Save our gaming magazines

I have a ton of mags I would be happy to scan in, just let me know.. I have a ton of sega visions, dc mag and others..

Originally posted by it290@Mar 8, 2004 @ 05:51 AM

Heh heh.. more likely, everything has been done in Quark for quite awhile (although a lot of people have been switching as of late). It would be quite an undertaking to export all those to PDF.. you'd have to spend a great amount of time getting all the artwork, fonts etc together and then making PDFs and ensuring that nothing breaks along the way. In other words, if you were to convince some editor give up all the originals, you'd have to get someone to do all that work, which would likely take nearly as long (if not longer) as batch scanning the mags would.

Presumably all the fonts and graphics would have to be packaged together with all the image links fixed before they sent it off to press. If you have the software they originally authored it in (as opposed to running it through some nasty converter) you should be able to print through acrobat distiller to get a PDF without much hassle at all.

True, but it's still a time consuming process, especially with the number of images in your average video game magazine. Faster than scanning, but still not that quick. Not to mention the fact that there will probably be some issues with opening the files in newer versions of the software.

Well if this is to work, there needs to be standards set. Maybe an example of different scans at dif resolutions setup different ways (but I think most agree pdf?). That way we can get sumthin good enuf and small enuf.

What do you say Racket? Care to lead w/ the examples?

hehe yeah -- I'll have some example in about a week.

PDF is best.

I supposed 150dpi would be acceptable. I'm personally going to keep a 300dpi copy of mine for myself, but that isn't real practical for net transfer.

But I would expect scans to be cleaned up as much as possible. I would recommend that pages are de-spined cleanly so we can get a good scan of the whole page. But for thinner mags such as Sega Visions, we might be able to get away with keeping them intact.

Anything else?

Well, one tip for people scanning mags without cutting them apart is to place a phone book or some other heavy object on top of the scanner lid after you close it. It'll help reduce the out-of-focus/dark edges commonly seen when scanning bound pages.

Originally posted by Quakester2000@Jun 23, 2004 @ 03:58 PM

Sega Saturn Magazine Issue 22

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~saturn/ibforu...p?showtopic=428

This is the only one I've DL'd so far.

Just to critique... the resolution is a bit small.

Also there are a bunch of easy things that could have been done to make them nicer.

Contrast could have been a little higher and corners and such could have been easily touched up in Photoshop.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 23, 2004 @ 04:10 PM

This is the only one I've DL'd so far.

Just to critique... the resolution is a bit small.

Also there are a bunch of easy things that could have been done to make them nicer.

Contrast could have been a little higher and corners and such could have been easily touched up in Photoshop.

I didnt do that one. I hope more people dump their SSM to PDF as it would be great to have all 30 or so of the magazines for the future.

Paper decays so we need to backup old mags soon.

Originally posted by it290@Jun 23, 2004 @ 09:04 AM

Well, one tip for people scanning mags without cutting them apart is to place a phone book or some other heavy object on top of the scanner lid after you close it. It'll help reduce the out-of-focus/dark edges commonly seen when scanning bound pages.

You catch all that racket? :D

yup

Good news though -- my wife finishes teaching piano this week so she'll be able to help me scan mags during the day -- and I can do them at night.

She is willing to do so since I told her I would get rid of them if I get them scanned :)

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 24, 2004 @ 11:01 PM

She is willing to do so since I told her I would get rid of them if I get them scanned :)

Hehe sounds like my g/f. She would be glad to help me with anything concerning my video games if afterwards I would be getting rid of them :lol:

Im slowly getting her into games though. Sonic Adventure is starting to become addictive for her. :devil

Anywho, I also have a few Sega Visions Magazines. Im not sure how good of shape they are in as I used to take them to school with me in my backpack. The covers are probably pretty ripped up. Ill hafta check the condition and issue numbers.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 25, 2004 @ 05:12 AM

ripped ones are better than nothing

if somebody else has that issue, we can skip it.

Wonder if segaxtreme will have a magazines section im sure it would be popular.

Back