worth, helps Leon not only establish a greater arsenal but upgrade it as well. Weapon attributes like ammo count, reload time, and, of course, stopping power can all be upgraded multiple times. It’s this factor that gives RE4 an action-RPG quality that it’s never had before. Leon may not level up, but his gear does.

3) Presentation is king, and in this respect RE4 excels. If you can’t tell from the screenshots, you’ll believe it in motion: RE4 is the best-looking game around. Ninja Gaiden may look a bit slicker, but that game is made up almost entirely of fantasy-based environments. RE4 goes a step further by constructing a remote Spanish town, an accompanying forest area (which is nearly as dead as its inhabitants), gloomy lochs, mining shafts, ski lifts, watery dungeons, an incredibly ornate castle, and so much more. It’s not just the environments, but the details. One hallway in the castle, out of hundreds of hallways, will have dozens of paintings hanging from the walls, each of them unique. It’s worth it to stand around and point Leon’s gun at things just to marvel at the detail of everything. And then there are all the fantastic weather and lighting effects, and—believe it—mostly excellent voice acting too.

4) It’s unnervingly realistic when enemies bob and weave out of the line of Leon’s laser sight. It’s not exactly Halo 2-caliber A.I. he’s up against, but in the context of the game, it works great. At times, the feeling of oppression is almost overwhelming, and that’s impressive. This is most tangible when the player must control Ashley…using old-school RE controls. Armed with only a flashlight and crap controls, you’ll be begging to be back in Leon’s shoes, weapon in hand.

Of course, not everything is perfect. RE4 suffers from the KOTR effect in that every basic villager pack is made up of the same five models (although other enemies vary greatly), and the plot begins to drag after about, oh, the 15th hour, especially when some fool is documenting everything, leaving his notes out in plain sight for Leon to find. The level design occasionally resembles a NASCAR track, and it would have been nice if Leon had a strafe function. But these are minor nitpicks; RE4 is still magnificent. It’s a terrific showcase for the GameCube, and it’s every bit as worthy as the Halos, the GTAs, and the MGSes of this generation. This is a stunning return to form.

James Mielke

My take:

I'm tired of people always bitching about the controls. RE4 controls the exact same as all the others, only the camera is different.

From Lik-Sang

Resident Evil 4: Scaring the Hell out of GameCube Owners on January 11, 2005

The US version of Resident Evil 4 and the officially licensed Resident Evil 4 Chainsaw Controller for the GameCube are both coming in just a couple of days. Order your copy today and receive not only free shipping on the game, but also a free and exclusive Tokyo Sneak Peek DVD.

This won't be just another game release: on January 11th 2005, Capcom's latest installment in the series that originated the Survival-Horror genre is going to shake you to your very core. The arrival of Resident Evil 4 will have to be celebrated as an unique event in the history of the franchise. Producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi mentioned in a recent interview that he and developer master-mind Shinji Mikami were tired of making the same stuff over and over again after seven or so years of Resident Evil; instead, they chose to come up with something new and original, deciding to go in a new direction with this one.

Recreating the title, Capcom Production Studio 4 achieved a videogame experience so incredibly intense, it needs to be played behind closed curtains, in total darkness and with your doors locked shut. You might even want to tell your family and friends not to knock, that way keeping you from near heart failure while you're absorbed in the frightening on-screen action. It's a take-no-prisoners approach the developers were opting for: superb full-3D environments, the most gorgeous visuals Resident Evil has ever sported and a mysterious storyline that keeps you on the edge until the very end.

Umbrella is no more. The evil corporation that let loose a virus which turned every living thing in its reach into a mindless, brain-munching zombie or similar appalling creature, has been destroyed by the government inside out. The events in Resident Evil 4 take place some six years after RPD Officer Leon Kennedy first struggled with not quite dead beings in the second episode of the series. Now an US agent, Leon gets dispatched to Europe to find the kidnapped daughter of the president and in turn has to face something even worse than bio-chemical mutation.

There are new features as well as twists on ones used before. By far the most unexpected is the ability to purchase items from merchants. Some will even become allies and upgrade your weapons by increasing fire power and rate, reload speed plus ammo capacity. The weapons themselves boast individual strengths and weaknesses, so efficiency of use requires some strategic planning when committing to an upgrade. Furthermore, Capcom has changed inventory management. Items will now take up space in relation to their size and can be carried around in attaché cases this time.

Never before seen enemies will make organized attacks, while the advanced AI lends an eerie sense of realism to this game, that you almost wish wouldn't be there. Provided there is a typewriter nearby, players can now save their games as many times as they want, whenever they want. There's no need to hoard ink ribbons anymore. Simply locate save points using the in-game map, where said typewriters are highlighted. At the end of each level, the game will automatically save your progress and should the disgusting monstrosities you encounter get the better of you, you won't have to backtrack as much as in earlier RE titles. After locating Ashley, the president's daughter, Leon has to offer protection and they will need to work together to solve puzzles and challenges scattered throughout the game.

Better get your component and HDTV capable TV all set up, this game will blow you away with its excellent graphics and fear-inducing soundtrack: RE4 sure never looked so good on GameCube before! To give you an idea how fantastic this title plays and provide you with a taste of the dense atmosphere, view some tasty movies below (Windows Media Player):

• E3 2004 Trailer

• GDC 2004 Trailer

• Tokyo Game Show 2004 Trailer

• Shinji Mikami Direct Feed #1

• Shinji Mikami Direct Feed #2

For those who prefer to play Resident Evil 4 as it was intended - uncensored and completely uncut - the US version is the one to go for. It will arrive on January 11, a Saturday, and should be particularly interesting for European, Australian and even Asian import gamers (yes, even some of our Japanese customers order the US version).

We can't say for sure, but one might expect some heavy cuts to happen to a title of such violent nature for its future PAL release. And considering the fact that the Japanese copy will only be available some weeks later, we recommend you don't wait to join the very first who will play this truly terrifying Action/Adventure masterpiece by preordering Resident Evil 4 US now for only US$ 59.90 (shipped!).

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Tue, 2005-01-04 @ 02:54 PM

I'm tired of people always bitching about the controls. RE4 controls the exact same as all the others, only the camera is different.

[post=127087]Quoted post[/post]​

From my understanding, most people's complaints about controls were with the controls of the original game. As far as I know, the controls since RE: Outbreak, have been the controls of the likes of Mario 64.

From my understanding, most people's complaints about controls were with the controls of the original game. As far as I know, the controls since RE: Outbreak, have been the controls of the likes of Mario 64.

I haven't played RE Outbreak, but since it was the last RE game released, you're really only talking about one game.

Personally, I've never had a problem with RE's controls. I do prefer 'subjective' style controls for games like Silent Hill or MGS, but those controls wouldn't really work too well with all the quick camera cuts RE does. You'd be running forwards and then suddenly find yourself running backwards. I've never really been able to understand why people have a problem with the controls in RE games. Up=move forward, down=move backward. That's the way Quake does it, and you don't hear people complaining about that. :ph34r:

Originally posted by it290@Tue, 2005-01-04 @ 11:21 PM

You'd be running forwards and then suddenly find yourself running backwards. I've never really been able to understand why people have a problem with the controls in RE games. Up=move forward, down=move backward. That's the way Quake does it, and you don't hear people complaining about that. :ph34r:

[post=127120]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, good point :) The GTA series before III also had the same control. Micro-machines, same control. Tomb Raider, same control. The list goes on. IMO, the reason why RE is constantly targeted is because people may be so clumsy as to run into the zombies all the time, that they blame the controls, rather than their judgement/ themselves.

The thing with Outbreak is that you can choose between Resdient Evil, or Devil May Cry controls.

Whenever I play the game (I'll get the HDD first of course), I'm obviously going to select RE.

On the N64 version of RE2, it's the same deal as Outbreak. I tried playing with the new controls, but it just felt so weird, that I stayed wtih the good ol' usual RE controls.

It's funny that tha N64 version of the game is the best version of RE2. :p

It had everything the PSX original had.

The only thing the N64 version didn't have was Extreme Battle mode. That was the mini-game later added the PSX re-release.

It still has the Hunk and Tofu mini-games, plus, you could change the color of the blood to either, Red, Blue, Green, or Off. Another cool thing was after you beat the game, you could turn a random item option on, and all the items would be in different places ala RE: Director's Cut.

Best of all, they added a bunch of other files called "EX Files" that help bridge the stories of RE2, RE: Nemesis, and RE: CV together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back