Resident Evil 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud121

Established Member
Oh god... Did I really just put "Official Thread"? Is this GameFAQs now or something?

Anyway, I got tired of always posting in the thread about RE4 for Sony's console. *Shudder*

I figured I'd just put all RE4 related stuff in here.

Times spent playing the demo.

First Demo Playthrough (11-9-04)

There hasn't been a new Resident Evil title since 2000, with the release of Resident Evil: CODE Veronica for the Sega Dreamcast.  Sure, you can count RE0, as it came out in 2002 for GameCube, but I'm talking the continuation of the series.  No prequels (RE0), remakes (Resident Evil), or side stories (Gun Survivor, Gun Survivor 2, Dead Aim, Outbreak, Gaiden).

That is to change come January 11, 2005 when Resident Evil 4 is released on Nintendo GameCube.

One of the most, and my most, anticipated titles in history, it's sure to make a big splash as it features a completely overhauled gameplay system.  While some RE fanatics (such as myself) were aghast that Mikami was going to change things around, once we looked at everything, and saw how it was going to turn out, we were elated.  Something fresh and new finally.

After months of watching trailers, reading previews, looking at screenshots, and proclaiming it as "Game of The Year 2005", Capcom released a demo in a special "Capcom Issue" of Famitsu.  $40 seemed a bit steep for it all ($20 for the magazine/disc, and $20 for the Freeloader), so I had decided against importing the demo.

Luckily, that all changed tonight.  Talking to Brandon, I asked him if GameStop had the RE4 demo in, as I had heard Nintendo of America was sending out demo discs with the game to GameStops and Electronics Boutiques nationwide.  He gave me the good news earlier this afternoon.

I headed straight for GameStop from school.  I got there, and trying to make my way through the maze of Halo 2 fanatics, I noticed someone was using the 'Cube kiosk.  I was clearly annoyed, and ready to throw him to the ground.  I didn't want anything to stand between me and my finally playing RE4.  Luckily, I only had to wait about five minutes, and I was on the 'Cube in an instant.  Finally...  Since January I had dreamed of this as I was finally playing RE4!

I knew the game looked good, but wow!  It looked much better coming off a TV screen as opposed to a computer monitor (It's usually the other way around...), and it controlled EXACTLY as I thought it would.  I had the controls down in less than ten seconds.  Running Leon around a bit, I was still in awe at the fact I was actually playing the game.  I knew the demo like the back of my hand, due to my watching so much footage of the game up to this point.

Heading into the first house, I was anxiously awaiting meet that first Ganado in front of his fireplace.  Watching the cut scene of him attacking Leon, I aimed my pistol, shot him a few times, and killed him.  The targeting system was also just as I had imagined it would be.

Following the path a bit, killing a few Ganado here and there, I finally got the village where all hell breaks loose.  Once again, exactly like in all the videos of the game I had seen, you're just swarmed by villagers.  I ran into a few houses, got a few things, all while getting attacked left and right, and my killing them left and right.

Luckily, avoiding villagers, I grinned as I heard the infamous chainsaw.  The one guy that was hard as hell to kill, the sack wearing chainsaw villager.  He cut my head off more than I had liked.

Repeat the above four paragraphs over and over for about an hour and a half.

On my final playthrough, (after several failed attempts to kill the chainsaw guy), I thought I had him.  How the in the hell can he stand up to four shotgun shells, two grenades, and half a clip from my pistol?!  I know you can kill him (I hear it takes about seven direct shots from the shotgun to take him down), but argh!

I'm gonna take him down for good when I head back tomorrow.

Second Demo Playthrough (11-10-04):

I asked Brandon if he could give me a ride to GameStop after school.  I kept asking if Cody was working, because he's a real asshole towards me, and I knoew he'd kick me off the machine.  Luckily, Coday wasn't there, it was just Aaron, he's a pretty cool guy.

Anyway, today I went back to GameStop after school, and gave the demo a couple more rounds.  I let another person play mid-way through my first round.

Second round was great.  I managed to really speed through the demo.  Everything went by very quickly, so the chainsaw guy showed up sooner.

I managed to take him down this time.  I whipped out my shotgun, and blasted him to the ground.  A bunch of other villagers were heading my way, so I blasted them as well, the spray from those shots hitting the chainsaw guy.  I managed to get another direct hit on him, before retreating.  Equipping my grenades, I threw 'em, and all three were direct hits.  I ran around a bit afterwards, just avoiding the villagers, and just barely dodging the chainsaw as it was being swung at my head a couple times.  Equipping my pistol I fired a few rounds at the chainsaw guy, but I hit other villagers instead.  I was out of ammo!

I managed to run around the village a bit, avoiding everyone, looking for ammo.  I managed to find a single clip for my pistol.  10 shots, had to make 'em count.  I managed to get to a spot where I could see 'em all.  I aimed, and fired three times at the chainsaw guy, and he hit the ground.  He was dead.  I killed a couple other villagers before the demo ended.

I grinned as I had managed to survive it all, listening to the bell ring, watching the villagers drop their weapons, and head for the cathedral.

Leon:  "Where's everyone going?  Bingo?"

End Demo.

What a rush...

Looking forward to going back on Friday.

Third Time (11-12-04):

I headed to GameStop yet again to play the demo some more, I only played one round though, because Cody was there <_<, and I didn't wanna get kicked off for playing for too long.

I completely breezed through it this time.  You know how there's only a small group of villagers before everyone comes after you?  I was able to kill just about the whole initial group (save for two or three) before things got crowded.  Quickly grabbing the shotgun and grenades, I jumped out of the window, equipped my shotgun, turned around, and aimed for the chainsaw guy.  Sprayed him.  Second shot.  Direct hit.  I had to shoot down a couple other villagers before he got up again.  I shot him one more time with the last shell (a direct) hit before equipping my grenades and retreating.

I threw all three of my fire grenades, and one of 'em missed, but managed to get him slightly, the other two were direct hits and knocked him down, and killed several villagers.

Out of fire grenades, and I equipped my lone explosive grenade, and tossed it at 'em.  BOOM!  He was out, I had killed him.  Again. He didn't even get near me this time :D

I managed to dodge the villagers a bit more, equipped my pistol, and started shooting.  I was amazed at how few ther were.  I was thinking "Can I do it?  Can I really kill every one of 'em?"

I managed to get the group down to three before the bell rang, and they all headed for the cathdral.

Several people say that there's not enough ammo in the game to kill everyone.  There is, it just depends on two scenarios:

1.  Not every enemy drops ammo. (Most common)

2.  Just about everybody drops handgun ammo (Less common)

I ran out of ammo with the three remaining, but I had remembered that I had found another clip in a box somewhere.  The bell rang just as I turned around to go get it.

Interviews:

GW: Why the sudden announcement to make it on PS2?

Kobayashi: In order to help stablize our revenue and create better relations with shareholders and increase the value of our stock we chose to port RE4. It was purely a business decesion.

GW: Despite your previous claims on RE4 being GC exclusive.

Kobayashi: When I made those comments, I was am the acting producer on RE4. Having said that, at the time it was a choice we made that RE4 could generate a profit (break even) on the GC. And as a producer, that is my only concern. For the game to be reputable and generate pure profit. And I believe it could have. But there are other factors that were outside of the development staff that caused the game to be ported. This deceision was made by non-developers, those who's job is to ensure the Capcom's future finicial sucess. Apparently, the PS2 was seen as extra profit, and thus we were told to port it. My say is only limited, but at the time, and my perspective I was 100% confident and sure it would remain GC exclusive.

GW: Forever?

Kobayashi: As far as I was concerned, sure. But keep in mind, the PS2 port will come 3 to 5 Quarters after the GC release. In our relationship with Nintendo, they still see this game as Nintendo Exclusive.

GW: Can you comment on these rumors about many of the design staff leaving.

Kobayashi: Personally, I'm upset with Capcom's deceision but as a producer I understand where they are coming from.  Regarding the other staff, this isn't a rumor. It's truth. They are moving to Clover Studios. However, that is still a studio that is onwed by Capcom. It's a part of Capcom. Profits and pubslishing is still from Capcom etc.

GW: So Mikami is done with the RE series?

Kobyashi: I do not know. Depending on how well some of our newer large titles sell (DMC3 and Viewtiful Joe 2) determine a lot of future things. I cannot say. But if  Mikami wanted to , he can and very well make another RE game. Clover studios has full access to the licensing equipment, brands etc that belong to Capcom, and obviously vice-versa. That is why Dante was in Viewtiful Joe (ps2-port). Dante belongs to Capcom but Clover still has rights to him just like any other Capcom Studio.

GW: Is it ture that many of the design staff is upset with the higher "ups" at Capcom.

Kobayashi: No. Definantly not. And Never. They are all hardworking people and ultimately, they all want their game to be played by more people than not. We understand that some Nintendo fans are upset, but that is their problem. They need to understand that a company must maximize each games profit to stablize revenue and generate a higher return so we can continue to make quality and ground-breaking games.

GW: You talk about maxing out each game's potential revenue, so why don't you consider porting the DMC series to Gamecube? Being that it's a multi-million+seller, it could certainly find a home on the GC console as DMC and RE are very similar games in terms of target audience and fan base.

Kobayashi: This could happen at many requests...

GW: And finally, what do you have to say to those that are thrilled about the news, those that are concerned for Capcom, and those that aren't so glad to hear what has happened.

Kobayashi: Re4 has been designed for the Gamecube. Beyond that I cannot say more. But certainly keep that in mind. It will also appear on the GC early 2005, almost a year before the PS2 port. That is still exclusive in business relation terms. We only do this to stablize more profit, so that we can create stronger games and help prepare us for the large R&D costs that come with the next-generation consoles. We hope you'll play RE4, it's a great game I am truly proud of. Please, be optimistic that the RE series will now expand to greater lengths and more people can be introduced to the game series they all know and love, and help support.

Game Informer:

I have to admit, when I first got wind of the changes Capcom was planning on for Resident Evil 4, I was a bit worried.  It’s not too often that a major overhaul of a beloved franchise ends up being the right move to make.  Well, after having sat down with the latest build of the game I can safely say that my concerns have gone out the window.  Not only is the game shaping up to be one of the best GameCube titles to date, it’s also shaping up to be perhaps the best Resident Evil game as well.  Masterful storytelling, a menacing atmosphere, and tons of new gameplay features really vault the game into that class of top-tier experiences and we can’t wait to get our hands on the final version of the game.

First of all, I won’t go spoiling the entire storyline of the build that I played.  But I will let you in on a few key plot points.  The game starts off with Leon Kennedy being dropped off in a remote Spanish village by a couple of police officers.  Leon’s been charged with retrieving the kidnapped daughter of the President and intelligence points to the village as the place where she’s being held.  But, as misfortune would have it, the villagers seem to be out of their minds and have been reduced to homicidal maniacs.  After battling it out through some different village locations, including a farm and some subterranean caves, Leon learns that there seems to be a mysterious cult behind all of the incidents in the village.  The village has been working with the cult, mainly through the influence of its ogre of a mayor.

That’s the plot in a nutshell of the demo I played.  I’m sorry if I don’t disclose the entire storyline, but I really think that it’s something that you need to experience for yourself.  There are plenty of surprises and shocks along the way, including the appearance of an ex-Spanish cop by the name of Luis and some other shadowy figures.  But, for all that I don’t say about the game’s story, I can reiterate enough the fact that the game is really pushing the limits in terms of plot in respect to a Resident Evil title.  The “learn as you go” plot features really help to create a game that is oozing with atmosphere and mystery and that kind of experience is admittedly rare these days.

And then there’s the gameplay.  To say that Resident Evil 4 is breaking away from the mold of previous games is like saying that Associate Editor Jeremy Zoss only smells bad “most of the time.”  The first thing you’ll notice is the new camera viewpoint in the game, which mainly adheres to an over the shoulder perspective.  It took me a little time to get used to the new camera since it makes it a bit difficult to see things on the ground around you, but after some time I really began to like it.  And since most of the action happens above the waist (not that kind of action!), it really doesn’t become much of a problem unless you’re really taking part in tons of item collection.  The new 3D control, which is replacing the awkward “down means forward, and vice versa,” really helps to make the new perspective highly intuitive and user friendly.

While running around, Leon has a host of different moves available to him.  The basics include things like running, walking, and aiming his weapons, which is mapped to the Right trigger.  The coolest movement features comes in the new Action system.  During key moments of the game button(s) will appear on-screen which you need to mash for a certain amount of time.  This is used for things like sprinting away form danger, swimming through the water, jumping through a window, using doors, and even knocking down ladders around you.  The nicest thing about the Action system is that it doesn’t overwhelm you.  Like I said before, it only appears every now and then, leaving the crux of the gameplay left to standard movement and actions.  But, for those moments where they do appear, they really help add a sense of panic and emergency to what you’re doing on-screen.  The first time you have to outrun a giant boulder bearing down on you by smashing the A button repeatedly, you’ll really gain a better understanding of what it is to want to survive.

To compliment Leon’s new freedom of movement is also his heavier proficiency with firearms.  When you start the game you have a standard handgun and a survival knife, which aren’t too shabby in keeping you alive.  Along the way you’ll gain access to a pretty diverse assortment of other firearms, including a shotgun, rifle, machine gun, and even a rocket launcher.  Each weapon comes complete with its own unique strengths and weaknesses and you’ll need to quickly learn which weapons are appropriate for each combat situation.  Also new is the ability to upgrade your weapons in a number of different categories, including overall power, firing rate, and clip capacity.  With the right tuning, the standard handgun can become a formidable weapon capable of taking down even the heartiest of enemies.  Weapons can also be upgraded with various parts, such as a scope for the rifle (for some fun sniping sessions) and silencers and hilts for your handguns and machineguns.  But, all of the upgrades come with a price.

Throughout your adventure you’ll run across little chest full of money.  They range in denomination, and can be found almost everywhere including boxes, crates, and even are dropped by killed animals, but all are essential for weapon purchases and upgrades.  These kinds of transactions come in the form of the merchant, a shadowy figure that you’ll run across every now and then. 

While he doesn’t sell any wares such as healing items (and admittedly, you’ll find plenty anyway), he does stock a nice assortment of firearms and can upgrade your weapons to be more powerful.  He also stocks attaché cases, which are probably the most essential items in the game.  When you start your journey you can only hold a certain number of items.  In fact, your inventory screen is broken down into “blocks” and it’s up to you to arrange your items to take best advantage of whatever space you have.  While in the inventory menu you can select an item by using the X button and then move it around and rotate it to try and squeeze as much room out of your carrying capacity as possible.  In all respects, the inventory screen is sort of like a puzzle in and of itself and being able to maximize the space you have is vital to survival.  This rings especially true when you start buying new weapons that take more space to hold, so don’t find it a shock when you start having to sell old or less used firearms to make room for the new ones.

So far all of the pieces of the puzzle seem to really be coming together well in Resident Evil 4.  While it did take me some time to get used to the controls, I eventually found them enjoyable to use.  The item management and purchasing systems also seem to work quite well, adding a nice dose of originality in a franchise that really needed it.  But the most impressive aspect so far has to be the game’s visuals.  The GameCube is capable of some mighty fine graphics and Resident Evil 4 could become the flag bearer of the system in this respect.  Character models are incredibly detailed, right down to realistic face mapping and animations, both of which give both allies and enemies a most decidedly human look. 

The game is also sporting some impressive particle effects, whether it be the sparkle of a fuse on a piece of TNT or the flash of gunfire that illuminates the walls of a subterranean cave.  Levels have also gotten a lot of attention, particularly the expansiveness of the areas that you’ll explore.  Compared to the limiting confines that you had to deal with in the first game, the degree of freedom in movement that you’ll have in exploration is unprecedented in terms of being a RE title.

When it comes to audio, Resident Evil 4 is also touting some impressive features.  Enemies cackle and scream with startling realism and guns fire with a nice “pop.”  While our build of the game was a “work in progress” and didn’t have all of the final sound effects and voice-over dialogue implemented, what we did hear was pretty nice.  Be sure to really crank up the volume when you face the first “boss” in the game, a gigantic mutated fish.  The beast breaches the water and splashes about with thunderclap ferocity and will really surprise you.

Overall, my time with the latest build of Resident Evil 4 has gotten me really excited for the final product.  All of the new features in the game, such as the inventory management, new camera, and item buying have really combined to form one heck of a good time.  And, it doesn’t hurt that the game is probably one of the most visually impressive titles on the GameCube.  If Capcom can stick to its January 11th release date for the game, I expect that I may be coming down with some sort of “illness” on the couple of days afterwards; because honestly, it’s looking to be just that good.

We recently had the chance to pose some questions to Hiroyuki Kobayashi, Producer of the game.

Game Informer Online: Recently Capcom announced that in the game you’ll be able to buy items from shopkeepers.  Could you explain this feature more fully?  What sort of currency will you use and where will you find it?  How do you track down shopkeepers and how often to they appear throughout the game?

Kobayashi: The game uses a currency called pesetas and you can find it on shelves, in wooden boxes, or get it from enemies. Once you get far enough into the game, you’ll come across a weapons merchant in a cutscene. After that, they’ll pop up in various parts throughout the game. There are several in the town, so you’ll come across them more than once.

GI: Touching on the previous question, Capcom also announced that you’ll be able to upgrade your weapons in the game.  Does this apply to all weapons that you can find or just a select few?  For example, will I be able to upgrade a rocket launcher, or just regular weapons like my handgun or shotgun?  What sort of requirements must I meet before I can upgrade my weapons?

Kobayashi: Although you can’t upgrade the rocket launcher, most of the other weapons are upgradeable. All you’ll need to upgrade them is money.

GI: Capcom recently announced a new save feature that will let you save the game at any typewriter, without having to use ink ribbons.  It was also announced that the game will save at the beginning of most levels.  Why did you decide to make these changes?  Was it to make the game less difficult?  Will multiple difficulty levels still be a part of the game?

Kobayashi: The rhythm for the game is much different than previous titles. The pacing is very fast this time around, so saving also serves to give the player a short break. The difficulty level will adjust automatically to the skill level of the person playing.

GI: Throughout the years, the Resident Evil franchise has managed to create a very distinct “look” for its games.  Do you think that the new look of Resident Evil 4 will work well in evolving the game to a new level?  Do you think that the new visual presentation will turn off any gamers who are still looking for that classic Resident Evil look?

Kobayashi: Among the fully-3D games out in the market right now, I think this ranks very high. But gone are the beautiful pre-rendered scenes like in past RE games, which I know a lot of people loved. I felt the graphics on RE (remake) and RE 0 for the GameCube were especially great. On the other hand, I think the graphics in RE 4, especially the new fully 3D engine, have a lot of great qualities as well.  I am sure a lot of people will enjoy them as well.

GI: Do you think the new open environments will be a benefit or an advantage for Resident Evil 4?  Previous games used tight quarters to create a more claustrophobic and tension filled mood.  Will the new open environments detract from this experience?

Kobayashi: Although there are still some tight, close-quarters areas in RE4, the more open environments present their own new sense of horror and tension, which I think will come across when you play. It’ll make you more excited and more tense than ever before.

GI: In this latest installment, the controls seem to be quite a bit more responsive and intuitive than they have been in the past.  Why did Capcom wait so long to change them?  Was it a technology issue or one more focused on convenience?

Kobayashi: The controls are still the same as before. What’s changed is that we have changed the camera for RE4, which has made it easier to control. This was more a matter of the style chosen for each game, rather than anything technological.

GI: The Resident Evil franchise is known for having lots of bonus content, whether it be extra playable characters or challenging mini-games and quests.  Will we be seeing any of these features in Resident Evil 4?

Kobayashi: Yes, there will be plenty to enjoy.

GI: Lately more and more details about Ashley have been coming out, especially those dealing with controlling her and keeping her safe.  Could you explain this system a bit more in-depth?  What sort of actions is she capable of performing and can she actually fend for herself, or will we be babysitting her most of the game?

Kobayashi: You can only control Ashley for one section, but it’s a lot of fun. But the thing is, she’s just a college student, so she can’t really wield firearms or anything. What she does is use her environment to avoid the enemy. For the majority of the game where she appears, she’ll be following Leon around, and there are a lot of situations where, as Leon, you will have to protect her and save her.

GI: A lot of press around the game has been centered on the new “Action” response system of performing moves and other maneuvers.  What sort of things will the Action system include besides jumping through windows, opening doors, and avoiding enemy attacks?

Kobayashi: You can run as a giant boulder tumbles down after you, move down from high places, attack enemies in certain ways, and more.

GI: The Umbrella Corporation has been a mainstay of the Resident Evil series, but it appears so far that they’re going to not be a part of Resident Evil 4.  Do you think that this omission will affect how gamers react to the game?  Do you consider Umbrella to be an integral part of the game series or a feature that has worn out its welcome?

Kobayashi: If you want to know about Umbrella, you’ll have to play the game. These new enemies are interesting because they are strange and unknown, so unlike with Umbrella, you never what could happen next, or what’s lurking behind the door.

GI: What are your thoughts on the current crop of Resident Evil feature films?  Have you seen any of them and if so, what did you think?  Do you consider them to be legitimate entries in the Resident Evil universe?

Kobayashi: I was involved with “Resident Evil 2: Apocalypse” a little, working as Associate Producer. It was definitely more of an action movie, with Jill and the Nemesis, so it ties in more with RE 3. Personally I would have liked to see Jill have a bit of a bigger piece of the action.

GI:   Regarding the Resident Evil franchise as a whole, how do you feel the series has evolved throughout the years?  What sorts of things from the series have had a major impact on the video game industry, either in function or practice?

Kobayashi: The big change or evolution is with RE4. There were a lot of RE titles not in the actual numeric series, and it was more scattered than showing some kind of drastic evolution. Well, I guess you could say that RE is an established brand, almost a genre of its own.  When it comes to survival horror, RE is still on top.

GI:  Concerning other survival horror games, do you have any favorites that you like to play in your spare time?  What sorts of other horror games in the market have caught your attention lately?  Do you think the genre has moved forward in the past few years?  Also, what sort of things to do you want to see in future survival horror games?

Kobayashi: I don’t really pay attention to the other survival horror games out there. I mean, I know there are horror games out there and there are a lot of games that really do a good job of pulling off the horror part well, which is good. But for RE, I think it’s a great game, not just a great ‘survival horror’ game, and I plan on keeping it that way in the future.

GI:   How do you feel about the Nintendo DS and the Sony PSP?

Kobayashi: It will be interesting to see how the systems sell and how each company acts. I’m very impressed. It makes me want to make something for them.

GI:  What are your thoughts on taking the Resident Evil universe to handheld gaming devices?  If so, which system do you think would be the best fit, the DS or the PSP?

Kobayashi: I think if you’re going to go portable, you have to think about how to craft the experience into something that you can’t do at home on a console.  It’s all up to how you handle it.

GI:  What sort of plans do you have for Resident Evil after the release of Resident Evil 4?  Will another game be coming along quickly or do you plan on taking a break for awhile?

Kobayashi: We haven’t decided anything on it yet, so we have a long way to go on it.

GI: Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

Marketing:

Capcom Entertainment today announced a new national marketing campaign to support the much-anticipated release of Resident Evil 4 for the Nintendo GameCube.

The title will be featured in New York's Times Square on the Nasdaq building's jumbo monitor. Expected to reach more than millions of the Xmas and New Year's time frame, the advertisments will be featured from December 22nd to January 2nd. 170 million consumer impressions are estimated, as the feature spot will be generated approximately 50 times a day on the jumbotron. These initiatives will also be backed by online programs, print (such as EGM, Game Informer, FHM, GamePro, and Rolling Store), and online advertising via http://www.residentevil.com as well as retail and promotional partnerships.

In addition, the massive TV ad campaign will consist of :30 and :15 second spots aimed at the adult markets, ages 18 to 34, and will appear on cable networks such as Spike TV, Comedy Central, ESPN, MTV, and G4TechTV.

"A revolutionary title of this caliber deserves an equally significant marketing campaign," said Todd Thorson, director of marketing, Capcom USA. "With Capcom's debut in Times Square and the myriad other plans we have lined up, Resident Evil 4 will receive the most dynamic marketing campaign we have ever created."

Resident Evil 4 is still scheduled for a January 11th release in the United States.

You can pre-order the game from GameStop and EBGames. If you pre-order in store, you can get a playable demo of the game.

RE4_Demo.jpg

You can also get the Collector's Edition exclusively from GameStop. With it, you get:

RE4

RE4 Red Tin

RE4 Laser Cell

RE4 Artbook

RE and RE: A Soundtracks

If you pre-order from Capcom, you get an artbook, and an RE4 T-Shirt. Pre-order from some other place like NCSX, or Play-Asia, you get an Umbrella Inc. umbrella.

Section I: Plot

Leon Scott Kennedy, a survivor from the events of Resident Evil 2, is now in the secret service, and under a direct order from the President to save his daughter, Ashley Graham, from what seems to be an area in Spain. Upon arriving, he is attacked by the villagers...

Section II: Characters

Leon Scott Kennedy-The main character of this game, he is now working in the Secret Service and is under the direct order of the President to save his daughter, Ashley Graham.

Luis Sera-Not much is known about him, but he seems to be a cop who knows of the viral outbreak incident which occured in Raccoon city.

Ashley Graham-Kidnapped under unknown circumstances. She also seems to have contracted whatever is affecting the villagers.

Ganado-They are the villagers who are seemingly affected by an unknown factor. The males use any variety of weapons including pitchforks, hand axes, molotovs, and even grabbing onto you to slam you into the ground. The Females mainly slam you and use knives.

Ingrid Hunnigan: She will help Leon throughout his mission.

Lord Satler-The Head of a strange cult.

Ada Wong: She saves Leon from the grasp of the Village Elder.

Section III: Gameplay

This chapter of the RE series introduces many changes to the stale formula in the other games.

1. The Camera is now fixed behind Leon's shoulder.

2. Instead of Pre-rendering, the environments are now in full 3D.

3. The 'A' Button will serve as the action button.

4. The Inventory space now holds items much like Diablo's system. How much space you have depends on where you place it, and how big the items are.

5. Holding R results in Leon drawing his weapon, then allowing you to aim at specific body parts of the enemy.

6. Combining herbs now seems to result in the creation of First aid sprays.

7. There are certain Ganado who will sell you items when other Ganado are not looking. You will use Pesetas to purchase items such as ammo and herbs, and to upgrade you weapon's capabilities. If the Ganado traders die, they are gone permanently.

8. So far, there is one confirmed vehicle that you can drive, which is a motorboat.

9. Very soon into the game, you free a dog/wolf from a bear trap. There is also a 'whistle' item. What the dog/wolf does is still unknown.

10. At least 23 weapons are confirmed, with a handgun, magnum, uzi, rocket launcher, knife, sniper rifle, and grenades being shown so far.

11. Confirmed areas are: The Village, a lake, a cave, a forest, a quarry, and the castle.

Section IV: Miscellaneous

1. A demo of RE4 can be obtained from the Pure-evil pack, which contains RE, REØ, and the demo itself. However, this seems to be an early build of the game. *UPDATE* The demo is not contained in the pack itself but through the mail after registration.

2. A chainsaw controller is available for the GC, though it seems very hard to use. Picture here.

3. RE4 is currently scheduled for release on:

NA:1/11/05

EU:3/18/05

JP:1/27/05

4. A demo of RE4 can be obtained by pre-ordering from EBgames.

The PS2 port will come sometime near the end of 2005. <_<

i have to say, that is the longest initial post I have ever read. Man, you lost me a liitle of the way in.

As for my 2 cents, the demo is pretty awesome. Personally, I wish they would have thrown the endings of RE 0-CV on the disc; instead of the included opening videos. And Rolf, why do you have such an issue with RE:0. At this point, it seems to be more of a part of the RE story than 4.

I have a problem with RE0 as not only is it one of the worst games in the series, it also breaks the storylines to both RE1 and 2.

Originally posted by axelblazeadam@Sat, 2004-12-18 @ 10:26 PM

I have a problem with RE0 as not only is it one of the worst games in the series, it also breaks the storylines to both RE1 and 2.

[post=126014]Quoted post[/post]​

How?

I don't remember that much from RE0 (Surprising... Considering how much I love the damn series... :p )

Yeah, it's quite strange for someone to have such a fixation on a game that is not either an online FPS, or an online RPG.

Your somewhat of a paradox, cloud :p

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Sun, 2004-12-19 @ 07:52 AM

How?

I don't remember that much from RE0 (Surprising... Considering how much I love the damn series... :p )

[post=126026]Quoted post[/post]​

Here's some I can think off right now:

Rebecca goes from Gun toting bad ass in RE0 to a mousy wimp in RE1.

The locations in RE2 appearing as linked to those in RE0 even though the virus hasn't reached that part yet as in the RE2 storyline it was spread when William became G.

You face a more powerful tyrant in RE0 then the one Wesker gets all excited about in RE1.

Plus the biggest flaw of all as far as I'm concerned is that RE0 shouldn't exist at all, because RE1 states that once Bravo teams helicopter crashed they headed straight to the mansion.

There's probably even more problems than that when compared with the PS\Saturn original, as they obviously tried to remove these plot problems in the remake.

Of course this wouldn't matter so much if I liked the game itself, but compared to other games in series I just didn't enjoy it.

Heh...

Yeah, I heard about that, I'm actually not that interested. ;)

Okay.. I decided to make a site. It's pretty blah in terms of style, but content wise, I gave it all I could.

I'll post the link as soon as I get it.

The giant troll-like creature.

I didn't make the poll, it was pre-selected from a list of polls I could pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back