Running SaturnOrbit project on actual hardware?

After some experimentation, the problem is most likely in my code. I substituted my 0.bin with .bin files from VF2 and VF2 ran no problem. Then I found some of Rockin' B's samples that actually worked on hardware. The first samples I had tried when I first started didn't work so I assumed it affected all of them. So that's good to know.

So at least now I have a baseline of something that works and I'll compare what I have with it.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks!

I've sent a mail to cafe-alpha's page about a preordering dev cart. Is that the only one of that type that exists?

Is setting up a gouraud table a requirement? I'm trying to figure out why some of Rockin-B's demos work on hardware and I'm not finding a lot of differences in his approach other than that. I'll keep looking.

Setting up a gouraud table is not a requirement. It could also be that the game itself is crashing.

The USB DataLink is also another option, but compared to the antime's USB dev cart, it's very slow. I get about 7KiB/s.

Actually, it's not crashing. Everything is just black. As I mentioned earlier, I can print text on screen and I can change the text every frame. I just can't see anything else. Sprites are RGB so I shouldn't be having any black palette issues with them. Backgrounds use a palette, though.

Actually, it's not crashing. Everything is just black. As I mentioned earlier, I can print text on screen and I can change the text every frame. I just can't see anything else. Sprites are RGB so I shouldn't be having any black palette issues with them. Backgrounds use a palette, though.
sprites are normally easy to display, bc ground can be harder (because of cycle patterns)
maybe you can do some loops to play with priorities (0 to 7) and see if something changes

If you're seeing text, then I believe at least one NBG background is set up correctly.

It could also be that you have not initialized something correctly. Could it be that you have more than the necessary backgrounds enabled? It could be that one background is covering all the rest.

What about sprite priority? Aside from sprite types, you should have PRISA and PRINA set correctly.

sprites are normally easy to display, bc ground can be harder (because of cycle patterns)
maybe you can do some loops to play with priorities (0 to 7) and see if something changes

Sure. I'm using the SGL so I'm thinking the defaults should be okay, though.

It could also be that you have not initialized something correctly. Could it be that you have more than the necessary backgrounds enabled? It could be that one background is covering all the rest.

I have one other background setup. I could also disable it and see.

Sure. I'm using the SGL so I'm thinking the defaults should be okay, though.

I have one other background setup. I could also disable it and see.

Don't assume that the defaults should be okay. This could be the reason why you're seeing a black screen.

Spent the day working with cafe-alpha's dev cart. It was pretty productive! I figured out the problems for both the sprites and the backgrounds. Debugging cycles were much quicker than burning CD-Rs :)

(Saturn running from a video capture cable)

CPT0sCEUsAAQIKV.jpg-large.jpeg

The sprites were bad because of an uninitialized variable keeping track of texture locations.
The backgrounds were bad because I was using A0_BANK for tiles and A1_BANK for backgrounds. Switched both to use A0. I attempted to use B0 for both but the palette was wrong. Didn't really investigate further.

Updated code can be found here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17303735/Shooter.0.01.zip

So I'm quite happy that it runs now!

Last edited:
Back