Saturn VGA Box?

I run all my DC games through a DC VGA Box. I don't even have a real TV. Right now I play my Saturn through the TV card on my PC.

Is it possible to modify a Dreamcast VGA Box for use with a Sega Saturn?

no.

dreamcast already outputs the correct format for VGA.. 31 khz horizontal refresh rate. normal tv's 15 khz, and saturn just can't output it. you'd need an upscan converter.. cheap ones are blurry and ugly, the good ones are 200$+.

Actually, I think VDP2 can output VGA, but I doubt most of the games are coded to set it up that way. Some Dreamcast games have the same problem.

Well, if you can't get a VGA box for saturn, I would think a s-video cable should suffice. I don't personaly have one, but from what I hear they improve the quality quite considerably.

if you want to go good quality, you'll have to go RGB.. most TVs in europe support it, most amiga monitors too. only very few in US, unfortunately.

Quote: from Arakon on 3:59 pm on Oct. 11, 2001

no.

dreamcast already outputs the correct format for VGA.. 31 khz horizontal refresh rate. normal tv's 15 khz, and saturn just can't output it. you'd need an upscan converter.. cheap ones are blurry and ugly, the good ones are 200$+.
Hey Arakon, how would your rate the reception quality of the cheap, blurry ones on a regular computer monitor against regular composite cables on a regular TV? Better or worse, or about the same?

the output signal can never be much better than the input signal.. if you input composite, you get about or slightly better than composite quality.. s-video is much better, and of course, if you have a way, inputting RGB will result in a very good image, quality-wise. most expensive boxes support RGB-in, and most videogame systems output RGB on the av port, so that is a definite advantage.

Do you think s-video is worth owning? I use a normal cable connection for my sat, but I hear lots of good things about the s-video. Is it realy all that much better?

I actually have a RGB->RCA (composite) converter, and the quality is way below a direct composite output. it's a very cheap one, and it clearly shows. again it's a matter of the parts used.

Back