SDLoader v0.12: run binaries from SD Card and backup/restore saves

Extension cables are very cheap on AliExpress, perhaps work in a design that uses an actual controller connector head?
Multiple options are available. Shorter cable may achieve fast read and write speeds.:)

Murzik's scheme makes it easier for us to backup and restore memory card files. Can you study how to convert memory card file between the Real Hardware and the EMU(yaba、ssf....)?

I have tested yaba pro 1.9.2, It can't use BKSV4M.BIN.

Last edited:
Multiple options are available. Shorter lines may achieve fast read and write speeds.:)

Murzik's scheme makes it easier for us to backup and restore memory card files. Can you study how to convert memory card file between the Real Hardware and the EMU(yaba、ssf....)?

I have tested yaba pro 1.9.2, It can't use BKSV4M.BIN.
Thats very great, tzmwx! I like it much more than cable version. And much shorter way for electrons to travel :) 1.6mm? Ok, checked readme.txt. Nice work!
I will add it to first topic.
Thank you
Thanks!
I need your GIRL.BIN!

Who is this girl?
Maybe you have a better presentation program?

Attachments

• ED198576-6101-485C-9C49-2667BA0CD1AA.jpeg
    ED198576-6101-485C-9C49-2667BA0CD1AA.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 187
I agree, that it is very nice when there are many options and alternatives for one to choose. Cable is good for fast prototyping (especially, if you have dupont crimping tool, you may connect sd card module very fast without any soldering, for example), but pcb connector-module version looks more solid and compact, and with blue solder mask it looks very harmoniously with sd card module :)

Thanks!
I need your GIRL.BIN!

Who is this girl?
Maybe you have a better presentation program?
:)
It is old demo by Bart Trzynadlowski. Attached with source code, just run included bmp8bpp.bin. Image search states that she is actress. But more interesting, is that she became for sdloader something like Lenna for digital images. Her image was first, what was succesfully loaded by sdloader :)

UPDATE
I created bios patch, which changes bios default sector size to 256b. Patch your bios with it, and use patched bios in any emulator to access your BKSV4M.BIN in 256 mode. It is powershell script, so run it, for example, from cmd line:
Code:
powershell.exe -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File 256patch.ps1 YOUR_BIOS_FILE
It will save patched bios as YOUR_BIOS_FILE.patched.bin
So, you no need converter to use your backup save file, just change bios to patched, when you need 256 mode.

OLD information, use patch
About 256b/sector BKSV4M.BIN. I never tried yaba pro. But if you dont mind to try Yabause v0.9.15, then to access your BKSV4M.BIN in 256b/sector mode, just do this:
- go in Yabause settings=>advanced, and select "SH2 Debugger Interpreter" for SH2 Interpreter.
- then in cart/memory, choose "4 Mbit Backup Ram" and select your BKSV4M.BIN.
- run emulation and pause it (optional) and go to Debug=>Master SH2 and in "Code Breakpoints" paste 060F0092 and press "Add", then close debug menu and continue execution (if paused).
- to check saves, tap rshift/shift, then it breaks when some bup_* function will be working and said "Breakpoint reached" then Debug menu appeared. In left part of debug window, just click on R8 value and change from 400 to 800, and R10 from 200 to 100 and close debug window.

When memory manager appeared, you will see that your cart accessed as 256b/sector. And yes, you will need this procedure every time bup_* functions works.

As i said, i never used yaba pro, if it is Yabause fork, probably you may repeat there everything stated above.

256b.jpg

256b_2.jpg

Attachments

• bmp8bpp.zip
    61.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 256patch.zip
    305 bytes · Views: 187
Last edited:
Found two of my old backup ram carts (one is "backup", other is "power memory"). They both are 0x1 id and both use same at29c040a, so, both are 256 page size. For test, i restored your backup dump - everything works fine.
Also backed one cart and with bios 256 patch it works great in yabause.

Attachments

• backram00.jpg
    backram00.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 187
  • backram01.jpg
    backram01.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 172
  • backram02.jpg
    backram02.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
On that note, if you create a resource, I can assign this thread as the "discussion" thread and it'll magic things together right.

For the real Saturn, the TV screen is black and there is no video signal after burning the disc, what is going on? The game console does not crash, because pressing XYZ+start can return to the main screen normally.

For the real Saturn, the TV screen is black and there is no video signal after burning the disc, what is going on? The game console does not crash, because pressing XYZ+start can return to the main screen normally.
What is your output setup and console output mode (50/60, some upscaling devices/converters)? Because lastest release had some incompatibility with OSSC. Anyway here is OSSC friendly release.

Attachments

• sdloader0375.zip
    140.5 KB · Views: 145
A normal video cable is used. I tried 3 TVs, and finally a normal one can display normally. All are full-scale TVs. The two TVs that cannot be displayed have the function of automatically turning off the screen when the video signal is lost. After booting from the CD, there will be a momentary signal mid-segment before entering the application, and then it will be displayed.
I tried 2 game consoles, the US version and the Japanese version, and this is the case.
Also, I don't know if I can make the font bigger. The current fonts display no problem on the emulator, but it feels blurry on the TV.

The new version has been tested, and the display is all normal. Because online shopping here is very convenient, it costs only 3.7 ¥ to buy a card reader (0.5 $, including postage, customized PCB1.5 $/5 pieces). However, because there is no electronic document of PCB, I had to manually make a connector to test the function. Although it looks simple, it can be used.

Attachments

• IMG_20221120_205056.jpg
    IMG_20221120_205056.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Created patch for PSKAI Lite v6.483 which allow it to boot files from SD card (for example, to load SDLoader).
Connect sd card to gameport2, same schematics as SDLoader, place boot.bin at SD card root. To boot it from patched PSKAI Lite, from main menu go to "Exit" and then select "Launch SD:\BOOT.BIN". It replaces "Exit to Multiplayer", but to exit to multiplayer, just use ABC+Start

If SD chainloader cant boot file from SD card - it just exits to multiplayer.

To patch PSKAI Lite v6.483 image use xdelta patcher:
Code:
xdelta3-3.1.0-x86_64.exe -d -s PSKAI256.BIN PSKAISD.xdelta PSKAISD.BIN

Get PSKAI256.BIN from pskai_release_20211113.7z archive The PSKAI256.BIN image is in tools\pskai_sdm iso image (it is in FW\ directory of this image)

To flash patched image, you may use SDLoader - select your cart with LSHIFT/RSHIFT and if its compatible, just restore (flash) patched image.

MD5 to verify:
bbe5f0ced74427e6e1cfb2c65309f975 *PSKAI256.BIN (Original PSKAI Lite v6.483)
b0303963aa3ff65c0299261b85259afc *PSKAISD.BIN (Patched PSKAI Lite v6.483)

Attachments

• PSKAISD.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Hi, what a great project!

I have ordered the parts needed but couldn't wait to try so I made a makeshift version of the adapter this evening.
Used a cheap micro SD card slot and a 5V to 3.3V power regulator and built it around the Mega Drive to Saturn controller adapter as it has easily accessible pins. I put some JST connector pins on the wires and connected them to the controller port. Soldering to the card slot was a bit challenging but it holds well enough.

This is the pinout for Mega Drive adapter:
Code:
SD    MD    Name             Color
2     7     TH/CS            white
3     9     TR/MOSI(DI)      blue
4     5     VCC(VDD)         red
5     4     DATA3/SCK(SCLK)  yellow
6     8     GND(VSS)         black
7     3     DATA2/MISO(DO)   green

The most time I spent was on figuring out how to flash the PSKAISD.BIN onto the cart. At first, I tried to replace the original PSKAI256.BIN on the pskai_flasher_lite.iso and that didn't work. The README said that it is possible to flash the cart with SDLoader but it wasn't clear how until I read your last comment.

Now everything works fine and I was able to create a backup of my saves with no issues.

Previously I was using Save Game Copier and it was taking a lot of time and effort, now it takes just a few seconds. I'm finally ready to make the FRAM mod not worrying that my backed-up saves are not up to date.

Thank you!

Attachments

• photo_1_2023-01-10_22-01-18.jpg
    photo_1_2023-01-10_22-01-18.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 194
  • photo_2_2023-01-10_22-01-18.jpg
    photo_2_2023-01-10_22-01-18.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 186
  • photo_3_2023-01-10_22-01-18.jpg
    photo_3_2023-01-10_22-01-18.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 176
  • photo_4_2023-01-10_22-01-18.jpg
    photo_4_2023-01-10_22-01-18.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 173
  • photo_6_2023-01-10_22-01-18.jpg
    photo_6_2023-01-10_22-01-18.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Thank you!
Glad that SDloader is useful for you! And its always nice when you get things to work as you want using only spare parts you have at hands right here and right now )
For safety, maybe add schottky (anode to sdcard and pullup to 3.3v regulator, cathode to gameport, or probably, even 1n4148 will be enough for low level detection too), or just resistor dividers (im sure it would be ok for freqs used by sdloader) to mosi/sck lines?

For safety, maybe add schottky (anode to sdcard and pullup to 3.3v regulator, cathode to gameport, or probably, even 1n4148 will be enough for low level detection too), or just resistor dividers (im sure it would be ok for freqs used by sdloader) to mosi/sck lines?
You're right, I didn't realize that but it seems that it is required to regulate SCK, MOSI and CS lines down to 3.3v as well. I will most likely not do this on this flimsy "prototype" and just wait for a proper module to arrive but thanks for pointing this out!

Anyone here selling this? I picked one up. Look forward to backing up my backup ram carts.

Back