San guo yan yi

Cecilia Chen

Ban Hammered
Hey guys,

Has anyone played "San Guo Yan Yi" for the SS? It seems to me like a really hard game to learn. I don't even know where to begin! There are too much things to remember like Food, Economies, weapons, armies, diplomatic relations, spies, recruiting... Its funny. When I play the game, it usualy leads to people starting a rebellion against me every time. Am I that bad!?!
smile.gif

I never heard of it.. I take it it's a Japanese only thing, sounds like it'd be a tricky one to get your head around if you didn't speak the language. Does sound interesting though..

Seems like this is a Chinese version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV. If that's correct, GameFAQs might produce something if you plug that title in...

Edit: looking at some other stuff, I think this might actually be one one of the other Romance of the Three Kingdoms / San Goku Shi games, possibly a remake of the first one...

In Chinese, San Guo Yan Yi:

San = 3, Guo = Country, Yan = Performance, Yi = Artistic

Performance + Artistic = Romance.

San Goku Shi? Sounds like the Japanese way of reading Chinese? But anyway the game is still freaken crazy!!! You have to manage everything, and still do little things like send spys to gather information, set plots to cause distrust in other states, ect ect. Its too much micromanaging for a game!

Edit: In case your wondering, San Guo Yan Yi is probably one of the most famous of Chinese books.

Sanguo Yanyi is one of my favorite Chinese stories along with Fengshen Yanyi and Shuihu Chuan. And yeah, they all have jacked up Japanese ways of reading the characters such as Sangoku Shi, Houshin Engi, and Suikoden.

Anyway, big fan of Sanguo, I've played and beaten all 8 of the games Lu Bei (also used Cao Cao in a few). I also played and beat the S-RPG Sanguo game called the Legend of Cao Cao. All excellent games, excellent stories. Koei is the best around at making hardcore strategy games.

BTW if you think Sanguo is hard, try beating Genghis Khan: Clan of the Gray Wolf. Hooooooly shit you will be crying for the pain to end. It's a sweet game but dear god is it hard. Easily the hardest of all Koei strategy series.

If you're finding Sanguo hard, you may want to pick up Royal Blood (Gemfire) on Megadrive or something else (the SHARP X68000 release is really really nice if you have the machine and can find the disks). It's kind of a simplifed version of Sanguo or Nobunaga with some new options and a fantasy setting. Not a hard game but a good game.

Have you played any of the Nobunaga no Yabou games? I got Nobunaga 8 a little while ago buy havn't gotten around to playing it.

Mei you la! If I can't play San Guo, I'd probably suck even more at the other games. Just out of curiousity, does the game change that much if you pick Liu Bei, or Sun Quan for example? Or does the story just slightly change for each player? I think it would be even harder if events and actions changed. How on earth do you remember what to do if on top of all that micro managing, each person had to go though a totaly diffrent game?

Don't have it? Darn.

They really don't make any major changes to the story as the story was never really that concrete in the games anyway (no real plot building opening, you just go BOOM right into the game). I think the man difference is in historical mode play. I never really noticed the difference though, it may have to do with who can join you and when or possibly ruler stats. The only major change if you pick Liu Bei or Sun Quan/Ce is really just in the challange. They control so little territory so it's a great uphill battle. But they're fun to pick if for no other reason than having Guan Yu
smile.gif

You more or less choose a ruler and as I like to think of it, have a chance to change history through your campaign. But since the game is totally different every time you play it there's really no concrete linear storyline (after all, you can win with Liu Bei
smile.gif
)

If you think 4 is tough, 8 is even worse
smile.gif
You have even more aspects added into the game including the ability to marry, etc.

Also, did you see the TV series? I never saw it yet, everyone tells me it's excellent and I keep meaning to buy the DVDs but money is always an issue
smile.gif
Maybe in another month or two.

If you interested in more Sanguo stuff you might want to check out http://www.sanguo-online.com/ They have an online store where you can buy some Sanguo games at very good prices, lots of guides for the games, and FTP's with some of the older Sanguo games. I used to visit the page a lot. Only recently haven't been going as much.

My big gripe with RTK games is how high Cao Cao's War stats are. Cao Cao was no doubt the most sucessful man of the three kingdoms time going from a lower court official to controlling half the country, but he was a real wimp in terms of fighting. His politics, intellect, etc are all pretty good but that war stat is just cranked way too high.

Edit: A few last min additions. As far as the micromanaging, it's not that bad compared to some games. But it's really the biggest part of the game so you get used to it pretty quick. Generally the game strategy works for all the characters, you just need to spend a bit more time developing your territory with some of the toguher people. Koei has this big flaw that in almost all their games as long as you build up your first province really high, you can just roll out like thunder and crush everyone else on the map. Like in Gemfire and Nobunaga if you have two provinces and just buld them up huge, you can roll out and smash everyone. The reson is frontline provinces tha tborder you tend to have mass quantities of soldiers, reserves, etc, while all the inner provinces of the territory have virtually no troops, poorer management, less food, etc. So once you crush the front lines of a terrirtory you can drive in and divide and conquer. The challange with the tougher RTK games, Genghis Khan, etc, is not getting yourself killed int he first few years while building up.

After you've beaten the game once or twice you'll see your advisors really suck and can develop better strategies yourself
smile.gif

I suppose it depends since some people view Cao Cao as having good stats because he did do pretty well compared to others. Do you play a lot of the Chinese games for the PC? I suppose the PC is better than anything else since mouse support is much better. Have you played San Guo Fighter 1/2?

One was strictly a fighting game, and the other had elements of both. I used to play those a long time ago.

hmm.

if you like games based on this part of history, I also recommend Kessen 2 (strategy) and Dynasty Warriors 2+3 (action with some strategy), for PS2. all of them are based on the same stories, and contain quite a bit of historical information too. although not having looked it up myself yet, I can't say how true/accurate their version is.

I try to play a lot of Chinese PC games but finding some spare money to pick them up is always a challange. I never got to play the Sanguo fighters because for some reason it wouldn't run under my Japanese Windows 98. I'll have to dig them back out now that I have XP which can run in Chinese compatability mode. I bought You Cheng Huan Jian Li by DYNASTY a few months ago and played through that, it was excellent. Really enjoyed the game, great music too. Around the same time I had bought Xun Qin Ji published by Zhi Guan Ke Ji but I found it rather um, shitty and boring, kind of turned me off from Zhi Guan Ke Ji published games for a while. I unfortunatly missed out on picking up DYNASTY's Thunder Force 2 (not to be confused with the Megadrive game) and the store never restocked, still a bit bummed about that. Been thinking about picking up Dragon & Wolf Story: Po Huang Zhi Lu or the new Swordsman game.

Both Kessen and Dynasty Warriors kinda left me with an "Oh... was that it?" kind of impression. I was expecting LOTS better, especially from Koei since they made Sanguo Yanyi, Fengshen Yanyi, Genghis Khan, Nobunaga no Yabou, Royal Blood, etc.

Koei does a whole lot better with the straight strategy style they're famous for than some of their off titles. Though they';re not that bad, better than a lot of the other crap out on PS2 >_<

Arakon --> Yes, I am aware of similar games, but the PSX2 has the same low resolution and Jaggies that I hated the PSX1 for.
smile.gif

But all that aside, San guo (Simulations) are already way too hard for me. I don't even know if the Japanese "interpetation/rendition" of the book/games is all that good ether (Or accurate). The only ones I have been able to play well were the Chinese San Guo Fighting games for the PC
smile.gif

Cecilia: There's Chinese versions of Sanguo Yanyi 1-8 available for the PC. And they're much much much less expensive than the Japanese versions
biggrin.gif

What's up with Japanese software anyway. Ys II Eternal is like $97 while the Chnese edition, just as good, is $30.

What's up with Japanese software anyway. Ys II Eternal is like $97 while the Chnese edition, just as good, is $30.

Perhaps they realize that if they charge some ridiculous amount, their potential Chinese customers will will just turn to local independent publishers.
biggrin.gif

I don't get it, there's like price benchmarks

Japan: $80-$110

Korea: $45-$60

China: $12-$35

Gee, which of those languages would I WANNA LEARN (given Soft World bring the few Jap PC games that don't suck ass to China...)

Originally posted by DBOY@May 27 2002,03:50

I don't get it, there's like price benchmarks

Japan: $80-$110

Korea: $45-$60

China: $12-$35

Gee, which of those languages would I WANNA LEARN (given Soft World bring the few Jap PC games that don't suck ass to China...)

The way I see it, the average person in China generally is not as rich as the average person in Korea nor Japan.

Yeah well I don't think the average American is as rich as either but somehow we're still shafted with $50 for new PC games which generally really aren't that stunning.

Most new computer games release at Media Play and Best Buy at $40-$50. Of course there's always your $9 discount bin with great games like "Redneck Rampage but I don't go there.

Back