Return Fire?

Well, we could try to ask Sega or Tectoy. Lets hope for the best. A petition? Could work. I can spread it for you so you will get loads of signs.

Why won´t they let you release it anyway? I don´t think they have any use for it...

I was under the impression that you had permission and it was all a matter of timing the release. We were also going to buy a packaged CD.

Funny how things change.

Originally posted by mal@Oct 5, 2003 @ 04:11 AM

I was under the impression that you had permission and it was all a matter of timing the release. We were also going to buy a packaged CD.

Funny how things change.

Yes, i have the permission by email...

But that is much too unsafe for me to release it and the guys at Prolific said i must not release it until they gave me the written permission managed by their lawyer...

And i´m waiting for this written permission since 4 months...

You could always just 'leak' it and blame Outlook and l33t h4x0r5.

If that sort of fuck up is good enough for Valve... :lol:

I still feel sorry for valve, even if it was stupidity. Its not just a game leak. Its the source...

The Chief of an online magazine will contact Prolific for the permission or any info on how to get on...maybe he has more power/privilege to do that...

You may have the permission of the developer, but you don't have the permission of Sega. Try and release a game without their permission, and trying to get around their copyright protection, and you'll be sued. :(

Yes there are files too. Its quite complex really, very clever. Still, the only system with uncopyable games was Jaguar... what an encryption! Yeah, I know there are workarounds now, but there were NEVER pirate jag carts.

By the way, where the hell did sega-saturn.info go???? Its your site, isn't it? I just get some odd Star Trek thing come up :unsure:

I think a good option to have working new Saturn games is to bundle them with Action Replay like cartridge to boot executable from CD.

This will avoid security check, and in addition will render pirate copies useless, if some critical pieces of code or data are placed on cart (think KOF95/Ultraman).

Hm... The max addressable size of cartridge is 16MB, which should be enough for code, graphics and sfx of game like return fire. And music could be played form a regular audio CD. So... even if you can't read data from CD, it's not a stop for new Saturn game. Fur sure it won't work for existing Saturn game which needs large space for data on CD.

The max addressable size of cartridge is 16MB, which should be enough for code, graphics and sfx of game like return fire.

Really the addressable limit isn't much of a problem; if it ends up being bigger than 16MB you have many options including using a banking mechanism (I think a simple banking mechanism can be done with just two 74HCxxx chips on the Saturn cart slot), DiskOnChip, CompactFlash, etc. The main limitation would be the cost of the ROM itself.

Originally posted by dhau@Jul 16, 2004 @ 11:59 AM

Hm... The max addressable size of cartridge is 16MB, which should be enough for code, graphics and sfx of game like return fire. And music could be played form a regular audio CD. So... even if you can't read data from CD, it's not a stop for new Saturn game. Fur sure it won't work for existing Saturn game which needs large space for data on CD.

Hmm you got a point there. Release new games on cart :D

There's a lot of games around that could fit on those 16 mb. (or is that meg?) Like that unreleased clockwork knight game..which is only 5 or so..

Wouldn't that be kind of, umm, prohibitive? I mean as far as actually releasing a game on a scale larger than "I built me a cart and putted a game on it!".

I wouldn't hold your breath - it's been over 2 years since Mr. Saturn first mentioned releasing this game. :/

Back